Surly Karate Monkey Vs Soma Juice

Postby WayneG on Thu 5/Jul/12 11:11am

Has anyone ridden both a Surly Karate Monkey and a Soma Juice? I'm interested getting one but not shore what one I should go for. On paper the Soma Juice has a longer cockpit apart from that they seem to be the same. Any import would be great.

Is there any other steel 29ers out there that can run gears or SS that I should be looking at?
Thanks for your help, Wayne
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Surly Karate Monkey Vs Soma Juice

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 5/Jul/12 11:14am

Singular Swift. :thumbsup: Depending on what size you're after, there is a tidy medium frame on the tardme for a decent price.

I have no personal experience with the two frames you're comparing though, sorry.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby danose on Thu 5/Jul/12 11:46am

WayneG wrote:Is there any other steel 29ers out there that can run gears or SS that I should be looking at?

Cotic Simple : http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/simple

or of course a roadrat if you're feeling in the mood for some cross(dressing) : http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 5/Jul/12 12:01pm

danose wrote:
WayneG wrote:Is there any other steel 29ers out there that can run gears or SS that I should be looking at?

Cotic Simple : http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/simple

Although to run gears on a Simple I'm pretty sure you'll need an Alfine (or other internal gear) hub, which necessitates the purchase of a pair of sandals and a fanny pack, and the growing of a beard.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby Slim on Thu 5/Jul/12 12:11pm

I have a Surly KM, have had it for about 10 years. I love it, but in reality it's built from the same section as lets say, a bridge. Great bike if you are looking for something as a fat tyre tourer or something similar. If I was looking at a 29er steel frame MTB now I'd be looking at a Niner, Salsa, Singular or a Cotic.

When I got mine there was no options to buy a complete bike and the only two real options for a sensibly priced production 29er frameset were on one and the KM.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby R+P+K on Thu 5/Jul/12 1:22pm

R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby herbman on Thu 5/Jul/12 2:52pm

i found the on one inbred a little on the flexy side when set up as a SS, but it was nice and forgiving on the downhills
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Eljefe on Thu 5/Jul/12 3:11pm

I read all sorts of stuff about people flexing this and that but I'm buggered if I know, maybe I am just not that powerful. My buddy has a Singular Gryphon and I have a Surly Karate Monkey, there is buggerall difference in weight, if any, the main thing being that the Singulars look very pretty, while the Surly's look like the "peoples bike" or something. Not pretty. But the Monkey is very adaptable. Mine has pretty much only ever run drop-bars, so it's 16 inch top-tube fits me well, 5'10. An 18 might be better for a flat bar. Sorry I can't say I know diddle about the Soma. I love the KM though, I rarely ride anything else these days.
Way too much info on the KM here:
http://jeffsbike.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/karate%20monkey
Eljefe
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Slim on Thu 5/Jul/12 5:01pm

He's used to alloy bikes, any steel bike will feel flexy. Generally it's refered to as "compliant"

I have my KM set up 1x9, and I ride it pretty regularly in the port hills.
Slim

Postby herbman on Thu 5/Jul/12 9:39pm

Slim wrote:He's used to alloy bikes, any steel bike will feel flexy. Generally it's refered to as "compliant"

you must be in sales ;)

but the inbred was more "compliant" that the steel stealth and hammer frames that i have owned.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby stealth mode on Fri 6/Jul/12 5:37am

Have also been checking out steel 29ers over the past week. The Cotic is currently at the top of my list, hori drops and room for a tapered fork tick tick. I emailed them about custom paint and holes for 2nd bottle cage, they said NO.

Singular and Salsa are te hotness but no tapered head and didnt want to go with EBB, I'm hoping these guys have some hot mods for 2013.

Heaps of custom frame builders out there..... Caletti, Inglis, I.F, Soulcraft from memory + 20 other websites I must have visited, some very nice stuff from NAHBS 2012 but $$$$ ching ching Cotic good $$$ also compared geometry and steels used everybody of a much ness
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Slim on Fri 6/Jul/12 6:47am

herbman wrote:
Slim wrote:He's used to alloy bikes, any steel bike will feel flexy. Generally it's refered to as "compliant"

you must be in sales ;)

but the inbred was more "compliant" that the steel stealth and hammer frames that i have owned.

:lol:

I don't doubt that, I reckon alot of it comes from the chainstays just through that they are considerably longer and still have to fit all the normal constraints.
Slim

Postby Philthy on Fri 6/Jul/12 9:05am

I think you'll find there's no difference at all between surly's 4130 steel and the 520 that Singular use, so the weight will be about the same. Don't know what Soma use but On One's DN6 tubing is 4130. Niner and Cotic use 853 which is very nice but much more $$.
If you want a sweet deal, how about a GT Peace 9r, complete bike with Stan's Flow rims and Magura Carbon Louise brakes, for $800?
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby yak71 on Fri 6/Jul/12 11:20am

I like my(wifes) surly, not too keen on the horizontal dropouts though. Surprisingly fun to ride - was fairly awful with 100mm forks though, much better with 80mm or rigid.
I liked my old peace 9r - 520 steel - but could only run SS or internal gears.
The singular on tardme posted above would be very nice. As would the Peace - if it can run gears.
It all depends on your budget.
What about one of these?? El Mariachi complete http://velo-ideale.com/product.php?pid=119
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby danose on Fri 6/Jul/12 11:36am

yak71 wrote:I like my(wifes) surly, not too keen on the horizontal dropouts though.

I'll take horiz drops over eccentrics any day!!! Sure proper track ends are a bit of a pain when it comes to a flat tyre, but my experiences with eccentrics is they always creep/creak

best though are the old school forward dropouts on suse's casseroll - lovely to look at (in a retro kind of way), and dead easy when it comes to getting the rear wheel out

IMG_0919.jpg
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Singlespeed - Latest Posts