Hot Cx: Wellington Cyclocross Series 2012

Postby AJK on Fri 11/May/12 1:57pm

HOT CX: Wellington Cyclocross 2012

In need of something more in your life? Is it more cycling? Come along and try out some cyclocross - the sport of champions, road cyclists, mountain bikers, and anyone who's keen to give something a go. Races involve completing as many laps of a circuit in the time set on a course of varied surfaces. You'll ride, you'll dismount, you'll get a bit dirty. But mainly, it's good for a laugh.

We'll be running a series of four events. Each will feature 2 race grades, and a free kid's event in between. B grade will start at 10:15 am with a 30 min race; A grade will be at 11:15 am with a 50 min race. The kids race will be at approximately 11:00. Prizes will be awarded for overall series winners. The event dates/venues are:

* May 27: Karori Park;
* June 10: Karori Park (Round 1 of the NZ National CX series);
* June 24: Tawatawa Reserve, Owhiro Bay;
* July 8: Te Ahumairangi Reserve/Tinakori Hill.

The events can be done on any bike (although narrow tyres and drop bars are encouraged!) and use very basic courses (a mix of grass/seal/easy singletrack). Entry fee is $15.

For more information, check out http://www.wgtncx.org or get in touch with either Andy King at kingandr3[at]myvuw.ac.nz or Owen Hughes at owen.hughes[at]vuw.ac.nz

Also, check out the facebook event details.
AJK
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Hot Cx: Wellington Cyclocross Series 2012

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Fri 11/May/12 3:45pm

Great - i was just talking about this with the venereal venerable Slackboy on my way home from a muddy road ride. :thumbsup:

I only hope nobody tries to actually "be" Belgian on account of their participation in a 'cross event - yes, yes, I know you can speak broken Flemish. OK, yup, the chips you got from the shop along the road are "frites", sure. Oh, gosh, you brought along some mayo for your "frites", how authentic. :rolleyes:
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby David7 on Fri 11/May/12 5:21pm

Seems like as good a thread as any...

Sounds like a great series, but;

Should I do this on my DMR trailstar with disc's and Rockshox? or...

Should I convert my road bike by sticking on some wider/chunkier tires and risk the braking performance of my Campag Mirage?

I guess its a classic question for a newbie to CX, but it's one of those 2 rather than sinking $1500-$200 into another bike that wont get used that often.

Thoughts?

yes I've searched Google and found some interesting thoughts/ideas/recommendations, i guess I'm after some more local knowledge of the specifics of the courses for this series and the Bike Hutt one...prefer to ride the converted Roadie for a variety of reasons...tradition...feel..weight...and to be more Belgian!

David
David7
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby ringo on Fri 11/May/12 8:34pm

Yeah, I am thinking about the 'ol roadie conversion too. Was thinking of getting a fork that could take cantis but if regular roadie brakes work sort of ok and you can get enough clearance with bigger tyres then that would be cheaper!

What size cx tyre could you run on a road brake/fork setup without rubbing on the caliper or grinding to a halt with mud?
ringo
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 11/May/12 9:23pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Great - i was just talking about this with the venereal venerable Slackboy on my way home from a muddy road ride. :thumbsup:

I only hope nobody tries to actually "be" Belgian on account of their participation in a 'cross event - yes, yes, I know you can speak broken Flemish. OK, yup, the chips you got from the shop along the road are "frites", sure. Oh, gosh, you brought along some mayo for your "frites", how authentic. :rolleyes:
Sock guy belgian socks, you know you want them!!!!
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Fri 11/May/12 10:05pm

ringo wrote:Yeah, I am thinking about the 'ol roadie conversion too. Was thinking of getting a fork that could take cantis but if regular roadie brakes work sort of ok and you can get enough clearance with bigger tyres then that would be cheaper!

What size cx tyre could you run on a road brake/fork setup without rubbing on the caliper or grinding to a halt with mud?

Kinda depends on what you've got - I have a crappy steel frame/fork, and fit a 35c (Maxxis Raze) in the front, and a 30c (Schwalbe something) with regular road brakes. There's not much clearance at either end, but clearance is for pussies.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby AJK on Fri 11/May/12 10:42pm

It can be done on any bike you've got. If you can get close to a CX setup, that's excellent - but I do hope to see some people on full on DH rigs attempting to smash some laps.

From personal experience of bodging a dodgy old bike, road brake calipers don't work fantastically well (nor, for that matter, do wheels) when they're full of soaking wet grass. Tyre clearance on the frame is nice, but slicks will provide at least some traction if nothing else works.
AJK

Postby sifter on Fri 11/May/12 11:18pm

I really enjoyed a CX race last year on my rigid 29er singlespeed. I put some 700 x 35C tyres on it to make me feel a little more appropriate... It was fun!
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby AJK on Wed 23/May/12 10:36am

Bump. This Sunday! Weather forecast is excellent at present - who knows, we might have to bog up some of the track ourselves.

A little more information on how the race is going to work on the website, plus the rules which shall govern thee whilst partaking.
AJK

Postby jo on Wed 23/May/12 10:45am

Love the riding etiquette section. :)

Do youse need help on the day? Unfortunately I've just missed raiding the streets recycling - some big coke bottles and some gravel make great shakers. I shall dig out my cow bell for some heckling.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Owen on Wed 23/May/12 11:38am

Hey Jo, if you aren't racing we do need a few people around the course just to let other park users know about the event. If you're up for it just pop down on the morning :) Cheers!
Owen
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby AJK on Sat 26/May/12 6:15pm

First round tomorrow morning!

Registration from 9:30am, B-grade/30min race at 10:15, free kids race at 11, A-grade/50min race at 11:15.

We'll be going ahead whether the weather is 'bitterly cold', 'miserably damp', or just 'cyclocross traditional'. Bring a thermos and a willingness to make some noise (and even some noisemaking instruments!)
AJK

Postby Farm on Mon 28/May/12 10:08pm

This was a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next one.
Hopefully less wind, more rain. :)
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby AJK on Sat 9/Jun/12 5:23pm

Right, Round 2 tomorrow - and the first Round of the National Series! If you want to qualify for Nationals points, you'll need to have drop bars and tread no wider than 35mm.

We've significantly altered the route since the last round to one which should make for both good racing and good watching! If you're shy of something to do on your Sunday morning, come and offer some vocal encouragement to those racing.

The schedule at the moment is:
9.30 - 11.15: Registration open;
10.10: 30 min race briefing;
10.15: 30 min race start;
11.00: Free kids race;
11.20: 50 min race briefing;
11:30: 50 min race start.
AJK

Postby AJK on Mon 11/Jun/12 10:12am

An excellent few hours of racing yesterday at Karori Park. The weather was fine, the course was brutal, and the drums pink. Congratulations go to Dan Warren and Kim Hamer-Hurst for taking out the 50 minute race and claiming the early points lead in the National Series.

Many thanks to all those that came along whether to race or just make for a great atmosphere! Particular thanks must go to all our volunteers who assisted with registration, timing and marshalling.

EDIT: Results now up!

Here's a few photos to browse. If you want to share any photos you took, please get in touch with us at wgtncx[at]gmail.com - also, remember to put some entries in for our photo competition.

The next Wellington CX race is in two weeks at Tawatawa Reserve, Owhiro Bay. Round 2 of the NZ National Series is being held in Queenstown on July 1.
AJK

Cycling | Cyclocross | Events | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts