Wcc Gravelling Barking Emu- Best Keep Away

Postby thelongwalk on Thu 14/Jun/12 5:27pm

WCC are gravelling the lower stretches of Barking Emu. They use a mixture which bonds like cement when wet- which it is at the moment and its not been compacted in places so it would be an arse to get off your bike. Plus it messes up their work. Use the pine tree entrance if you're familiar with it.

Also if you're night riding the ruts caused by the power barrow could be interesting on some corners at speed.
thelongwalk
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Wcc Gravelling Barking Emu- Best Keep Away

Postby VERT on Thu 14/Jun/12 5:51pm

How about running? Was planning a run up there on Saturday morning
VERT
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby thelongwalk on Thu 14/Jun/12 8:40pm

VERT wrote:How about running? Was planning a run up there on Saturday morning

Up to you really. I only posted the above as I help maintain those tracks so pretty interested in gravelling having the best chance of being successful = not riding on it when its settling/not been compacted etc. They should compact it by saturday. Not sure above running but wheels carry mud a long way. If it doesn't rain much it could be ok. Its only the first 400 metres or so of the track- to miss it just follow the road south from where carparts ext finishes and look for a faint trail to the left at the pine trees.
thelongwalk

Postby gristle on Thu 14/Jun/12 10:47pm

There is also a nice big pile of gravel next to the pine tree entrance, to help you find it! Just south of the private gate.
gristle
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby VERT on Fri 15/Jun/12 8:09am

Ok cool thanks. I think ill avoid it just in case
VERT
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 15/Jun/12 5:17pm

Just been for a ride around the hills including barking emu, which is in perfect condition (for me). Was astounded to see the new meaning of "gravelling". Looks like tarsealing. Easy to walk around the side of, though was very firm to the touch.
15062012661.jpg
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby gristle on Fri 15/Jun/12 11:50pm

I don't think that mix is anything new, Highbury Fling was done in something similar.
It'll look less road like after a bit of wear and tear/leaves/muck.
gristle

Postby gristle on Sun 17/Jun/12 12:35pm

If you are thinking of riding up/down BE today, really recommend you drop in or out at the pine trees north of the work. I forgot when I came down today... stupid. Really muddy from the powerbarrow.

Tip track is riding tip top though, as is the upper (majority) of BE considering the rain.
gristle

Postby gristle on Wed 18/Jul/12 3:35pm

We are doing a bit of work on the track south of the blouse entrance (pink radio building) so keep your eyes peeled for soft areas. The track has been hammered; mixture of rain and what appears to be a half bench.
gristle

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 21/Jul/12 8:23pm

Carparts and everything below it in fantastic shape today.

Good stuff lads. :thumbsup:
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 21/Jul/12 9:13pm

Yeah rode up there today, Transient great. Carparts Ext is riding well as its dry but has beaten me so far as some places a long way from rock. We fixed up a few of the big puddles on Barking Emu- a couple to go and 2-3 dodgy areas to get armoured. Hopefully get soem time tomorrow. Top of carparts still a bit shite.
thelongwalk

Conditions | Public Notices | Trail Conditions - Latest Posts