Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Trail on Wed 15/Aug/12 9:41pm

If any of you are interested, BikeNZ are changing the way that clubs around the country that have membership with them.

A copy of the document and questions with answers can be found http://membershipchanges.wordpress.com/

Feel free to go along, read the document and ask questions.

know there has been some discussion of the way BikeNZ have handled some things recently on here...
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby steak and cheese on Wed 15/Aug/12 10:37pm

Trail wrote: know there has been some discussion of the way BikeNZ have handled some things recently on here...


or 'mishandled' as the case may be...
steak and cheese
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Jimmy_Riddle on Thu 16/Aug/12 10:53am

What do clubs get for the extra great wacking fee. Not a lot by the look of it. The Nelson club fee basically doubles and for what. Not a great deal that I can see. There don't appear top be any benefits over the current format for all of the extra costs. Our Nelson club fee will nearly double to meet this new format and there are no tangible benefits from the increase. Clubs should not get sucked in to this model.
Jimmy_Riddle
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Jono on Thu 16/Aug/12 12:44pm

These are similar thoughts to what I have. It's not clear what our club members would benefit from the increased levy; we either have to put up our membership by $10 a person, or lose 50% of the membership fees.

Looking through the membership stuff, it's not clear what differentiated benefit people will get. Membership to a website? There's plenty of free mtb websites around. NZ content? Spoke, Vorb etc already do that. Local co-ordination? Facebook seems to be working pretty well on that front.
Jono
User avatar
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Jono on Thu 16/Aug/12 12:45pm

Mostly, my concern is that it's not clear what problem bikeNZ is trying to solve for us.
Jono
User avatar
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Trail on Thu 16/Aug/12 12:59pm

Yup. Our mtb club fee is currently $20 of which $5 goes to BikeNZ. To be with Bike NZ the club would have to pay a fee to BikeNZ and then $15 per member would go to BikeNZ as well, which would mean the cost of joining the club would go up to $30 if we wanted the same contribution from members. One of our things was having a low membership fee to join the club to make it affordable for people to join.

We do a lot of trail development and run a number of races. The one thing that I am interested in is that there is a fund for trail building, which you can apply for if your club is building trails... but we already apply for and get funding for building trails/running races from various other sources. I worry that the fund that BikeNZ is providing would be political or lost in bureaucracy and so we would end up paying money that would never be seen back in the trails we put so much work into??
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby thekiwi on Thu 16/Aug/12 12:59pm

Jono wrote:Mostly, my concern is that it's not clear what problem bikeNZ is trying to solve for us.

The problem they have is that there are a lot of people riding bikes for which BikeNZ dont collect any $$$'s
thekiwi
User avatar
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby gristle on Thu 16/Aug/12 1:22pm

And what - they want to clip the ticket?

I can see the trail fund being messy, applying for funds, etc. I wonder what their requirements would be.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 16/Aug/12 1:41pm

Likely they will need to employ more people to manage all of this. Goodbye additional levy.....................

Like a previous post mentioned. lots of Riders whose ticket is not being clipped.

And BNZ want some of it. Sounds familiar..

Someone should set up a parrallel organisation, that focusses on riding activities, and intelligent advocacy.

Not coming up with old ideas, putting a new spin on, and trying to make money out of it.
RugbySucks
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Conners on Thu 16/Aug/12 1:55pm

gristle wrote:And what - they want to clip the ticket?

I can see the trail fund being messy, applying for funds, etc. I wonder what their requirements would be.

Apply for funding for a riding surface of dirt armoured with rock, running in an ad-hoc fasion through some regenerating native bush - and have the money given to a wooden track built indoors?
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby danose on Thu 16/Aug/12 2:07pm

gristle wrote:I can see the trail fund being messy, applying for funds, etc. I wonder what their requirements would be.


my peeve with the trail fund is all money will be centralised and doled back out to 'worthy' projects - it should be managed at a local/regional level so that money gathered from one area stays to develop tracks in that area

I don't mind giving $15 a year to fund trail building - if it develops tracks in the south island - if it's used to develop tracks up in Rotorua I'm not so happy. Similarly I doubt many auckland riders will be delighted to know their $15 sub is helping upgrade tracks in queenstown
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 16/Aug/12 2:08pm

likely that too.
RugbySucks
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby thekiwi on Thu 16/Aug/12 2:10pm

danose wrote:
gristle wrote:I can see the trail fund being messy, applying for funds, etc. I wonder what their requirements would be.


my peeve with the trail fund is all money will be centralised and doled back out to 'worthy' projects - it should be managed at a local/regional level so that money gathered from one area stays to develop tracks in that area

I don't mind giving $15 a year to fund trail building - if it develops tracks in the south island - if it's used to develop tracks up in Rotorua I'm not so happy. Similarly I doubt many auckland riders will be delighted to know their $15 sub is helping upgrade tracks in queenstown

When we attended the Road Show with Bike NZ, Im pretty sure this was raised and the money collected is initially weighted towards regional initiatives ... but sometimes, more "global" ones could take priority .
thekiwi
User avatar
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby gristle on Thu 16/Aug/12 2:22pm

Conners wrote:
gristle wrote:And what - they want to clip the ticket?

I can see the trail fund being messy, applying for funds, etc. I wonder what their requirements would be.

Apply for funding for a riding surface of dirt armoured with rock, running in an ad-hoc fasion through some regenerating native bush - and have the money given to a wooden track built indoors?


Yep, those track bikes would not go well on the dirt huh. The old bait and switch.

Off topic, still loads of rock where we are digging now, and stuff you guys did is holding up well.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby Sims on Thu 16/Aug/12 2:26pm

Your king demands higher taxes!
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

60 Users browsing this website: arch24, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], pushbikerider and 54 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7