Touring Great Barrier

Postby mjc on Mon 20/Feb/12 8:24pm

Thinking of heading over for 3 or 4 days of fat tyre touring....

Asking for any thoughts... particularly whether anyone thinks Forest Road would be suitable for lugging a BOB Yak over?

Chur
mjc
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Touring Great Barrier

Postby jo on Tue 21/Feb/12 8:32am

Golly. I did it years ago.
*dredge*
I dont think its undoable, but it'd probably be abit tedious in places. I seem to recall some rutty sections.

edit: Just do it. Loved every day there. Sun, surf, beach. Dolphin spotting. I did it on a rigid hardtail with a rear rack.
Didnt have change at the camping ground so left too much in the envelope. under car rego wrote "bike" and the ranger found us a few hours later to give us our change. :cool:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby NaturalHigh on Tue 21/Feb/12 9:09am

jo wrote:Golly. I did it years ago.
*dredge*
I dont think its undoable, but it'd probably be abit tedious in places. I seem to recall some rutty sections.

edit: Just do it. Loved every day there. Sun, surf, beach. Dolphin spotting. I did it on a rigid hardtail with a rear rack.
Didnt have change at the camping ground so left too much in the envelope. under car rego wrote "bike" and the ranger found us a few hours later to give us our change. :cool:

Thanks Jo...

Been wanting to get out there for ages... hopefully the plan will come together.

The other option is Freeload racks + Panniers on our 140mm trail bikes. I've done some stupid stuff with a BOB before though so will see closer to the time!
NaturalHigh
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby blackadder63 on Tue 21/Feb/12 11:03am

Check these links out, Loan Burger and Simon Yates from Auckland Mountain Bike club did Great Barrier recently... http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150539286853948.398488.606388947&type=1 and http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143579253, if you go to the "next" tab in Garmin you will see the following stages they did.
blackadder63
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Richie_D on Tue 21/Feb/12 12:38pm

I did this last year - just with panniers. As Jo said, go and do it, it is awesome, such a chilled place to ride a bike.

We did the Forest Road after a day of rain and there was quite a bit of cloying mud, and it was slippery in places. But it's not all that far, so even if you find it tedious it won't take you all that long to get through it, even if you push a bit.
Richie_D
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby trancemaster on Tue 21/Feb/12 3:07pm

Easily one of the Best mtb tours in nz. Harataonga is a 5* singletrack, also te ahumata 4*, okiwi saddle into fitzroy, Forest rd 20 is fun. Doc needs to redesignate these in their current plan review for bikes.
camping, 2 mt'n doc huts, surf, hot springs , kaka parrots, no traffic , mostly sealed roads now ,not many shops open tho, 021 cell at Tryp facing south, or at Fitzroy. the only Fullers is easter an need to book bikes on, planes wont guaranttee them . Do it !
trancemaster
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts