Biking Worth More To Rotorua Than Forestry

Postby Kevin Hague on Mon 16/Jan/12 5:36pm

In case you didn't catch it:

http://www.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/news/ ... 2/1236817/

These economic evaluations all depend a lot on what the researchers have chosen to count or not count, but as the researchers here were Scion, it's a safe bet that the conclusion is valid. The economic evaluation of the National Cycle Network in Britain showed benefit:cost ratios of between 18 and 40, depending on where the particular track was. Those numbers are so good that some people simply assume that they cannot be true, but the fact is that bike tracks and cycling infrastructure are brilliantly good investments.
Kevin Hague
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Biking Worth More To Rotorua Than Forestry

Postby Mickyfinn on Mon 16/Jan/12 8:13pm

the lesson.... stop cutting down trees and build more tracks, and the world will come..... ( but not too many I hope)
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby wallyg on Mon 16/Jan/12 9:00pm

what about turning our whole rail network into a cycleway as it has never made money in its present form.
wallyg
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Mon 16/Jan/12 9:25pm

wallyg wrote:what about turning our whole rail network into a cycleway as it has never made money in its present form.

What about we stop subsidizing the trucking industry so rail gets a fair go? :blink:
znomit
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 16/Jan/12 10:26pm

wallyg wrote:what about turning our whole rail network into a cycleway as it has never made money in its present form.

AND turn ALL forestry blocks into mountainbike parks! ftw :love:

znomit wrote:What about we stop subsidizing the trucking industry so rail gets a fair go? :blink:

:withstupid: true.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Mon 16/Jan/12 10:43pm

Kevin Hague wrote:These economic evaluations all depend a lot on what the researchers have chosen to count or not count, but as the researchers here were Scion, it's a safe bet that the conclusion is valid.

Could they run the numbers on this:

Note Rotorua and bike related!
znomit
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Mon 16/Jan/12 11:22pm

Mickyfinn wrote:the lesson.... stop cutting down trees and build more tracks, and the world will come..... ( but not too many I hope)

Wrong.

It's cool that bikes bring more to the town than logging. Long may it last.

But logging earns more for the forest owners than bikes. Infact I wouldn't be surprised if having to work around thousands of bikes in the forest adds to the costs of logging.

This study wont lead to forest owners giving up on logging to make mtb trails.
Colin
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby johnL on Tue 17/Jan/12 6:40am

Its also great that Red Stag (Waipa Mill) boss is an avid MTB rider and sponsors the Waiariki MTB squad.
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Slim on Tue 17/Jan/12 7:13am

Colin wrote:
Mickyfinn wrote:the lesson.... stop cutting down trees and build more tracks, and the world will come..... ( but not too many I hope)

Wrong.

It's cool that bikes bring more to the town than logging. Long may it last.

The study is return from MTBs vs return from Whakarewarewa Forest. It's certainly not the value of all the areas forestry.
Slim
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 17/Jan/12 7:17am

znomit wrote:

What about we stop subsidizing the trucking industry so rail gets a fair go? :blink:

um exactly how does New Zealand subsidise the road transport industry??
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Flyboy on Tue 17/Jan/12 7:56am

oh we really do, trust me. The cost of the damage that trucks do to the roading network far outweighs the money they contribute to the upkeep of the roads.

theres a lot of other factors in there that you could factor in to argue otherwise but its well known within the roading industry that heavy trucks do more damage than its worth to the roads & that a staggering amount of money is spent keeping roads intact where logging trucks (for example) have damaged them.

Logging trucks tend to get looked at harder because often the roads they use for logging are not designed for the weight of those trucks, and the transport of a single block of forestry can often damage the small road that was originally designed for light vehicle weights so much that a complete re-surfacing is needed, something that the council & NZTA pays for, not the logging company.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Jan/12 8:03am

pushbikerider wrote:
znomit wrote:

um exactly how does New Zealand subsidise the road transport industry??

I am interested in this too. I think the way the road user charges are set up that it is cheaper for people to send things around the county in trucks than by train and part of the reason for this is that the roads are subsidized by the government and that the heavy road transport industry is not paying the real cost of their wear and tear on the roads. I could be wrong on this tho.

I would love to see less trucks on the main road between chch and picton when there is a perfectly good rail line running the whole way.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Slim on Tue 17/Jan/12 8:08am

Flyboy wrote:oh we really do, trust me. The cost of the damage that trucks do to the roading network far outweighs the money they contribute to the upkeep of the roads.

theres a lot of other factors in there that you could factor in to argue otherwise but its well known within the roading industry that heavy trucks do more damage than its worth to the roads & that a staggering amount of money is spent keeping roads intact where logging trucks (for example) have damaged them.

Logging trucks tend to get looked at harder because often the roads they use for logging are not designed for the weight of those trucks, and the transport of a single block of forestry can often damage the small road that was originally designed for light vehicle weights so much that a complete re-surfacing is needed, something that the council & NZTA pays for, not the logging company.

and how much has NZ spent sponsoring the rail network?

it's a competitive market, and rail is simply too slow and too inflexible for business to use most of the time.

I can next day a pallet of product to Auckland from Christchurch, It's 5-7 days on rail.
Slim
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Tue 17/Jan/12 8:18am

Slim wrote:I can next day a pallet of product to Auckland from Christchurch, It's 5-7 days on rail.

Bingo. In a perfect world, rail makes so much sense in so many ways. But we still live in the real world, where time is money and people want/need stuff now.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby OBM on Tue 17/Jan/12 9:17am

It's too bad we don't have a Mountain Bike Club worth shit to promote/manage the resource.
OBM
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Bay of Plenty | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Rotorua - Latest Posts