Re: Rwc

Postby Conners on Tue 25/Oct/11 11:00am

CrustyMTB wrote:Now we've got the monkey off our collective back we can go back to back in Londres!!!!

Motivation for four years time, first team back to back plus first in the race to three titles :thumbsup:

Man, 20 years is a long time.....
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Tue 25/Oct/11 11:20am

going to be a interesting couple of years, with some experienced players leaving the squad.. and probably a question mark on whether or not McCaw can go till next cup with any resemblance of form.

but awsome thing about NZ rugby, is the ability to churn out quality players.. i remember a couple of years ago when Locks where the issue, same with wingers.. now we have an embarrasment of talent. Not sure nonu will stay around till next world cup, and there is a lack at 12.. same with Conrad Smith. Hopefully Cruden kicks on to seriously push Carter for the 10 jersey
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby BikeKiller on Tue 25/Oct/11 6:00pm

brian245 wrote:
BikeKiller wrote:I'ma give up watching this sport. My nerves are shot, my fingernails are bitten to nothing, My teeth are fully gnashed. I can't take much more. But we did it.

The recession shows no sign of abating. But we got the cup.

There's a ship spilling oil all over our coastline. BUT WE GOT THE CUP.

I'm a senile old git, who can't ride a bike very well. BUT! WE! GOT! THE! CUP!

Lord take me now, for my life is complete.

If something this trivial makes your life complete you may as well go and top yourself now rather than waiting for divine intervention

Ever heard of the concept of exaggeration and overstatement for comic effect, champ?
Still stoked though........
BikeKiller
"Hurro"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:16am

Well I haven't followed the RWC apart from delayed coverage of highlights. This isn't without trying here in Finland. It is like you trying to watch an Ice hockey match. The Aussie Bar (owned by a kiwi) only had a crappy download and charged €10 entry in a bar with no alc due to the opening hours.
So I thought I would save it all up for the final and got a friend who had satelite link to the NZ broadcast - 2 hours drive away.

Well what a mess. 1 try from prop in a set piece. NZ although physical were technically a bit 3rd rate. The French played a much better game, they were unlucky not to win.
The main focus seems to be the alledged eye gouging, a pap getting spat on, the fine of haka etiquete. Dan carter making it back to Chch.

I would be more worried by the 87 minutes of shit rugby that was played. :eh:
Fraser
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Joel on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:07am

AB's played the final the weekend before against Australia, always going to be a struggle to match that intensity a second week running. I am more impressed that the AB's managed to get the win despite playing fairly poorly by their standards, against a french side in full song (happens once every 4 years). Couple of years ago the Ab's bottled it against a similar french effort. but they kept their composure and focused on defence.

personally i don't care how they won. they won. the obsession about winning with fluid running rugby is great, but pragmatically there are times when it resorts to trench warfare.

i agree with a lot of the media opinion on the matter, best side on the nite did not win.. but the best side in the tournament did.

and it could be argued that the french where far from the best side in their semi against wales.!
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:11am

It wasn't running rugby, but I think it was a long way from being shit rugby. I disagree the French played a better game too - they certainly fronted up and rattled the ABs off their game, and their tight five seemed to have the wood on us, but their attack was entirely ad hoc and their game seemed to rely just on bashing NZ into the paddock. Clearly that wasn't enough of a plan.
SAM_3377.jpg
Oli
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:25am

Aaahhh they typical kiwi response - now that we've won, we didn't win well enough :rolleyes:

Murray Mexted (at the beginning of the tournament) wrote:It's a shame that the team who wins the RWC may not have played the most glamorous rugby.

I rolled my eyes at this at the time, and still do now.
Agree completely with Joel, sometimes it becomes trench warfare - and in a RWC final, all you have to do it win. We did that by having one more point on the board. End of story.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Oct/11 4:20pm

:)
IMG_9568.jpg
IMG_9579.jpg
IMG_9592.jpg
IMG_9594.jpg
IMG_9597.jpg
IMG_9599.jpg
IMG_9601.jpg
IMG_9602.jpg
IMG_9611.jpg
IMG_9617.jpg
IMG_9619.jpg
IMG_9627.jpg
IMG_9629.jpg
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby BikeKiller on Tue 13/Mar/12 10:34pm

Couldn't be bothered starting a new thread so resurrected this one.

RIP Jock Hobbs. Lost the fight against the big C today. Adds another dimension to the world cup win - great that he managed to see us win one (the one he won the hosting rights to) before he shuffled off. Great contributor to the game.

:( :(
BikeKiller
"Hurro"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Africa | Bicycle Repair | British Isles | Cycling | England | Europe | Multisport | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts