Aero Wheels Question

Postby VERT on Wed 11/Jul/12 7:43am

I am looking to get some aero wheels for my Tri bike (for Triathlons). I was looking at some 88mm deep rim wheels that look like a good deal. Except i am wondering if 88mm will be too deep for a front when it comes to cross winds?

I plan on using the bike for Triathlons in Wellington and Taupo. With a 88mm front wheel what would it be like for that Wellington wind?

Would i be better of purchasing a 50mm deep set (another good deal atm)?
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Aero Wheels Question

Postby Joel on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:16am

you want as deep as you can get for the back, regardless of the wind. i have ridden my disc in very strong winds without much bother.

front wheel. it does pay to have options... so ideally you would have a deep front, and a mid depth front to go with your deep rear.

what are the wheels?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:20am

answer is: depends.

my n=1 sample , I currently use a 58mm deep front and a disc with zero issues with winds just shy of gale force winds and I'm in the process of getting a 90mm front wheel.

how heavy are you, that will have some bearing on how well you can control the deeper wheel up front. I'd suggest running a disc rear as it helps balance out the sideways pressure front to rear, evens out the front twitch in to more of a sideways push.
( discs don't have to be expensive either, I run a wheelbuilder cover over a box rim as my rear wheel )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby VERT on Wed 11/Jul/12 8:23am

They are Grammo 88's

So would 88mm be fine for the front?

Im around 73-75kgs
VERT

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 11/Jul/12 11:05am

I reckon you'd be ok for the most part. there may be a learning curve. most folks I have heard of/spoken with that have those wheels like them ( the AC hubs sometimes get outed as a weak point ).
the main reason I don't like the grammos personally is that I can't be arsed dealing with tubs
slidecontrol

Postby Joel on Wed 11/Jul/12 11:09am

i have heard that Grammo are susceptable to cross winds. which comes down to the rim profile. (ie straight V).

my dedicated TT wheelset is a Trispoke front and disc rear. i run them in all conditions.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby VERT on Wed 11/Jul/12 12:14pm

Ok cool, thanks
VERT

Postby Kiwicyclo on Wed 11/Jul/12 12:52pm

I run a 90 mm on the front as my first choice with a 66 mm option if needed. A disc on the rear always.

Being in the 80kg plus range helps control any wind effect. In saying that I have been picked up and shifted sideways at Motu 2 years ago.

You need to be relaxed on the bike and if it meant I needed to drop rim profile to achieve this I would on the front. Staying aero is more important than fighting a front wheel in the wind.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby Joel on Wed 11/Jul/12 3:53pm

thats a good point
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 11/Jul/12 4:19pm

what sort of bike are you putting the wheels on?
TT/tri bikes tend to have more front end stability while road bikes set up in an aggressive tri position can become a bit twitchy in their own right
slidecontrol

Postby VERT on Wed 11/Jul/12 7:20pm

Giant Trinity Alliance (its that carbon alloy model).
VERT

Postby wachtourak on Thu 12/Jul/12 3:47pm

just cut up a circle out of a real estate sign and ziptie it over your spokes it'll be mean as bro
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Oli on Thu 12/Jul/12 5:25pm

wachtourak wrote:just cut up a circle out of a real estate sign and ziptie it over your spokes it'll be mean as bro

Wow, you must be some kind of big noter! :o
3724193079_d9a9598394_b.jpg
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby VERT on Thu 12/Jul/12 8:44pm

wachtourak wrote:just cut up a circle out of a real estate sign and ziptie it over your spokes it'll be mean as bro

And if i paint it black it will look like carbon too
VERT

Postby Spokes on Thu 12/Jul/12 8:54pm

Glad wrap for the win.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Tramping - Latest Posts