Mtbing/hiking In Czech Repub, Slovakia, Austria, Any Tips?

Postby Sickman on Fri 6/Jul/12 6:31pm

I am heading to Prague in the Czech Republic for the World Rogaine Champs at the end of August.
Was keen to do some Mountain BIking and hiking in the area while I was there.
Does anyone have any info on mountain biking or hiking in the area (Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Eastern half of Austria [i.e. Vienna])
Also to do the mountain biking I would need to hire a bike over there, so any place to hire or MTB tour guides with bikes.
For biking I am keen on doing Trail riding
Sickman
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Mtbing/hiking In Czech Repub, Slovakia, Austria, Any Tips?

Postby Richie_D on Sat 7/Jul/12 5:56pm

I did a bit of tramping in the Tartra Mountains (border of Slovakia and Poland) en route to the 2008 WRC in Estonia if that's of interest? We camped at Tartranska Lomnica and did a few day trips from there. We also did a trip from Zakopane on the Polish side.

It was OK, but other places in Central/Eastern Europe were better. Slovenia and Austria in particular.

Can't recall the MTBing situation, but Tartranska Lomnica was well set up for many outdoor pursuits.

PM me if you want me to dig up my notes and any publications I picked up.

Good luck for WRC. Jealous! :thumbsup:

cheers
Richie_D
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby Sickman on Sat 21/Jul/12 4:11am

Cheers for that. I have been looking also at the High Tatras Range for some hiking. Sounds like Tatranska Lomnica might be a good base for that, sounds a bit less touristy.
Austria and Slovenia would be nice but short on time for that.

The Spas sound like a good option post WRC. We are aiming for top 3 in Vet mens. Will be interesting to see if Chris and Marcel can dominate like they did in the last WRC in Cheviot.
Sickman

Postby kaiteri on Tue 24/Jul/12 8:48pm

Heading there soon (Zurich-Zagreb) for some cycle touring & mtbing and wondering about the availability & type of the small gas cannisters used for camping stoves. Our experience in France, Italy & Spain so far is that they're hard to find and the type of fitting varies from region to region :crazy:

Richie_D wrote:I did a bit of tramping in the Tartra Mountains (border of Slovakia and Poland) en route to the 2008 WRC in Estonia if that's of interest? We camped at Tartranska Lomnica and did a few day trips from there. We also did a trip from Zakopane on the Polish side.

It was OK, but other places in Central/Eastern Europe were better. Slovenia and Austria in particular.

Can't recall the MTBing situation, but Tartranska Lomnica was well set up for many outdoor pursuits.

PM me if you want me to dig up my notes and any publications I picked up.

Good luck for WRC. Jealous! :thumbsup:

cheers
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Sickman on Fri 3/Aug/12 5:32am

good question as I was going to take a small camping gas element with me. So was wondering availability of the small cylinders with a screw thread.
Sickman

Postby Richie_D on Fri 3/Aug/12 9:52am

I had an MSR with me and it was hard to find white spirits in many places. Ended up buying a screw in element and buying some cannisters as well. Don't recall it being too hard to find those, though you do have to watch the attachment
Richie_D
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby kaiteri on Fri 3/Aug/12 12:48pm

Leaving the MSR behind for that reason. Some googling threw up the campingaz 240 and 270 (which I bought in France last time) as being fairly well catered for and that 'campings' often stocked canisters.
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Tramping - Latest Posts