Neck Braces?...leatt, Alpinestars,evs...???

Postby mitch7 on Thu 14/Apr/11 1:02am

Hi all...
looking at getting a neck brace in the near future.
I had a big off recently and broke my collarbone, and it just as likely could have been my neck.
A few of my mates have Leatt braces, but i was wondering what others thought of the other brands???

Also...what armour works well with the braces...a mates RockGarden armour seems best so far..

Let me know what you think.. :eh:

Cheers :)
Last edited by mitch7 on Thu 14/Apr/11 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Neck Braces?...leatt, Alpinestars,evs...???

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 14/Apr/11 6:41am

I'm running a Leatt, its been fine. THe other one that really interested me (but wasn't easily avaialble here at the time) is the Alpinestars, as it looks to be a little less intusive than the Leatt

I'm not sure about armour with them, as I've not seen anyone up here rolling a brace and armour. I know that it will fit, but couldn't suggest any brands to try
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby NickCW on Thu 14/Apr/11 7:38am

I've seen one guy on the shuttle running body armor under a brace, from memory he had one of those 661 pressure suits.
The Evo is thinner than most, could be worth a look but will probably be quite spendy
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby cmdr_keen on Thu 14/Apr/11 10:11am

Leatt seems the go judging by number of people running them now, Im loving mine.
Alpinestars looks distinctly like a toilet seat IMO but if you can get one to try on I certainly would.
cmdr_keen
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby mitch7 on Thu 14/Apr/11 4:04pm

yeah..Leatt does seem to have the market share in Mtbing...
but i have read a few MX online mags with forums and reviews of the others...EVS and Alpinestars...which seem to have good feedback as well...

kinda hoping someone who has one of these brands could give me their opinion...pros and cons... :)
as far as looks go..the all look like a toilet seat around the neck to me...but if it stops you being a paraplegic ...who gives a shit?
mitch7

Postby Cabin on Thu 14/Apr/11 5:33pm

Do you have any preference for the style of armour you are wearing?

Only ask as Leatt has released its own chest protector (primarily for Moto use) that is pretty comfortable and has a couple of removeable panels designed to mesh with the Leatt neck brace. Nicely engineerd to give a good interface between brace/chect protector.

I have the combo... however mine was purchased for Moto use so can't comment on DH suitability.
Cabin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby mitch7 on Fri 15/Apr/11 12:27am

Cabin wrote:Do you have any preference for the style of armour you are wearing?

Only ask as Leatt has released its own chest protector (primarily for Moto use) that is pretty comfortable and has a couple of removeable panels designed to mesh with the Leatt neck brace. Nicely engineerd to give a good interface between brace/chect protector.

I have the combo... however mine was purchased for Moto use so can't comment on DH suitability.

Thanks Cabin...i wasn't intending on wearing a Roost MX style protector...i currently have a 661 pressure suit. but there seems to be compatibility issues with Leatt (and probably other Braces)..maybe not with 661 Evo suits tho.
A mate of mine checked out on some online forums and the Rockgarden Trailstar Chest Protector
http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-armor/trailstar-detail.htm?1=1&menu=1
works fine with the Leatt braces...it has plenty of room down the back for the rear stabilizer... :thumbsup:

i do realize a lot of riders don't bother with the body armor and just ride with neck braces, but to be honest, i'm too old for hurting myself, work and family commitments (blah blah blah)..
the one and only time i rode without my pressure suit...i bust up my collar-bone :crazy: ...lesson learned
mitch7

Postby kavika on Sat 16/Apr/11 8:05am

You looking at the full suit or just chest/back protection with seperate elbow guards? The Core saver with the removable spine panels works well.
kavika
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Jono on Sat 16/Apr/11 9:32am

I've got a Leatt DBX, which I've worn with my POC armour with good results. Basically you're supposed to get the rear leatt support to go down your back under the armour. This means that you don't wear the straps on the leatt, but I've found that with the armour on it doesn't move anyway.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby mitch7 on Sat 16/Apr/11 11:02am

Kavika...i'm not fussed either way about whether body armour has elbow protection or not...can always add them later..I'll probably end up getting that Rockgarden gear anyway...mate reckons its real comfey :thumbsup: ...

Incidently...no-one wants to sell a Leatt Brace...medium ??? :)

let me know
mitch7

Postby On1yOnCCe on Sat 16/Apr/11 6:24pm

661 Pressure suiut deffinatly works with a Leatt Brace.
On1yOnCCe
"Ride hard, then some more"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby GloryDH0 on Fri 22/Apr/11 11:02pm

The Thor Sentinal Roost Guards are designed to be used with Leatts. Mainly for moto but I have seen a lot of dh'ers running them.
GloryDH0
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby mitch7 on Mon 25/Apr/11 4:40pm

GloryDH0 wrote:The Thor Sentinal Roost Guards are designed to be used with Leatts. Mainly for moto but I have seen a lot of dh'ers running them.

cheers :)
mitch7

Postby mitch7 on Mon 25/Apr/11 4:41pm

I've bought a Leatt DBX Comp... :thumbsup:
mitch7

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts