Bike Storage

Postby spiderweb on Sun 18/Dec/11 4:16pm

So the garage is getting a bit cluttered and I'm thinking hanging the bikes might be a good way to de-clutter.
What's the experiences with hanging from the wheel or some places sell these bars that extend floor to ceiling and you can hang by the top tube if that makes sense.

How do others keep their bikes organised without building an extra garage :)
spiderweb
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Bike Storage

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 18/Dec/11 5:28pm

hanging via the front wheel is easier than most of those racks that hold bikes by the top tube, especially with modern MTB's that have wide bars and odd shaped top tubes. Also normally the hooks that hang off the wall for the front wheel are a whole lot cheaper than the full height racks

I'm lucky that we've got a big garage under the house which means that for the most part the bikes are in stands on the ground, but the retro DH bike project sits up high on one of those floor to celling stands
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby 6Bikes on Sun 18/Dec/11 10:56pm

I hang my bikes from utility hooks into 4x2's sitting on the rafters in my garage. Never had any issues it seems to work ok. Works well with earthquakes too, no bikes fell over or down. Just remember to take your water bottles off before you hang your bike up or they spill....
6Bikes
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 19/Dec/11 1:24am

Same, I attached big U hooks to a length of 4x2' then attached that to the roof beams as high as possible to leave space underneath.
It is removable for portability and adjustment.
The bikes top and tail. The hooks have a flat 8cm bottom to allow horizontal positioning, and to allow a bare frame to be hung on top of a bike.

Hook spacing: 42cm bars are 45cm total width. Add 2cm for STIs and a wee gap, then work out where your last hook fits with that minimum spacing. Measure the spare room available , and divide it between the hooks to give easier access.

I put hot water pipe insulation on the hooks to avoid scratching, it won't last though. Old bar tape or wrap with inner tube might be better.

Front forks of frames minus wheels scrape on the concrete wall a bit so I'll put a bit of wood on it to stop that.
Bikes without a front wheel get their handlebar turned sideways and tied to the top tube. For added slimness the bar clamp is loosened enough to rotate the bar down, and the most protruding pedal is removed and wired onto the other pedal.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Mon 19/Dec/11 3:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby yak71 on Mon 19/Dec/11 1:47pm

I hang me bikes by the front or rear wheel off some dirt cheap hooks from bunnings.
The only issue I've encountered was on my blur the forks would kind of be locked out for a few mins after taking it down, i assume from oil moving around. This was only when hung from the front wheel, so solved that by hanging by the rear.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Malcy on Mon 19/Dec/11 2:11pm

We fixed our issues with a garden shed?

Easy as pie. And it's a handy man cave!

DSC01210.JPG

DSC01299.JPG
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby spiderweb on Tue 20/Dec/11 11:59pm

Sweet, thanks for those replies. Certainly gives me something to think about over the holiday break and where best to hang/position bikes. Unfortunately, no room for a dedicated bike cave but a hook arrangement might be a goer and still inside a secure/alarmed compound. :thumbsup:
spiderweb
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 21/Dec/11 11:12am

Simonius_Titius wrote:Same, I attached big U hooks to a length of 4x2' then attached that to the roof beams as high as possible to leave space underneath.
It is removable for portability and adjustment.
The bikes top and tail. The hooks have a flat 8cm bottom to allow horizontal positioning, and to allow a bare frame to be hung on top of a bike.

Hook spacing: 42cm bars are 45cm total width. Add 2cm for STIs and a wee gap, then work out where your last hook fits with that minimum spacing. Measure the spare room available , and divide it between the hooks to give easier access.

I put hot water pipe insulation on the hooks to avoid scratching, it won't last though. Old bar tape or wrap with inner tube might be better.

Front forks of frames minus wheels scrape on the concrete wall a bit so I'll put a bit of wood on it to stop that.
Bikes without a front wheel get their handlebar turned sideways and tied to the top tube. For added slimness the bar clamp is loosened enough to rotate the bar down, and the most protruding pedal is removed and wired onto the other pedal.

:eh:
picspls
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 22/Dec/11 4:33pm

I use hooks to fit too many bikes into a very small cupboard in a shared garage. Works well, and the hooks are cheap. Just remember not to use the part of the wheel with the valve attached to hook onto.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Mon 26/Dec/11 8:33pm

I just hang mine off the 4x2 running the length of my garage, Just made up some 4x2 "U" holders and wrapped them with foam and tape, hang the bike by the seat, :thumbsup:
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby MuayThaiOnABike on Tue 27/Dec/11 3:48pm

I got a couple of bike holders from Bunnings, can't remember price but, I think around $25 each at the time

Like many others, I need more...
DSCF8313.jpg
MuayThaiOnABike
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 27/Dec/11 4:00pm

How many bikes do you need?
One mountian bike;
Road bike for training
Road bike for racing ( plus one if you timetrial/ tri)
Commuter
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Tue 27/Dec/11 4:49pm

Mickyfinn wrote:How many bikes do you need?
One mountian bike;
Road bike for training
Commuter

The correct number of bikes is x+1, where x = the current number of bikes in the garage :)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Tue 27/Dec/11 5:12pm

scatter wrote:
One mountian bike;
Road bike for training
Commuter

The correct number of bikes is x+1, where x = the current number of bikes in the garage :)

:D
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Flyboy on Tue 27/Dec/11 7:34pm

The_Quinsta wrote:
scatter wrote:
One mountian bike;
Road bike for training
Commuter

:D

So true :D
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts