Ot: Define 'reasonable Time' In Cga

Postby mjc on Sun 4/Mar/12 10:11am

So I sent a camera away to get a warranty issue fixed a while back. It was returned to me after a week with a new battery which did not fix the problem. I sent the camera back again after a week of home testing and it has been sent to a repair agent who is 'very busy' and 'will get to it as soon as possible'.

It has now been over 6 weeks since I first sent it away, do you think this breaches the 'reasonable time' clause in the CGA and I have rights to demand a refund? Surely you wouldn't be expected to wait that long for a more essential household appliance?

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/cons ... g-it-right
mjc
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Ot: Define 'reasonable Time' In Cga

Postby happybaboon on Sun 4/Mar/12 10:43am

Yeah that's too long. There's a "reject goods" letter template on the Consumer website. Use that :)

I think "reasonable time" would be based around the complexity/rarity of the product and the difficulty of the repair job... So if it was an unusual/expensive item requiring difficult repairs then maybe 6 weeks wouldn't be too bad... But for things like cameras that the shop/suppliers probably have thousands of new ones of and that probably isn't very expensive it's probably fair to expect a repair/replacement to not take very long at all.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby northernmonkey on Mon 5/Mar/12 2:16pm

mjc wrote:So I sent a camera away to get a warranty issue fixed a while back. It was returned to me after a week with a new battery which did not fix the problem. I sent the camera back again after a week of home testing and it has been sent to a repair agent who is 'very busy' and 'will get to it as soon as possible'.

It has now been over 6 weeks since I first sent it away, do you think this breaches the 'reasonable time' clause in the CGA and I have rights to demand a refund? Surely you wouldn't be expected to wait that long for a more essential household appliance?

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/cons ... g-it-right

Squeeky wheels get Oiled... Just harangue the guy every day till he releents and does it to get rid of you...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Mon 5/Mar/12 2:29pm

what he said. Insist on an agreed deadline of few days where afterwards they'll be asked to refund or replace. Record it in some way too such as email or written and let him know why you are recording it. If you get trader to commit to a resolution deadline rather than 'as soon as can' it helps to define what 'reasonable' is.

If it goes too far, it adds a bit of grunt to your argument if you can show trader has failed to respond reasonably to agreed times.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby .I. on Mon 5/Mar/12 2:58pm

short answer is 'No'

be for you go off wankerish like the posters above susgest

Find out if there is any reason for the delay...has the repair actually looked at it? are they waiting for parts?

from a repairers side of things...yes they may be busy, they may have 3-4+ weeks of worked booked in and because you are not their customer you just join back of the queue, I gather its the first time the "repairer" has seen it so it not a "come back" some body in house tried the first time ?

so no I don't believe to wait has been excessive yet, its just stiff biscuits for you

Such is life when you don't purcahse from a servicing dealer (not that many camera places probably do full in house servicing these days)
.I.
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Mon 5/Mar/12 4:48pm

It's a 2nd time repair (by retailer) FYI. Agree find out why taking so long, but it's inaccurate to accept 'such is life' or a lack of timeframe if don't purchase from servicing dealer.

CGA and sales agreements do not differ based on the retailer's capability to repair in-house. The sale agreement is between MJC and retailer, not subject to repair agent capacity. It's the retailer's issue to resolve the problem reasonably - but in saying that, reasonably could just mean better communication or offering a substitute camera.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts