Calendar Event: November 4, 2012

Waitomo Forest Tracks Official Opening!

Postby KieranC on Fri 14/Sep/12 10:40am

Date Change- 11am Sunday the 4th of November
At the end of Ngatapuae Rd, Waitomo

After many years of digging and discussions the trails of the Waitomo Forest will be officially opened.

The Department of Conservation have contributed a sign/map board to go at the end of Ngatapuae Rd and a number of markers for out on the tracks.
There will be a karakia from local Iwi representatives at the unveiling.

Then it will be time to go for a ride :thumbsup:

It will happen regardless of the weather, so bring a brolly and a jacket if it looks like rain is on the cards.
Last edited by KieranC on Sat 6/Oct/12 6:05pm, edited 2 times in total.
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Waitomo Forest Tracks Official Opening!

Postby Simonk on Sat 15/Sep/12 7:36pm

Congratulations!

I think we have a photo of you we can use in the 9th edition of Classic NZ MTB Rides. :)
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Sat 15/Sep/12 7:54pm

Sweet.

Love those trails.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby xxixss on Wed 26/Sep/12 11:47am

What grade are these tracks??, kid friendly???
xxixss
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby KieranC on Fri 5/Oct/12 7:55am

xxixss wrote:What grade are these tracks??, kid friendly???

Sorry about the slow response, the single tracks are about grade 3 (they have a low gradient but tend to be a bit narrow) and the 4x4 track has nice riding in parts(1+) and in others it can be a bit rutted (2).
The 4x4 track runs parrallel to most of the single tracks so it makes for a good access track/gives riders options.

They are pretty kid friendly, but definitetly not suited to a 20'' single speed. So if they are riding anything with a couple of gears and have some of those bouncy spring things on the front they should have an enjoyable time :)
KieranC

Postby otomtb11 on Wed 10/Oct/12 7:16am

Hi there when is the map going up??
otomtb11
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby KieranC on Wed 10/Oct/12 7:42am

On the 4th of November :thumbsup:
KieranC

Postby otomtb11 on Wed 10/Oct/12 11:55am

Thanks see you there
otomtb11

Postby otomtb11 on Sun 4/Nov/12 6:09pm

Thanks for the tour today we enjoyed it.
otomtb11

Postby kingmooloo on Wed 16/Jan/13 9:25pm

Great. Anywhere online we can see the map. How long are the track etc
kingmooloo
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby KieranC on Wed 23/Jan/13 10:21am

If you scratch waitomo mtb map into the search engine here on vorb it might come up with a topomap with extra stuff scribbled on it.

other wise theres 1-2 hours of grade 3-5 single track and a map board at the waitomo end :thumbsup:
KieranC

Postby kingmooloo on Mon 28/Jan/13 9:32pm

Just got back from my first ride there. Awesome. Very impressed. Will be back for sure :)
kingmooloo
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby DesmondD on Sun 16/Feb/14 2:32pm

I'm an old fullah new to mountain biking but am coming up to Waitomo this week. May I ask for the latest info on these trails. I'm looking for some beginners trails, maybe with a wee bit of intermediate level if it's signalled in advance! I'm not too keen on surprises,
(KierenC - sorry for the cross-posting - I sent my PM to you before I saw this more recent thread! )
DesmondD
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby KieranC on Sun 16/Feb/14 8:17pm

We've been doing a bit of pruning over summer so it's in reasonable nick, stay away from the track to Te Raumakau rd though we haven't cut that for a long time. Signage is there but it can be hard to spot(work in progress :) ).

I have heard that some parts are similar to Wainuiomata trails which you might be familiar with? The main track along the ridge and back has a low average gradient on the single track which may suit your riding style, however it is narrow in parts which will provide you with a bit more challenge :thumbsup:. Think of the gradient of an average grade 2 track with the narrowness of a tramping track and If you ask me its got flow.

There is one little single track that shoots off to the left as you ride back to Waitomo(south) at the top of a long, straight hill on the 4x4 track- I don't think you will enjoy that one as much unless you're having a blast on the other stuff as its a bit steeper.

There aren't too many other options locally yet, there is some development around Pirongia and the Pureora timber trail which would be really close if you drive through Taumaranui.

Hope this helps :)
KieranC

Postby Tread Routes on Sat 20/Sep/14 9:30pm

Hi guys, sounds like there are some track to explore, but I am having difficulty finding any more info about them online.

Can anyone tell me the current condition of these tracks?

How many KM in total?

Is there a recommended route or loop?

Is there a map available (online or in print)?

Who manages the trails and who can I speak to about promoting them?

Thanks for any advice,
Ted
Tread Routes
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts