Commuting From Newlands

Postby dyl on Sat 16/Jun/12 10:01am

Hi,

Im going to start riding from Newlands soon, and have a few newbie questions...Sorry if these have been covered or come across as simple!

1. Going along Old Hutt road, do people ride on the road or footpath? Reckon if your going to get hit thats the most likely place..
2. Does anyone use Wakelys track to go up? Thought that might be a nicer option than grinding up the gorge
3. I ride a Giant XTC3 - do you reckon it would be worth putting road tyres on it?

Reckon the first months savings on public transport will be a nice bottle of scotch..

Cheers!
Dyl
dyl
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Commuting From Newlands

Postby nostromo on Sat 16/Jun/12 10:19am

dyl wrote:Hi,

Im going to start riding from Newlands soon, and have a few newbie questions...Sorry if these have been covered or come across as simple!

1. Going along Old Hutt road, do people ride on the road or footpath? Reckon if your going to get hit thats the most likely place..
2. Does anyone use Wakelys track to go up? Thought that might be a nicer option than grinding up the gorge
3. I ride a Giant XTC3 - do you reckon it would be worth putting road tyres on it?

Reckon the first months savings on public transport will be a nice bottle of scotch..

Cheers!
Dyl

1. I personally ride along the footpath and like it. You just need to cruise along rather than hammer it at speed and be watchful at a few spots where there's driveways and you'll be fine. I have seen someone come a cropper on the road on a bike along old Hutt Rd.
2. Have ridden up Wakeleys a few times, if I was in Newlands (I'm in C park) that would be a good way to go I reckon. It is steeper, but has less fumes.
3. Good option. Definately get something puncture protected, its amazing how much glass gets in tires, Cheng Shin flat fighters are cheap and resist punctures well (heavy but doesn't matter to me).
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Sat 16/Jun/12 10:32am

With regard to Q1, there's no "best" option IMO, that's up to you.

I commute in the opposite direction, and often see people having a bit of strife when using the cycle lane - along between the Beaurepaires and Airflowe Panel and Paint there are often cars mounting the footpath to park up for the day - this often seems to include reversing along the path, when both cyclists and walkers are using it. If you're commuting before 8ish you shouldn't have to worry too much about the driveways along Old Hutt Rd - they're the main issue (especially Placemakers/Carters and Spotlight).

Personally, I won't use the cycle path - the road has a good shoulder, and is wide and straight enough for vehicles to pass safely in most circumstances. In the past two years of commuting and recreational riding I've had I think 3 vehicles (all Newlands Coach Service buses...) toot at me or cut my lunch (always travelling Southbound) while riding along Old Hutt Road.

The merit of using the cycle path is that it gives you a little more separation from the larger vehicles.

For me, the risk of a wobbly walker or an errant cyclist causing a collision, combined with the aforementioned driveways, is enough to put me off though - which is a shame. Bear in mind this is an issue for me as I travel against the peak traffic flow (Karori -> Petone in the a.m, Petone -> Karori in the p.m).

I'd take any opportunity to NOT ride up Ngauranga Gorge - not because of the gradient etc, but because of the traffic and fumes. Either Ngaio Gorge + backroads (or more sensibly for you) the old bridle track up to Newlands would be preferable options.

As far as the tyre thing, road tyres might cause you a little grief up said bridle track in the wet - perhaps just use what you've got until they wear out, then find something super cheap to replace them with - for commuting the quality of tyre isn't so much of an issue IMO, I normally just run cheap wire bead shitters cos they're <$20 each.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby bugle on Sat 16/Jun/12 11:30am

Down Wakely!
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sat 16/Jun/12 9:43pm

My opinion...

I ride on the footpath, but it's a bit of a death trap to be honest. Difficult to say which is safer. The two times I've ridden on the road I've been hooted at for not riding on the footpath.

I would ride up 95% of the time, and down 100% of the time. Now they've put big chunky metal down, which is a total pain in the arse, so I use the road/cycle-land both ways all the time now.

If you ride Wakelys, then no. I ride Mt Vic at lunchtimes so I don't use commuting tyres. If I didn't ride off-road at lunchtime I'd definitely use slicks.
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Sat 16/Jun/12 10:16pm

I prefer the cycle way / foot path on the Hutt Road.

Yeah I get to suffer people pulling out (Spotlight is the worst. Biddies too focused on getting home to their crochet to be thinking about their driving), but I can be alert for that and have more control over the outcome than things going bad if I were on the road. And it pisses motorist off less (but everyone has to decide how important that is for themselves).

There was a time I used to run slicks, but I would miss opportunities to ride because I had the 'wrong' tyres on or couldn't be bothered changing them. And while they make the commute easier / faster, my commute isn't a race and harder just makes me stronger; right?

Now I run my tyres from new on my trail bike and flick them to the hardttail when part worn. Trail bike always has the best grip. Hardtail always has tyres I can offroad on the commute home or in the week-ends.

Wakley is bit out of the way for me. If I am looking at extending my commute with a bit of dirt I'd normally do Transient.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby dyl on Sun 17/Jun/12 11:55am

awesome guys thanks.

will definitely keep the off road tyres on for now and see how that works out. Im no speed demon so yeah would rather sacrifice speed for off road opportunites.

and will give both routes a whirl but wakelys appeals more, rather be off by myself in relative peace and quiet than breathing in fumes.

and to old hutt road will give foot path a crack! dont want to p!ss off too many other commuters on 4 or 2 wheels!

If you see someone pretending to be talking on his cellphone cos hes run out of puff....say hi!
dyl

Postby mark2c on Sun 17/Jun/12 1:36pm

My preference is the cycle track/footpath. However it is worse for debris and people pulling out & I can fully understand why many would want to use the road.

There is huge a new childcare centre being built that will almost certainly be a nightmare - to the point where the crochet Biddies will look like they are on our side...
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 17/Jun/12 9:06pm

I wouldn't touch the bike path on old Hutt road, the roads much safer imho.

I come down the gorge from Khandallah and take the road rather than the foot path. I just ride in the middle of the lane and even in peak traffic never feel threatened.
Last edited by Nick_K on Sun 17/Jun/12 9:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby tylersdad on Sun 17/Jun/12 9:12pm

if you ride down the gorge dual footpath/cyclepath in the wet (instead of wakely) watch out for the silver metal telecom hole covers as they can be quite slippery.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby dyl on Mon 18/Jun/12 7:57am

so the peeps that are saying on the footpath are you riding the footpath heading north and south?
dyl

Postby Colin on Mon 18/Jun/12 8:29am

Yep
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Tramping - Latest Posts