Finished Ss Build

Postby MuayThaiOnABike on Mon 8/Aug/11 10:13pm

DSCF8042.jpg
DSCF8052.jpg
DSCF8040.jpg
DSCF8069.JPG
G0.jpg
Last edited by MuayThaiOnABike on Thu 25/Oct/12 9:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
MuayThaiOnABike
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Finished My First Ss Build, Now Onto The Next...

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 8/Aug/11 10:30pm

Brilliant, well done :thumbsup:
I like the Gulf racing colours especially :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby jimzenglish on Thu 18/Aug/11 7:46pm

Awesome build the colour combo looks great.
jimzenglish
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Thu 18/Aug/11 8:30pm

That's awesome!
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 19/Aug/11 1:32am

Touring frames are rare, and it seems unlikely they will ever again be sold at a price most people can afford.
Your one possibly had 8/9/10 speed rear spacing so was particularly useful. Can't you just paint the derailleur hanger black or something instead of chopping it off?
It is possible to use clamps to mount fenders and even carriers but the original braze-ons are stronger, more rigid and more reliable.

I reckon there is going to be a holocaust of steel frames in a few years when the paint is no longer shiny and the quality of antirust preparation starts to show. The ones with lugs cut off will be first to go to the tip, and the really high quality frames will go too since many people won't recogise them after a repaint.

Frames from the early eighties and before often didn't have shifter bosses or a RD cable stop brazed on. The cheaper ones didn't have a derailleur hanger so are particularly easy to work on. And respacing carbon steel rear forks is a breeze, I have done it with just a hunk of 3x2, some straight string and a big adjustable spanner to bend the dropouts. :)
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 19/Aug/11 1:10pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Touring frames are rare, and it seems unlikely they will ever again be sold at a price most people can afford.
Your one possibly had 8/9/10 speed rear spacing so was particularly useful. Can't you just paint the derailleur hanger black or something instead of chopping it off?
It is possible to use clamps to mount fenders and even carriers but the original braze-ons are stronger, more rigid and more reliable.

I reckon there is going to be a holocaust of steel frames in a few years when the paint is no longer shiny and the quality of antirust preparation starts to show. The ones with lugs cut off will be first to go to the tip, and the really high quality frames will go too since many people won't recogise them after a repaint.

Frames from the early eighties and before often didn't have shifter bosses or a RD cable stop brazed on. The cheaper ones didn't have a derailleur hanger so are particularly easy to work on. And respacing carbon steel rear forks is a breeze, I have done it with just a hunk of 3x2, some straight string and a big adjustable spanner to bend the dropouts. :)

I cut off the cable guide bosses and derailleur cable guides on my SS but I kept the derailleur hanger – just in case, especially if I’d had to use a tensioner.
I just looks so nice not to see unused fixtures sticking out :)
It’s not a special frame apart from to me.

I’m doing another SS and did the same – cut / grind etc. It’s a very low spec frame so I don’t think it matters.

Sadly I think you’re right re quality frames in the future :( There will be ones that fixies riders have had with the braze ons cut off that will go to the scrappies and same with some of the repainted / non decaled ones. People won’t think to check out frame numbers. Also with the Fixie movement on the wane who’s going to want them :ib:
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby MuayThaiOnABike on Fri 19/Aug/11 8:04pm

Uh oh, I actually chopped the rear mech-mount after I painted it...it obscured part of the chain which annoyed me, so it had to go
I've left the front rack mounts though as I might use them one day for a mod idea I've got in my head

Here's a clearer pic
Gulf-Avanti.jpg
MuayThaiOnABike

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 20/Aug/11 1:26am

I see what you mean, it is a pretty special looking bike now. And after viewing the Danny Macaskill video "Industrial Revolutions" I suddenly like your colours. :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/ShbC5yVqOdI
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 20/Aug/11 7:07am

GT40
250px-GT40_at_Goodwood.jpg
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 20/Aug/11 4:58pm

Thanks for that, my car racing education is sadly lacking. Wouldn't know a Ford from a Lotus.

Front guard lug mod has already been done:

lapeoria-1900 web.jpg
La Peoria ad from 1900
Simonius_Titius

Postby MuayThaiOnABike on Sat 20/Aug/11 11:12pm

Oh, how did you know?

That's not far off my idea of small canards on the trailing edges of the forks...forget that then

...and I'm more partial to the Porsche 917
steve-mcqueen-gulf-porsche-le-mans2.jpg
Steve McQueen, Porsche 917, Le Mans. Great actor + great car + great circuit = rubbish movie
1969_Porsche_917_K_Gulf_2_by_Partywave.jpg
Porsche 917
MuayThaiOnABike

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 20/Aug/11 11:26pm

Mmmm, that's nice.

Just a wild guess, but were Gulf drivers respected less for winning Le Mans in the late 1960s than for being able to wrestle Fords around corners to do it?
Simonius_Titius

Postby its that guy on Sat 20/Aug/11 11:45pm

MuayThaiOnABike wrote:Here's a clearer pic

Ace.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby ChumlyPogward on Sun 21/Aug/11 10:27pm

This has made me think, as I just bought an old but nicely detailed tarini tange 2 frame, I intend to build a SS out of it and remove all the unnecessary bits - but now I feel slightly guilty about it...

But hey it only cost a tenner so sods to it.
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts