Have a look at the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8W ... r_embedded

F'ing scary behaviour in a standard evasion test!! :crazy:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: A Good Reason Not To Buy A Jeep Cherokee

Postby happybaboon on Mon 13/Aug/12 9:04pm

Also people will think you are an asshole if you buy a jeep cherokee.

Bet Volvo and Volkswagen are loving that clip.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Farm on Mon 13/Aug/12 9:08pm

Only one of the passengers is wearing a cycle helmet, I hope they aren't breaking any helmet laws?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Mon 13/Aug/12 9:34pm

happybaboon wrote:Also people will think you are an asshole if you buy a jeep cherokee.

Bet Volvo and Volkswagen are loving that clip.

Its ok, I think anyone driving a new Volvo or Volkswagen are arseholes as well :D
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 13/Aug/12 10:19pm

needs betterer title

A good reason not to buy any fucking big, high centre of gravity SUV, when you only really need a car
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 13/Aug/12 10:27pm

Ha!

Apparently when challenged by Chrysler the "testers" couldn't replicate that. :eh:

If its the one I know about anyway, the theory is they deliberately overloaded it to make it tip over. :hmmm:

Still doesn't change the fact that SUV's aren't cars, so they don't handle like cars, yet dumbasses try and drive them like a car! :crazy:
I know our Vitara doesn't handle like me old Subie did, but then not may cars handle like it did either! :D
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 14/Aug/12 3:46am

Percy Pig wrote:Ha!
If its the one I know about anyway, the theory is they deliberately overloaded it to make it tip over. :hmmm: ...

The story that it was 50kg overloaded got around the blogs and blog comments sections quickly, and had the desired effect on the target market. The fact that TV has done the moose test on thousands of cars over the last 40 years and have a solid reputation is not mentioned.

TV have detailed their test procedure - they first used the recommended maximum load from the owner's manual, almost resulting in a tipover.
For the second set of tests the car was loaded by Chrysler's engineers, and they used 100kg LESS than the max recommended load. This is where Chrysler's false claim that "TV could not replicate the wheel lifting in front of our engineers" came from. The truth is they didn't try to repeat with a full load.
What they did find this time is that instead of tipping the tyre rolled off the rim and deflated 7 times out of 11.

The european vehicles were under control at 43.5mph, this year's Jeep was up on two wheels at 39.5mph.
Last year's model was OK at 42mph so something has changed. TV noted that the ESP didn't seem to do much this year.

They also said "the car that was tested weighed substantially more than what is indicated by the official figures provided by Jeep/Chrysler and if you pack the car to the specified maximum cargo weight the total gross weight is substantially exceeded – in Sweden as well as in Norway and the United Kingdom."
This is where the allegation of overloading comes from. If your bathroom scales are accurate up to 3 tons then you can check the gross weight before leaving for holiday and discover that using the advertised load capacity has put the vehicle 158kg over the max. gross weight.

Read this:
http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part2/
http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Tue 14/Aug/12 4:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 14/Aug/12 4:02am

Percy Pig wrote:I know our Vitara doesn't handle like me old Subie did, but then not may cars handle like it did either! :D

:love:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 14/Aug/12 10:21am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... lo8oUt0b2w :crazy:

Why it pays to stick to the subject when heading over to youtube
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 14/Aug/12 11:46am

Simonius_Titius wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:Ha!
If its the one I know about anyway, the theory is they deliberately overloaded it to make it tip over. :hmmm: ...

The story that it was 50kg overloaded got around the blogs and blog comments sections quickly, and had the desired effect on the target market. The fact that TV has done the moose test on thousands of cars over the last 40 years and have a solid reputation is not mentioned.

TV have detailed their test procedure - they first used the recommended maximum load from the owner's manual, almost resulting in a tipover.
For the second set of tests the car was loaded by Chrysler's engineers, and they used 100kg LESS than the max recommended load. This is where Chrysler's false claim that "TV could not replicate the wheel lifting in front of our engineers" came from. The truth is they didn't try to repeat with a full load.
What they did find this time is that instead of tipping the tyre rolled off the rim and deflated 7 times out of 11.

The european vehicles were under control at 43.5mph, this year's Jeep was up on two wheels at 39.5mph.
Last year's model was OK at 42mph so something has changed. TV noted that the ESP didn't seem to do much this year.

They also said "the car that was tested weighed substantially more than what is indicated by the official figures provided by Jeep/Chrysler and if you pack the car to the specified maximum cargo weight the total gross weight is substantially exceeded – in Sweden as well as in Norway and the United Kingdom."
This is where the allegation of overloading comes from. If your bathroom scales are accurate up to 3 tons then you can check the gross weight before leaving for holiday and discover that using the advertised load capacity has put the vehicle 158kg over the max. gross weight.

Read this:
http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part2/
http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/

Interesting, i might have a read of them when I get home, not really kosher reading at work! :paranoid:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 14/Aug/12 11:46am

Bigfoot wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:I know our Vitara doesn't handle like me old Subie did, but then not may cars handle like it did either! :D

:love:

I still miss that car. :(
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts