Epic Waikato Mtb Touring Loop?

Postby jimmi on Thu 16/Aug/12 7:51am

Been planning my next tour....this looks like a goodie......

Day 1: Park in Putaruru, take the back road (Leslie Rd) all the way to Rotorua and stay there or just south.
Day 2: Ride the new Cycleway from Rotorua to Orakei Korako and ride down to Taupo to overnight.
Day 3: Ride the W2k, then to Kawakawa Bay and out to the road. Mosie down to Mangakino and stay there.
Day 4: Ride the Waikato River trail to Arapuni then out to Putaruru

Bit more planning and logictics to do, but it looks like 70 - 100 km a day on epic trails. Roll on Summer
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Epic Waikato Mtb Touring Loop?

Postby MikeyD on Thu 16/Aug/12 9:23am

sounds like fun!!!!!
fingers crossed the rain stops hahaha :)
MikeyD
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 16/Aug/12 6:37pm

Sounds like a pretty cool ride :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby znomit on Thu 16/Aug/12 6:41pm

jimmi wrote:Roll on Summer

Why wait?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby jimmi on Fri 17/Aug/12 4:21pm

znomit wrote:
jimmi wrote:Roll on Summer

Why wait?

Good point! I need 4 days free and being a teacher this only happens in the holidays. Sep holidays will be riding around Ohakune (Fishers, Old Coach, etc) so the Waikato mission is most likely to be in Xmas hols.

Ive also got my eye on a 1 day Hunua Ranges traverse and 2 day Hauraki Rail trail mission.

Loving the National Cycleways!
jimmi

Postby stealth mode on Sat 18/Aug/12 11:25am

Im doing Waotu - Kinloch next Saturday

River Trail to Waipapa Dam, Ranginui Rd to Pureora, 8km of Timber Trail, Forestry roads to Western Bays Rd, Whangamata Rd to Great Lake Trail. Stay in the Kin get merry and ride back the next day :thumbsup:
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby jimmi on Sat 18/Aug/12 6:50pm

stealth mode wrote:Im doing Waotu - Kinloch next Saturday

River Trail to Waipapa Dam, Ranginui Rd to Pureora, 8km of Timber Trail, Forestry roads to Western Bays Rd, Whangamata Rd to Great Lake Trail. Stay in the Kin get merry and ride back the next day :thumbsup:

That looks like an epic loop. I didnt know the forest roads link up from the Timber trail to Western Bays Road. Cant wait for the timber trail to go the whole way through to Ongarue!
jimmi

Postby stealth mode on Sun 19/Aug/12 12:21pm

jimmi wrote:
stealth mode wrote:Im doing Waotu - Kinloch next Saturday

That looks like an epic loop. I didnt know the forest roads link up from the Timber trail to Western Bays Road. Cant wait for the timber trail to go the whole way through to Ongarue!

was checking them out on google earth, looked into getting a topo for the area so gave the DOC Pureora office a call. Lady on the line said there was no need for topo as it was well signed to get to WB rd, she also said I could ride first 8km of Timber Trail, but couldnt tell me when I could ride the whole thing
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts