Calendar Event: July 6, 2012

New Cycle Event For Napier

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Tue 13/Mar/12 8:47pm

Ride of your Life! New Cycle event for Napier

Napier Mayor Barbara Arnott has announced a new planned event for the July school holidays (6 – 8th inclusive).
“Napier - for the Ride of your Life‟ is a continuation of the play Napier has had over 20 years on their marketing theme “Napier – for the time of your Life‟ and will be the theme for 3 days of cycle events in the City.

“There are around 7 planned events from competition through to recreational” said Barbara. “These include the first ever New Zealand national CycloCross which is attracting national and international riders, Bike Polo at the Sound Shell, an Urban Mountain Bike event on Bluff Hill and a series of Criterium events on Marine Parade at night.”

“Winning the first ever CycloCross nationals is rather special” said Barbara. “The course will be in the hills behind EIT”. There will also be some recreational activity which will include a BMX Big Air demonstration and right through the weekend bikers can ride the region's pathways, collecting stamps in a “pathways passport‟ provided and be in to win a number of spot prizes.

Working with the Council to ensure the success of the weekend are staff from Bike NZ, Sport HB and various bike club representatives. “We hope this will be such a great weekend that it may become an annual event” said Barbara. “Just as the Council has supported new events to date, like the Mission Concert and Great Long Lunch, we hope our involvement will lead to the event eventually growing and sustaining itself”.

On top of all the Bike activity, the city will once again host “City Showcase‟ over the same weekend. The first such showcase to come to NZ was held in Napier in November 2010 and the winning band from that event, “Horusset‟ is about to travel to compete in the London City Showcase. “City Showcase is a musical event where the Band with the most votes will once again receive automatic entry to the London event” said Barbara, “which would ordinarily be impossible from this far away”. Bands are again expected from all over New Zealand and Australia.

“In all we are delighted with the planned events for this weekend in the middle of winter. The activity will attract visitors at a time when the Region is at its quietist – which is just what the region and community need” said Barbara.

posted at http://www.napier.govt.nz on 8/3/2012
Hawkesbaymtb
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: New Cycle Event For Napier

Postby kenfeist on Tue 13/Mar/12 8:54pm

4th ever cyclocross nationals...
kenfeist
"www.kenfeistcx.com"
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby Muppet Patroler on Tue 13/Mar/12 9:21pm

errrr will be the 5th I think (The Tron x3, Q-town x1) :thumbsup:
Muppet Patroler
"insane in the membrane, insane in the brain"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby On1yOnCCe on Tue 13/Mar/12 9:36pm

hey hbmtb, off the topic abit but you should organise a dig day at the taradale dirt jumps. :)
On1yOnCCe
"Ride hard, then some more"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Tue 13/Mar/12 10:28pm

At OnlyOnCCe - Why? - last year we did some major rebuilding of the Taradale Dirt Park - which is aimed at the family/beginner level rider, separate to the building of the new Pump Track next to it.

In reply to the Cyclocross Nationals - I asked the same question to the organisors when I read this, as last year our own local rider came away from Queenstown with what I thought was the National Champions title.
But apparently the Cyclocross event being staged here in Napier in July will be the first official NZ Cyclocross champs, (being a new code, its taken a while to get it under the BikeNZ umbrella so to speak). The local CXHB club are sanctioned by BikeNZ, who are also in the process of trying to get UCI sanctioning (which would give the winner UCI recognition), but regardless the winner will ride away with the NZ Cyclocross National Championship title.

More info at http://www.nzcyclocross.co.nz
Hawkesbaymtb

Postby kenfeist on Wed 14/Mar/12 6:14am

The big problem with making it UCI legal is there are very few bikes in NZ that will comply and the course will probably have to be entirely hand made. (The rule list is crazy long)
kenfeist
"www.kenfeistcx.com"
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby ultraslowrider on Wed 14/Mar/12 9:48pm

I am seriously keen to partake in some polo! Is there anyone in Napier / Hastings playing ATM?
I moved over from Taupo recently, and haven't played polo since... Keen to get back into it if there's anyone out there playing?!
ultraslowrider
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Vixter on Thu 15/Mar/12 8:30am

Hey Ultraslowrider, We are just starting the Polo here in HB. Have got the local BMC club behind it and currently putting together some gear to start using. I'm sure they would appreciate some help and advice, if you have played before. Taupo crew going to help out with this "Ride of Your Life" event too. Will prob get some practice/teams going over in Hastings at the roller rink, behind Splash Planet. So feel free to come along......
Vixter
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby ultraslowrider on Thu 15/Mar/12 7:41pm

Wicked! I'll be there... Just post the day & time up on here and I'll be in like flinn! I played quite a bit in Taupo with nige & the crew over there, so I might be able to help a bit with setting up. I know the rules, tactics etc. so can definitely help out in getting things up and running! Now to get my polo gear over from TPO...
ultraslowrider
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby On1yOnCCe on Thu 15/Mar/12 9:50pm

because there isn't alot of beginners and familes who go. i could name probably about 30 people who go there often enough and bebefit from decent Dirt Jumps. For e.g look at Queentown's Wynyard. There are so many riders in Hawkes Bay that would definatly benefit from jumps like these.
On1yOnCCe
"Ride hard, then some more"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Fri 16/Mar/12 5:23pm

At 'On1yOnCCe' - We will put this topic on the agenda at the next HBMTBC committee meeting, RE: advanced level jumps at the Taradale Dirt Park.

NB: That this venue is heavily used by families & kids (they just might not be there when you ride there) & that any work done would be built with imported dirt (not dug), it would be added onto the park (rather than alter of the existing) & would need approval/sign-off from the HBRC & then a funding application to find money to pay for it all. So it's a lot more complicated than at first glance.

Also note: It cost about $18k to create the original Dirt Park in 2009 plus more than $2k in last years re-build and then more than $8k to create the Pump Track next to it in 2011. Funding from "PubCharity" contributed $22k towards all this, with the rest paid for by the HBMTBC.

http://www.hawkesbaymtb.co.nz
Hawkesbaymtb

BMX Riding | Cycling | Cyclocross | Hawkes Bay | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts