Converting Front Chainring From 3x To 1x

Postby jimzenglish on Mon 4/Jun/12 5:27pm

I've got a 2010 Trance 2 and the drivetrain is getting pretty well knackered. It's a 3 x 9 setup and I was thinking of converting this to a 1 x 10 setup.
Just wondering if anyone's done this before on a similar type bike and how they found it?? Also how much it cost etc?

Cheers!

James
jimzenglish
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Converting Front Chainring From 3x To 1x

Postby musta on Mon 4/Jun/12 6:50pm

Could just go 1 x 9 if you are on a budget
No need for new shifters and rear deraileur.
musta
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby herbman on Mon 4/Jun/12 7:29pm

did it on my hard tail a few months ago. not ot sure if it was cheaper than a just replacing chain cluster and rings.

where as you will need some way of holding the chain on at the front, a new shifter and dir (you may get away with just a shifter if you have a sram 9 speed rear mech and get a shimano 10 speed shifter as this combo plays nice together) a chain, cluster nd front ring.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby danpsmith on Mon 4/Jun/12 9:06pm

As others have said if your rear mech and shifter are both good then go for 1x9.

At the front you'll need a chain guide of some description. Depending on you riding you may get away with one of the lighter weight xc style ones such as the MRP 1x or if you like it a little rougher go for a full top and bottom stylee guide. I got one of the Superstar ones, mucho cheapness and not dropped a chain yet.

Worth getting a proper chainring at the front as well. The ones designed for use with a front mech are designed in such a way that the chain will come off easily so you can shift gears so you're much more likely to drop your chain if you use one of them.

You may also need to grind off the granny tabs on you cranks depending on the chain guide you go for and the cranks you have.

To see if you like 1x9 you could take your granny and big rings off. Ditch the front shifter and use the front mech as a chainguide of sorts with just the middle ring in place. If you get on with it like that then get the bits you need to do a proper conversion.
danpsmith
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby RugbySucks on Mon 4/Jun/12 9:36pm

danpsmith wrote:As others have said if your rear mech and shifter are both good then go for 1x9.

At the front you'll need a chain guide of some description. Depending on you riding you may get away with one of the lighter weight xc style ones such as the MRP 1x or if you like it a little rougher go for a full top and bottom stylee guide. I got one of the Superstar ones, mucho cheapness and not dropped a chain yet.

Worth getting a proper chainring at the front as well. The ones designed for use with a front mech are designed in such a way that the chain will come off easily so you can shift gears so you're much more likely to drop your chain if you use one of them.

You may also need to grind off the granny tabs on you cranks depending on the chain guide you go for and the cranks you have.

To see if you like 1x9 you could take your granny and big rings off. Ditch the front shifter and use the front mech as a chainguide of sorts with just the middle ring in place. If you get on with it like that then get the bits you need to do a proper conversion.

The last paragraph, about setting up for a taste of 1x9, without wasting dollars, is spot on.

Went down that track, looking at 1x9, and decided to go 2x9 (26-38) at the end of the day, and ground the teeth off my knackered, big chain ring, to use as a light weight alloy bash-guard. looked bling too.

:D
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby jimzenglish on Tue 5/Mar/13 9:55pm

Cheers thanks yea not really seeing it as a chance to save money more like the cleaner system of a 1 x 10. Just wondering how people have gone with the 10 gear choice when they've previously had 20 or 27. Also wondering what chainring size at front is most popular when only having a single option?
Yea other option could be to go 2 x 9 just like the idea of getting rid of front derailleur but wondering how big a trade off it is.
jimzenglish

Postby Kakapo on Tue 5/Mar/13 10:15pm

I've a monster cross / tourer which I commute on. I run 36 x 11-34. This gives me a good top end for the road (I run out of leg speed at about 50kph), while letting me climb most of the single track I encounter that's suitable (smooth enough) for this kind of rig.

Transient is a comfortable climb for it (if you know Wellington). If your into off-road hills and not so concerned about top-end speed, a 34 at the front might be the go. I'd have put an 11-36 on the rear, but due to lever choice had to use a 9-speed derailleur which can't take a 36.

Hope this helps.
Kakapo
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Philthy on Thu 7/Mar/13 7:36am

I found 1x9 was great on my HT but on the fully I appreciate having the granny ring occasionally as it doesn't climb as well. Otherwise 1x9 is choice, I use a N-Gear jumpstop and a bashring to keep the chain on the front - light, cheap and easy, worked a treat.
Don't think of a 3xp as having 27 gears, it's more like about 14 distinct ratios IIRC
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby The Shark on Thu 7/Mar/13 8:56am

I've gone from having a 2x9 setup on an all mountain bike into downhill/freeride bikes. I have a burly Specialized big hit with a 1x10 setup and considering its roots as an entry level DH bike, I can say that 10 gears is enough for me to get the tank up Makara Peak, or Mt. Vic if no one wants to give me a ride to the top :huh:

I guess what I'm saying is if its good enough for my tank, you should be fine throwing it on a Trance.

Those 1x11 sram setups seem to be reviewing well, no chainguide needed, though I've heard these are really expensive.
The Shark
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby jimzenglish on Sat 9/Mar/13 2:39pm

Cheers yea Kakapo I think I'd go 34 on the front and would want 10 on the back so could get that 36 on the rear, would make a big difference.
It means getting a new rear shifter and derailleur but my current derailleur's knackered anyway so only cost of new shifter and some chainguide system up front.
I'm stumped on what to go with up front so any suggestions appreciated, thanks Philthy I'll check out that N-Gear Jumpstop.

I'm guessing I may have to walk up some of the really steep stuff we have in Nelson but I do alot of that already :)
jimzenglish

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 9/Mar/13 2:48pm

I have used a front derailleur i customised, and improved the chain line a touch, to keep my chain, on with 1x9 setup.

Same setup would work just as easily with 1x10.

Would pay to use a single speed front ring, without shift ramps though.

Cheers
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Mildie on Sat 9/Mar/13 6:21pm

http://spokemagazine.com/2013/03/07/mildie-gets-all-dukes-of-hazard/
Check it out Jim - give me a call and you can come over and suss it out, see if its a solution for you.
Mildie
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby charliehopkins on Sat 20/Apr/13 11:58am

Mildie wrote:http://spokemagazine.com/2013/03/07/mildie-gets-all-dukes-of-hazard/
Check it out Jim - give me a call and you can come over and suss it out, see if its a solution for you.

Hey I dunno how this would work so maybe someone could help?

How does he get the X9 rear mech to work on a 36t rear cluster? and also doesn't the chain on Sram XX1 have the unique cross headed link every 4th link to grip onto the chain ring without a guide? If so, how does this chain (xx1 chain with the cross head) work on a standard cassette or X9 mech for that matter?
charliehopkins
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby VERT on Sat 20/Apr/13 12:44pm

The above setup with the xx1 cranks work, i have done this myself. You just have to make sure the rear deraileur is a type 2, but I have also heard reports a stand rear deraileur works too. You can run a standard 10 speed chain with the xx1 cranks. Have a look on MTBreview.com I started a thread on there some time ago on there. There is heaps of information about it there.
VERT
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby SamKnight on Sat 20/Apr/13 5:56pm

I went with a 32T E13 ring and XCX up front with a type 2 and 11-32 (with X0 shifter) on the back and have found it pretty mint, can climb up pretty much all but the steepest stuff, got my full setup for under $200 from CRC
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts