Pertini Frame

Postby 6Bikes on Mon 12/Dec/11 11:30pm

Can anyone out there tell me about road frame I have. Its called a Pertini and has a couple of Silver and blue foil decals with the name. It has a Ishiwata Hi tension 0245 tubing label. I'm guessing it could be a mid 80's frame? It sounds italian, but has japanese tubing.

The lugs and tube set look similar to a NZ built Mitchell that is on Oli's Roadwork blog but with more brase on details like cable guides and shifter boss.

Can anyone confirm the age and who may have made it? thanks
6Bikes
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Re: Pertini Frame

Postby Oli on Mon 12/Dec/11 11:44pm

I seem to recall Pertini was a spin-off brand from Mitchell, and that they were (mainly?) built by Mark Maclean, who built for Mitchell. They may even have been built by Mitchell as an Italian sounding alternative? I am no expert on dating them, but I'd suggest you're not far off when you say mid-80s.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby johnL on Tue 13/Dec/11 6:33am

I had one in 83. Oli you are correct. Mine was Ish 019 tubing
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby 6Bikes on Tue 13/Dec/11 9:35pm

thanks Guys. Was Mitchell a North island builder?
My frame is missing most decals, so if anyone has pictures of one I would like to see some. I am going to restore my frame next year and would like to make some decals.
Mark Mclean rings a bell, he went on to build Tarini, I am rebuilding a Mixte for my wife which has his signature on it.
6Bikes

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 13/Dec/11 11:27pm

The owner of the AvantiPlus shop in New Plymouth knows a bit about Mitchells, he may be able to put you in touch with a chap who has records by serial number for many of the builds.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 14/Dec/11 6:44am

Simonius_Titius wrote:The owner of the AvantiPlus shop in New Plymouth knows a bit about Mitchells, he may be able to put you in touch with a chap who has records by serial number for many of the builds.

These days that shop is back trading as Mitchell Cycles, ask for Blair ;)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts