What Do You Think Characterizes Riding In Nz?

Postby wuffy on Thu 10/May/12 10:27am

Drafting a project for with a few other people around the world on a short film project, and each has to come up with a theme/idea that represents/characterizes the area they live in.

Thought I might as well gather other people's input. What do you think makes riding in NZ (chch/SI specifically) compared to other places round the world?

Any input welcome.

:thumbsup:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: What Do You Think Characterizes Riding In Nz?

Postby danose on Thu 10/May/12 11:16am

wuffy wrote:Thought I might as well gather other people's input. What do you think makes riding in NZ (chch/SI specifically) compared to other places round the world?

guess it'd have to be our mountain/backcountry riding - craigieburn, warfdale, scotts saddle etc (scotts Saddle in particular should be great to film - great scenery and super gnarly riding)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 10/May/12 11:18am

What he said...

Cabbage trees and flaxes.

benched native bush singletrack. unique to nz forests, beautiful countryside...

Then there's all the 'alpiney' stuff, Qtown etc i suppose, with those vistas of NZy LOTR landscapes.

Then there's the kind of landscapes you see on Banks and Otago Peninsulas, various other parts, with little pockets of bush and shelterbelts. I remember a scene from Angel At My Table, which i saw at the time while living in the US, where the little ginger kid is walking along a country road with insanely green hillsides behind her and cabbage trees and macracarpas and it just sent goosebumps down my spine a longing for 'home' and NZ...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby sam_hills_the_man on Thu 10/May/12 11:22am

steep shit
sam_hills_the_man
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 10/May/12 11:31am

Skids and wheelies!! :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby RussS on Thu 10/May/12 11:32am

hmmm - what charachterizes riding in ChurChur?

Liquifaction, constantly moving trails and aggro bastards in bumblebee riding tops?
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 10/May/12 11:48am

Is there much riding at Castle Hill? That's pretty epic scenery I think, a trip out there to Castle Hill/Craigieburn could be in order by the sounds of it. A lot of it would be talking to a rider/riders so wouldn't need too much footage.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Thu 10/May/12 12:04pm

wuffy wrote:Is there much riding at Castle Hill? That's pretty epic scenery I think, a trip out there to Castle Hill/Craigieburn could be in order by the sounds of it. A lot of it would be talking to a rider/riders so wouldn't need too much footage.

You've seen Drop In NZ?
Epic trials riding on the rocks up there from Shawn/Shaun/Sean Denny. Bearclaw might've been riding that segment too?
Recall discussions around access to ride it being difficult though.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby danose on Thu 10/May/12 12:58pm

wuffy wrote:Is there much riding at Castle Hill? That's pretty epic scenery I think, a trip out there to Castle Hill/Craigieburn could be in order by the sounds of it. A lot of it would be talking to a rider/riders so wouldn't need too much footage.

bad news is no bikes permitted in the reserve (the footage in Drop-In was shot illegally) - anyway it's not really 'indicative of riding in chch' (since no-one rides there because of the above).

go film up on the edge (craigieburn) - the mountains are just starting to get snow so the backdrops should be excellent, and the sense of 'bigness' on the screes should come across nicely on film
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 10/May/12 1:06pm

sam_hills_the_man wrote:sheep shit

fixxored that for ya...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Thu 10/May/12 1:09pm

The beech forest trails and epic mountains are what NZ riding is all about to me....

There is something about the right amount of drift and grip that the beech forest leaf litter loam provides to tyres and something about the way beech forest roots set up so nicely for mountain bike trails.

The access to the mountains here is great, and you get them all to yourself. I love being able to get out in the mountains!

Things like Cass Lagoon http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... n-by-bike/

Or over Craigieburn to Cass http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... in-biking/
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 10/May/12 4:08pm

The fact that anyone can jump on their bike, and be riding a trail within about 15 minutes from home, or maybe even less.

:) :) :)
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 10/May/12 7:50pm

:withstupid: :withstupid:
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Tramping - Latest Posts