How To Advertise A Small Business?!

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 29/Sep/11 5:49pm

In the last year or so I've been setting up to get back into my trade. I have had a number of customers who have been very happy with my work but they're unlikely to provide ongoing work - they're mainly one offs.

I need to advertise more.
I currently have a Trademe classified listing - which has been viewed lots and I've had work from it and good reviews.
I also sell trade related items on Trademe.
I've set up a website on sites.google.com but its pretty crappy, just has basic information and is hard to find.
I've had the back of our cars decaled (yesterday) and have a novel idea for the sides / tops too which will be done in the next week or so. When I'm not teaching and using our second car I'll take it to the all day parking at the shops with my bike in it, bike home and get it late in the day.

We don’t have the $ for newspaper ads and I really wonder about the worth of them anyway.
I would really like some way of advertising nationally as I’ve had work from different parts of NZ when people have known about me and what I do. I think a better website would help with that.

Sensible ideas appreciated :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: How To Advertise A Small Business?!

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 29/Sep/11 5:56pm

Type of business/trade?
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 29/Sep/11 5:59pm

And where?
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 29/Sep/11 6:05pm

way_downsouth wrote:Type of business/trade?

Electronics / mechanical.

West Auckland. I want to work from home - I've set up a work room etc and installed safes and am alarming or house and shed where I work.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby bugle on Thu 29/Sep/11 6:11pm

Start by targeting your ads, I note you had not added this to a channel..
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 29/Sep/11 10:39pm

google ads with specific messages so you don't waste click through work better than small paper ads in my experience. Link into Facebook for a web presence.

Look at creating a product for a dailydeal? - works great and is a good kickstart BUT be sure to have your capacity and set up pretty finetuned before you run the promo. Good exposure to a massive database (non-buyers see your impression) and chance of making some money and repeat business...but gotta be prepared.

When talking to the middlemen make sure you cap the limit where you are comfy. e.g if you can only do 10 a week, cap it at 120-150 sold etc etc (If you sell 100 typically 20-30%+ wont take it up if it's a small ticket). Not for every business though & be careful the offer is easily understood by a thicko and has a chance for generating addons
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby keltravers on Thu 29/Sep/11 11:24pm

We spend a lot of money on google ads and facebook ads.

They work and can target very specific parts of the market but for your business not sure. We advertise products and brands.

My mates that are tradies get most of their work from Suburban classified listings. They still work very well and are cost effective
keltravers
"Dodgy boats and dodgy lights"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 29/Sep/11 11:53pm

Where are your customers? I know you said mechanical/ electrical but is this something specific where there would be forums, or websites that you could specifically target?
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 30/Sep/11 7:56am

keltravers wrote:We spend a lot of money on google ads and facebook ads.

They work and can target very specific parts of the market but for your business not sure. We advertise products and brands.

My mates that are tradies get most of their work from Suburban classified listings. They still work very well and are cost effective

Re the Suburban classified listings a chap who I knew who is a business advisor said that these are still very worthwhile. I know I need to spend $ on advertising but it one of those - when I'm making more...I'll spend more :blush:
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby ThingOne on Fri 30/Sep/11 7:58am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
keltravers wrote:We spend a lot of money on google ads and facebook ads.

Re the Suburban classified listings a chap who I knew who is a business advisor said that these are still very worthwhile. I know I need to spend $ on advertising but it one of those - when I'm making more...I'll spend more :blush:

Spending $$ on adverts is hard sometimes as no instant return on investment, we have similar dramas with my wifes business, but its neccessary.

or you could do a free VORB plug like this.

Visit here, for great womens accessories and fashion advice...

http://www.wardrobeflair.com
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 30/Sep/11 8:25am

:D

and if your neck gets sore looking at that website visit this one

www.revivemassage.net.nz

:paranoid:
cruiser

Postby Luke__ on Fri 30/Sep/11 9:04am

There are heaps of articles and advice on http://www.business.govt.nz - good luck!
Luke__
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 1/Oct/11 7:10am

cruiser wrote::D

http://www.revivemassage.net.nz

LOL, pay your ISP :lol:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 1/Oct/11 9:25am

Spokes wrote:
cruiser wrote::D

http://www.revivemassage.net.nz

LOL, pay your ISP :lol:

yeah that got noticed last night when email password was failing :blush: Account renewal emails have been going to a paradise email addy which died when paradise did. garrr!! :D
cruiser

Postby northernmonkey on Sat 1/Oct/11 1:42pm

Good old yellow pages on the interweb... thats usually my first stop when I want a tradie and don't know anyone.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Tramping - Latest Posts