New To Bmx - Good Bike For Tall 4yo

Postby R&Q on Fri 15/Jun/12 2:00pm

HI Guys,

My family is new to bmx and we are looking at getting our son a bike. I was just wondering if a GT Power Series Mini is a good bike for a tall 4 yr old (like off the chart). Also is there much of a size difference between between a mini and a jr?

Need some help with helmets to, wanting a good full face helmet but no idea what to get or what the difference is, ie can we just get a motocross helmet?

Thanks for your help
R&Q
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Re: New To Bmx - Good Bike For Tall 4yo

Postby dented on Fri 15/Jun/12 3:57pm

Good questions. I will do my best as I have several young kids very involved in BMX racing to a National level.

Sizewise, I can tell you that it is a very common mistake for parents to get a bike that is too big for their child, perhaps thinking that if they could just ride it ok now, it will last much longer before he/she grows out of it. Sure, they might be able to just touch the ground with their feet, and get going on it, but it is my opinion to keep them on a bike until it looks way too small for them. Having said that, I dont think the 18" wheel bikes (micro, cor most manufacturers) are good, you need to get them on a 20" wheel bike asap. They hold momentum much better, which is critical if you intend to do any racing.

The GT power series mini would be the perfect size for a tall 4yo. (As 'minis' go, the GT is shortish in the top tube compared to some manufacturers, eg Redline and ABD mini frames are longer in the tt)

Is there much of a size difference between a mini and a junior? It might not look like much, I think the top tube is about 30-35mm longer for most manufacturers, but it would be a mistake to buy a junior for a 4yo. A 9yo boy from Waitakere went to the World Champs in England at the end of May, and he won his age group. He rides a Junior. Similarly an 8yo boy from Rotorua went to the same event, and came 2nd overall in his age group. He rides a mini.

Helmets, comes down to what you can afford for the most part. Generally motorcross helmets are much heavier. Think about that and their little neck. The other disadvantage with Motorcross helmets is they use a double D type catch to attach the chin strap, this can be a real hassle because a 4 yo (or even most 7yo) cant do up or undo these on their own. Bicycle type fullface helmets are lighter, have air vents built in, and generally have a clip to attach the chin strap (the exception being 661 brand). They can get stupidly expensive though and it pays to shop around.

Hope that helps a bit
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby R&Q on Sat 16/Jun/12 7:11pm

Hey thanks for replying. We took him out looking at bikes today and he def needs a mini, a micro is to small and the jr was huge. Was just wondering what to look for in riding gear, can he just use motocross stuff or is there a difference. We were looking at getting him some fox 180 stuff. We also looked at abd helmets and fly helmets, do you know which is better or if there is something else good we should look at.

Sorry for all the questions but there is so much to learn :)
R&Q

Postby dented on Sat 16/Jun/12 7:49pm

We just use motorcross gear. Fox 180 is good. www.sportspro.co.nz is great for online ordering. The smallest sizes for pants is 6 (or 22 inch), might be slightly too long in the leg for him now but he will be ok in that for now, and will last him a while. Smallest shirts are YS (youth small), again might be slightly too big for now. My only bits of advice are around the pants, they have a leather piece sewn into the inside of the lower leg (makes them last longer because thats where they rub), dont get pants with white there, the Right leg gets chain oil on it and they just look grubby after a while. Also some pants come with stretchy elastic at the bottom of the pant leg, I dont like them much and prefer just the open leg opening.

ABD and FLY helmets are both fine, most important part there is to get the one with the coolest graphics.

Whats your local track?
dented

Postby R&Q on Sat 16/Jun/12 8:11pm

Thanks for the info on sizing was just looking at tops and wondering what sz to get. Our local track is Sunset Coast in Puni, We are in Puke
R&Q

Postby R&Q on Sat 16/Jun/12 8:12pm

what proctective gear do the kids need besides a helmet and gloves?
R&Q

Postby dented on Sat 16/Jun/12 8:18pm

Elbow pads.

Also good is the body armour....
http://www.sportspro.co.nz/products/129 ... ector.aspx

but not essential. However I got my boy one of these after he had a big off, and it was great for his confidence. He took another big crash at Easter, and the whole front of it got massively scraped, but at the time he jumped straight up and straight back on his bike to finish the race. Helmet also took a good dig at the same time. He was hugely bummed about the crash, but not hurt in any way. Paid for itself right there I reckon.
dented

Postby dented on Sat 16/Jun/12 8:19pm

These are great...
http://www.sportspro.co.nz/products/129 ... uards.aspx

*I dont work for Fox or sportspro, but I do like their gear :)
dented

Postby R&Q on Sat 16/Jun/12 8:23pm

how old are your lot, does fox make a good helmet or are they all to heavy
R&Q

Postby dented on Sat 16/Jun/12 8:27pm

Also...correction about what I wrote earlier about 6/22 being the smallest size pants, this is more like it...
http://www.sportspro.co.nz/products/104 ... pants.aspx

I have a 5yo and a 4yo racing, and a 3yo not far away. I bought a girls Fox helmet (2nd hand) a while back, but havent used it, just too heavy for my liking. We are using a 661, and a Bell at them moment, both nice and light.

Maybe the high-end Fox helmets are much lighter? I think FLY is an offshoot of Fox anyway.
dented

Postby R&Q on Sat 16/Jun/12 9:08pm

So what are they riding, we looked at a haro mini today nice looking bike but $600 so we are keeping an eye out for a second hand mini
R&Q

Postby dented on Sat 16/Jun/12 9:13pm

Ugh, dont ask. I have spent way too much money on bikes.
dented

Postby dented on Sat 16/Jun/12 9:17pm

Started my boy on a GT micro, which is the same size as the 2012 GT mini. They are a great little bike to get started on.

Bruno from Cyclexpress Panmure had a couple of 2012 GT race bikes in kids sizes (not exactly sure what sizes) showing on his facebook page the other day at $380 brand new. Also Victor from Hedgehog bikes Tauranga had a brand new 2012 GT mini on his wall the last time I went in there for $400 on special.
dented

Postby R&Q on Tue 19/Jun/12 4:39pm

We got a bike, its a mini redline should be good for a starter bike hopefully

R&Q

Postby dented on Tue 19/Jun/12 6:28pm

Great start. The redline mini is a bit bigger than the GT mini. You might need to look at the gearing. Basically from a standing start on the flat, he should be able to get the cranks fully spun out in 20-25 metres.
dented

BMX Riding | Cycling - Latest Posts