Rapaki Road: Drilling, Chainsaws, Explosives 25 Nov - 23 Dec

Postby mfw on Mon 28/Nov/11 3:59pm

Christchurch Singletrack Rides wrote:IMPORTANT: Port Hills Rock Stabilization
Rapaki Road
Rock stabilization will occur above Rapaki Road from the 25th of November till the 23rd December.
You will hear the sound of drilling, helicopters, chainsaws and explosives.
We have structured our program around minimizing disruption to residents and park users but please note:

The closure of Rapaki track will be enforced between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Residents requiring entry to properties beyond number 50 Rapaki Road may encounter 10min delays
We welcome any questions you have about these works and look forward to your support through this portion of the earthquake remediation works.
Abel Roche
Operations Manager
Ph: 021 425 498

Sounds exciting but maybe not the best time to go up there to have a look...
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Rapaki Road: Drilling, Chainsaws, Explosives 25 Nov - 23 Dec

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 28/Nov/11 4:06pm

people have been ignoring the signs for months now, how is a few rocks tumbling down and explosives going off going to stop them!?

i was surprised to see the Petite Brevet still going up and down it... Tim shoulda chucked in the FarmTrack as a curveball :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Kite on Mon 28/Nov/11 5:00pm

But OK to ride outside these hours?
Kite
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 28/Nov/11 5:59pm

Its been closed for months already. So no.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Mon 28/Nov/11 8:11pm

I saw streams of people travelling both up and down there on Sunday. It is pretty appalling really. Even Le Petit brevet course went up and down it..... :( With alternatives available I don't understand why people feel the need to keep using it while it is closed.
JUANGEAR
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 29/Nov/11 12:00am

possibly becus they uderstand the difference between real danger, perceived danger and beaurocratic arse covering?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Simpleone on Tue 29/Nov/11 8:30am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:possibly becus they uderstand the difference between real danger, perceived danger and beaurocratic arse covering?

You keep riding it then and do us all a fa................................ :butbut:
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 29/Nov/11 9:53am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:possibly becus they uderstand the difference between real danger, perceived danger and beaurocratic arse covering?

the danger is still real. talking to some of the rangers recently, Godley is still closed because there's rocks been identified that would likely tumble in a 4.5 or 5, let alone another 6+... Same would be the case with Rapaki, and Bowenvale Valley...

But , the risk was ALWAYS there, ie the quakes that hit chch have always been a "risk", so yes, there is an element of Beaurocratic arse covering after the horse has bolted so to speak to turn a phrase at the end of the day as you well know going forward
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby danose on Tue 29/Nov/11 10:35am

swtchbckr wrote:talking to some of the rangers recently, Godley is still closed because there's rocks been identified that would likely tumble in a 4.5 or 5, let alone another 6+... Same would be the case with Rapaki, and Bowenvale Valley...

anyone who's lurked around the rockier bits of the port hills for long enough realises our rock is such that plenty of it falls down all by itself (without any help from quakes) - massive rockfall at castle rock in august last year (trees chopped off at ground level!), and of course there was the poor dude who had a whole pillar fall on top of him up at Mt Pleasant a few years back. In both cases little fuss made about it - difference this time is it's affected 'normal people' hence the massive council over-reaction (in all honesty, there is NO WAY all the rock on the port hills can ever be made safe)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 29/Nov/11 3:57pm

swtchbckr wrote:

the danger is still real. talking to some of the rangers recently, Godley is still closed because there's rocks been identified that would likely tumble in a 4.5 or 5, let alone another 6+... Same would be the case with Rapaki, and Bowenvale Valley...

But , the risk was ALWAYS there, ie the quakes that hit chch have always been a "risk", so yes, there is an element of Beaurocratic arse covering after the horse has bolted so to speak to turn a phrase at the end of the day as you well know going forward

what is the relative risk of being seriously injured/killed in an earthquake rockfall compared to the risk of serious injury or death in mountainbiking on the port hills alone without eartquakes.
Certainly the serious injury rate without earthquake is very high . . .

i suspect the marginal increase in risk is tiny - for the individual
great uncle bulgaria

Postby JUANGEAR on Tue 29/Nov/11 9:09pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

what is the relative risk of being seriously injured/killed in an earthquake rockfall compared to the risk of serious injury or death in mountainbiking on the port hills alone without eartquakes.

I think you are missing the point... The CCC have closed the track. Just like they do when they are too wet, pretty simple really.
JUANGEAR
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby jacks0n0 on Wed 30/Nov/11 8:37am

Looks promising for the track officially opening again in the near future. Just have to wait for this blasting to be finished, then wait for someone to peer review, then wait until the council has made a decision about opening it. In the mean time it will probably rain, which will require another peer review, more blasting, blah blah blah. Might be declared "safe" by 2013 if we're lucky.

Edit: apologies to council rangers and other workers. I know you are doing your best, but it is hard to avoid the feelings listed above.
jacks0n0
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby danose on Wed 30/Nov/11 11:02am

jacks0n0 wrote:Looks promising for the track officially opening again in the near future. Just have to wait for this blasting to be finished, then wait for someone to peer review, then wait until the council has made a decision about opening it. In the mean time it will probably rain, which will require another peer review, more blasting, blah blah blah. Might be declared "safe" by 2013 if we're lucky.

I would love to know how the peer review is being done too - should be a party with no vested interest/connections, wheras it'd be easy for the process to be hijacked by those keen to gouge the public purse for as much money as they can whilst the pickings are good (e.g. people with connections to the geotech firms doing the work)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 30/Nov/11 1:11pm

JUANGEAR wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

I think you are missing the point... The CCC have closed the track. Just like they do when they are too wet, pretty simple really.

clue: closing when wet has a completely different reason to closing after earthquakes :rolleyes:
great uncle bulgaria

Postby jacks0n0 on Wed 30/Nov/11 2:17pm

danose wrote:
jacks0n0 wrote:Looks promising for the track officially opening again in the near future. Just have to wait for this blasting to be finished, then wait for someone to peer review, then wait until the council has made a decision about opening it. In the mean time it will probably rain, which will require another peer review, more blasting, blah blah blah. Might be declared "safe" by 2013 if we're lucky.

I would love to know how the peer review is being done too - should be a party with no vested interest/connections, wheras it'd be easy for the process to be hijacked by those keen to gouge the public purse for as much money as they can whilst the pickings are good (e.g. people with connections to the geotech firms doing the work)

I couldn't find who did the actual peer review (probably need to ask a real person), but at least the council policies state that it should be an independent third party (see secion 4.4.9 of http://bit.ly/vJHc6N).

In other news, take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2qP5vjjFY&feature=player_embedded
It gives some idea of why officials are not keen to open up rockfall prone areas. Personally, I had not realized just how much new rockfall had come down in June.
jacks0n0
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Running | Sifting - Latest Posts