Choosing Between Fox Float 100mm Rlc And Terralogic

Postby Andy_newlands on Wed 9/May/12 10:41am

I've been looking into a new fork for a hardtail bike i'm building up and have narrowed it down to either a fox float 100mm RLC or terralogic. The only place in nz i've been able to find it in is bicycle.co.nz which has the RLC for $1300 with a 15qr and the Terralogic for $1460 with 15qr. Does anyone have either of these forks and want to add their opinion on them.
Is the terralogic worth the extra or is it more of a marketing gimmick with less responsive suspension for $160 more?

Thanks for any help
Andy
Andy_newlands
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Re: Choosing Between Fox Float 100mm Rlc And Terralogic

Postby sifter on Wed 9/May/12 10:44am

I've had a terralogic fork, and an RLC, and preferred the latter.
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby RugbySucks on Wed 9/May/12 2:40pm

I've got a Terralogic and an RLC fork at present, and as above, would rather use the RLC.

Prefer my Reba with lockout, and adjustable Motion Control, to both of those though.

Cheers
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Andy_newlands on Wed 9/May/12 9:30pm

yea i'd been considering a SID XX with xloc for a while, which if got from overseas would be just over $1000 including import tax and all that. Not having a thru axle was the one thing that put me off going the rockshox direction.
Andy_newlands

Postby .I. on Wed 9/May/12 10:41pm

I bolt up some Marzocchi 44's
.I.
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 10/May/12 6:57am

Andy_newlands wrote:yea i'd been considering a SID XX with xloc for a while, which if got from overseas would be just over $1000 including import tax and all that. Not having a thru axle was the one thing that put me off going the rockshox direction.

You can get SID's with 15mm maxle lowers.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 10/May/12 8:00am

Indeed you can.

I prefer the Rockshox fork over the Fox - I like Dual Air, and I also like the newer 3 position motion control. The fact the SID (even the bottom model) is ~1 pound lighter than the equivalent Fox (in 29er guise) is a bonus, and I can't detect any more 'flex' in the SID over the F32.

I haven't used one of the new Terralogic forks myself, but have used the old (original) version, and found them a little odd - you could really feel the on/off motion, and I ended up using them fully open most of the time.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby Andy_newlands on Thu 10/May/12 9:30am

I was under the impression the 15mm maxle was only available on 120mm or longer Forks, atleast thats what i'd gathered as every site i'd been to had them only on 120mm and up.

Will changing the spacers around to get 100mm travel actually lower the forks or just stop them getting the last 20mm of travel?
That could be the option i'm after if it works.

The only problem with the 3 position motion control is theres no remote available for it and flicking crown mounted levers on the fly can be a real nightmare. Thats the one reason whyi was considering the xx over the rct3
Andy_newlands

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 10/May/12 9:50am

I'm currently using a Reba 29er 20mm maxle, that has 120mm travel available. I put in a 20mm spacer, which restricts the fork to only 100mm travel.

That has motion control that you can effectively dial-in each ride, on the fly, with bump sensitivity.

The lock out is currently crown mounted, which took a couple of rides to get used to.

You can purchase a kit from Rockshox to make it handlebar mounted, which makes life easier. just extra gear on the bar though.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Andy_newlands on Thu 10/May/12 1:54pm

Since rockshox don't make a 3 way remote lever wouldn't the only way be replacing it with a open-closed setup which would need the equivalent damper for that remote style, making getting the rct3 in the first place pointless?
Andy_newlands

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 10/May/12 2:05pm

How often do you switch between locked out and open, and do you do so while negotiating singletrack?

I had a set of the Reba XX forks, and don't miss the remote at all, but each to their own.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Thu 10/May/12 2:31pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:How often do you switch between locked out and open, and do you do so while negotiating singletrack?

How often do you fang into a downhill and realise you've forgotten to release your lock out :lol:

I liked the remote on my Reba, but don't miss not having one on my RLC.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Andy_newlands on Thu 10/May/12 3:21pm

With the current rl on my stumpjumper fsr i will hardly ever put it in lockout as its a pain with the crown lockout and not having the threshold adjust means it needs quite a hit to let it open up. I generally just suffer through it on the uphills as its not really designed to be a super efficient uphill machine anyway.

The bike i'm building up will be intended as a lightweight and efficient climber that i'll enter into races from time to time. The original reason i was considering the rlc or terra was because of the thru axle and to counter not having the remote the terra can be just set and left alone and rlc can be set with a low threshold allowing it to be locked out a fair bit of the time.

With the xx a fair bit lighter, cheaper and with a remote, maybe the best option would be to just suck it up and go with a quick release fork.
Andy_newlands

Postby Andy_newlands on Thu 10/May/12 9:20pm

another option i've just looked into would be getting the 120mm sid xx which comes with a 15mm thru axle and reducing it to 100mm

does doing so mess with the rebound and stuff like that as its sitting lower than originally designed?
Andy_newlands

Postby SlackBoy on Thu 10/May/12 9:46pm

Naw, It will work fine lowered down.
The performance increase from the 15mm thru axle is IMHO, greater than the handiness of having a remote lockout. This is increased even more so on a 29er.
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Tramping - Latest Posts