Re: Osama Bin Laden Dead

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 6/May/11 12:16pm

sifter wrote:Any thoughts about what might have happened if Obama phoned up the Pakis, and said, we're certain bin Laden is living *here* (points). You've got 24 hours to put a cap in his ass or we're gonna do it.

The Paks (or at least one of them) gets on the phone to Bin Laden, and he's gone.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Fri 6/May/11 12:17pm

sifter wrote:Any thoughts about what might have happened if Obama phoned up the Pakis, and said, we're certain bin Laden is living *here* (points). You've got 24 hours to put a cap in his ass or we're gonna do it.
yep, two schools of thought.

1) paki's activley knew he was there and were protecting him.
2) governemtn knew nothing, but local ranking sections of the military were sympathetic to his cause.

in case 1 - the gvt would order the hit, after giving osama 12 hour notice of intention to inspect property he was renting.
in case 2 - the gvt order the hit, and the military gives osama 24 hours notice, and a lift across the boarder.

of course, some people also think that the Pakistani gvt was complying fully in the hunt to find osama, but seriously? not many people think that.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby EoinC on Fri 6/May/11 12:20pm

kona.stinky. wrote:
EoinC wrote:
kona.stinky. wrote:He was a freedom fighter in the 80's when he was fighting with the Mujahideen.
Congratulations, KS. You are correct.

I CAN HAZ CERTIFICATE ?
I was going to say that you could bask in glory until your next post but, since you have subsequently posted, that offer has expired by default.
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Fri 6/May/11 1:06pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

The Paks (or at least one of them) gets on the phone to Bin Laden, and he's gone.

Perhaps.

I suppose I could do my own homework, but have the Pakistanis kicked up a stink about the invasion? And, would they have cared more about protecting one man than protecting "diplomatic" relations with the US?
sifter
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 6/May/11 1:12pm

sifter wrote:I suppose I could do my own homework, but have the Pakistanis kicked up a stink about the invasion? And, would they have cared more about protecting one man than protecting "diplomatic" relations with the US?

I think originally they had tried to imply as though they were in on it all along, given the embarrassment for them of appearing to have harboured bin Laden. But now that the US have denied this Pakistan are making noises about how unimpressed they are. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le2012049/
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/May/11 2:41pm

sifter wrote:I couldn't really care less about bin Laden's death. I think I'd probably prefer he be punished for his crimes than a sweet double-tap to the head.

But, I'm terribly uneasy about members of one country's armed forces invading another country, unbeknownst to the host nation, and executing a person who's not a citizen of the invading country.

Imagine the Chinese flying into the US and shooting an unarmed Mexican without permission from the Yanks... I don't believe the Americans should be able to be a law unto themselves.

1) It's clear that Pakistan were pretty fucking useless. bin Laden spent ~5 years living a stones throw away from their best and brightest military minds. At best, they're inept. At worst, some Pakis were colluding with al Qaeda to keep bin Laden safe.
2) 'Merica tried the "Hand him over, bastards!" approach before with another of the 'Stans about ten years back. Didn't end up going so well.
3) What's the point in having stealth helicopters and super skilled badasses if you're not going to use the stealth helicopters to fly right up next to another countries military stronghold without their knowing, deploy 24 badasses to kick some epic ass, then 40 minutes later fly away again unharmed whilst the host nation's military fumbles about trying to so something about it?
4) Paki can't kick up much of a stink - they need US aid to keep their military afloat, and if they don't do that India will pwn them up the asshole.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 6/May/11 2:45pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

That's not really plausible, the pakis would know America was watching every move. What is more plausible is an arrest and pakistan not handing him over.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/May/11 2:50pm

nostromo wrote:That's not really plausible, the pakis would know America was watching every move.

Why? It would be impossible to monitor every single communication in any country, especially as communications would often be coded. Eg, a military dude in Pakistan could have a prepaid cellphone with a number to another prepaid cellphone held by someone at the bin Laden compound. A phonecall in which the military guy says "My word Abdullah, I saw your wife in a beautiful burkha today!" could mean "get bin Laden the fuck outta there". There's probably a billion other ways that bin Laden could have been alerted to danger without America being able to figure out how.
happybaboon

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 6/May/11 2:52pm

I like this a lot.
fishfood.jpg
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Fri 6/May/11 2:54pm

nostromo wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

That's not really plausible, the pakis would know America was watching every move. What is more plausible is an arrest and pakistan not handing him over.

I think it's totally plausible. "Whoops, we had him but he got away..." is the phrase that springs to mind.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/May/11 2:54pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:I like this a lot.

*giggle*
happybaboon

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 6/May/11 2:55pm

EoinC wrote:
kona.stinky. wrote:
EoinC wrote:
kona.stinky. wrote:He was a freedom fighter in the 80's when he was fighting with the Mujahideen.
Congratulations, KS. You are correct.

I CAN HAZ CERTIFICATE ?
I was going to say that you could bask in glory until your next post but, since you have subsequently posted, that offer has expired by default.

If you are a Russian Mum whose son was killed by him in the '80s when they kicked Russki arse, he was a terroir-ist even then
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/May/11 3:04pm

Just a reminder that I'm mostly a whinging liberal....

I think it could only be a good thing for the Government to open up about whether or not people who have been captured by our forces have subsequently been handed over to people who've tortured them. So, like, sign this petition.
http://www.amnesty.org.nz/get-involved/ ... ons-030511
happybaboon

Postby Oli on Fri 6/May/11 3:10pm

A whinging liberal who doesn't approve of torture but supports summary executions. Hmmm. :blink:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Fri 6/May/11 3:12pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:I like this a lot.

:lol:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts