A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby RHR_Rob on Sat 16/Jun/12 4:49pm

We may be moving to Hutt Vally area (EQ chasing) not having much idea on proximity to tracks where is the best place to house hunt?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: A Possible Move To Wellington

Postby Jono on Sat 16/Jun/12 5:41pm

There are tracks on both sides of the valley. Wainui trail park is pretty accessible from the eastern side/Petone, and belmont regional park on the western side. There are ridgelines along the eastern hills that are rideable as well, but not so much fun. From anywhere in the hutt valley shouldn't be more than about 30 or 40 minutes of (road) riding to get offroad - usually a bit less. There will be a bunch of climbing involved to get offroad though - all the good stuff (apart from korokoro stream) is up the hills a bit.

Karapoti is reasonably accessible from upper hutt via totora park.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 16/Jun/12 7:26pm

Best value for money areas, are Wainuiomata, and Upper Hutt, for a 3-4 Bedroom House with a back yard.

Best approach, is to have a good look around once you get here.

Loads of places to ride around Wellington.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Farm on Sat 16/Jun/12 7:55pm

You can't go too far wrong, there's good biking all over the Hutt Valley and in Wellington City. If you don't mind loading the bike on the car (or long road rides) you could ride a different track every day for weeks.
Wainuiomata Trail Park is good and getting better. Nice rides up above Eastbourne/Lowry Bay too.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Caffeine on Sat 16/Jun/12 7:57pm

I live in Alicetown (by Petone) and always ride to the tracks. It's half way between Belmont and Wainui (about 25min ride to either up a decent hill). Most of the single track at Belmont is going to be logged later in the year I think, but there will still be some good riding left. Generally better riding in the Wainui hills. The main single track areas are at the southern end of the valley on either side.

It is about a 35min road ride into town for Mt Vic and tons of other tracks, 45-50 min to Makara or 1.5hrs to Makara via Skyline track which is a pretty sweet lap.
Caffeine
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 16/Jun/12 9:31pm

Caffeine wrote:I live in Alicetown (by Petone) and always ride to the tracks. It's half way between Belmont and Wainui (about 25min ride to either up a decent hill). Most of the single track at Belmont is going to be logged later in the year I think, but there will still be some good riding left. Generally better riding in the Wainui hills. The main single track areas are at the southern end of the valley on either side.

It is about a 35min road ride into town for Mt Vic and tons of other tracks, 45-50 min to Makara or 1.5hrs to Makara via Skyline track which is a pretty sweet lap.

Logging in Belmont (Danzig Forest) will commence in August.

Meanwhile, Bull Run now exits out onto Hill Road Belmont. The track is soggy, new, and unfinished. Not recommended to ride yet.
However, its similar to Beeline and Snail Trail, all rolled into one long Singletrack.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby tylersdad on Sun 17/Jun/12 8:01pm

Personally i would buy a house based on the neighbourhood rather than proximity to MTB tracks.
Also think about where you are going to work, and travel requirements (car/bike/public transport).

what is yr house budget? what size house? section? also consider things such as climate.

wainui for example has high temps in summer, but also the lowest temps in winter. on the back of this though you will be right next to the wainui mtb park, can get cheaper housing with a proper back yard, (and be able to help feed the neighbours rotweiller when the go on holiday). on the counter to that though the bike commute to work will be a killer getting over that hill every day.
karori on the other hand you can get basically all of the above, (maybe not a rotty next door though) but still be next to a mtb park, proper backyard etc, can commute to the cbd by bike easily, BUT will pay a shite more for the house.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 17/Jun/12 8:30pm

Will most probably rent for a year, so proximity is likely to be close to school only realy plan on been in town long enough to set a business up and put a manager in place.
After Chch wife is expecting welly to be flattened by an EQ in the next year, so on a hill is not looking promising as it will come crashing down like Redcliffs area in chch and on the flat we will get killed by the sunami!!!!! so where we will live is anybody guess....
just so long as i can go mtb ing i dont care where we live.

BUT i will be looking out for a lock up yard of 500/800sq/m so idealy somewhere close to house and school or even a house with a massive 500 sq.m garden will do.
RHR_Rob

Postby tylersdad on Sun 17/Jun/12 8:33pm

karori FTW
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 17/Jun/12 8:34pm

tylersdad wrote:karori FTW

FTW ??
RHR_Rob

Postby happybaboon on Sun 17/Jun/12 8:46pm

Don't ignore Porirua... Cheap housing, and large parts of it are rather nice. Same goes for a few of the northern suburbs of Wgtn too... J'Ville, Tawa etc. Bit out of the way of the trails, but not THAT far really. Wherever you are, you're looking at a 20 min drive maximum to get to SOMETHING. Most places lots less than that.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 17/Jun/12 9:02pm

Welcome to another Chch quake refugee :)

Obviously depends on budget and what's around but my pick for best suburb for riding would be Karori (or the ajoining suburbs like Ngaio/Northland). In addition to lots of good riding not a bad commute to the city plus all the amenities you need.

Other suburbs that I'd consider would be Roseneath, Mt Vic and Haitaitai.

Finding a decent rentals in Wellington is tough no matter what your budget is though. There lots crappy damp houses around.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 17/Jun/12 9:51pm

RHR_Rob wrote:
tylersdad wrote:karori FTW

FTW ??

tylersdad is using the popular hardout phrase "FUCK THA WORLD", affirming his status as a real gangsta.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 18/Jun/12 10:47am

Wife is eying up Titahi bay area where would my 'local' tracks be from there??
and whats the rd riding like round there? is it cetain death
RHR_Rob

Postby cruiser on Mon 18/Jun/12 11:15am

Local tracks are - Colonial knob which has a few tracks but more being built, should be top notch in a few years, there are access points to makara along skyline or ohariu valley road, battlehill (north of porirua) and belmont (hutt valley) for longer rides.

Some smaller loops around Whitby, Whitirea park, Tawa etc. And there are some tech little loops behind Elsdon that the moto guys have carved out - one short descent has a few rolled cars for effect then exits via a stream onto a street - area is very raw, has potential.

Road riding is fine. with it being a destination doesn't get through traffic. Less cars parked on roadsides and more space in shoulders than some areas. It's 20-30min drive to most places otherwise.

As far as physical location goes hard to beat: Sunny, one surf beach, one picnic beach, hills, harbour. There is a rough side to the bay and a semi-decent side. Realistically your experience will depend on the street - what streets is she looking at?
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Tramping - Latest Posts