Easy Taupo Riding Advice Needed.

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 8/Apr/11 1:33pm

Yo - Easter is coming and we are making a trip North and have decided to stay in Taupo for a night on the way.

I am keen to take my wife out for a ride around Taupo and had initially thought she would be okay with Spa Park through to Aratiatia Dam and back. Then I was thinking... what about W2K? what about Whirinaki (a slight detour on the way to Mount Maunganui).

I can see they are graded about the same as what the Kennett Bros have, but was wondering if anyone had more insight to what the tracks are like. I think Kate will be okay with Spa Park through to Aratiatia as there are no steep hills, and the tracks are pretty wide, and not too tight. She will find it far from easy though. She tends to not like downhills, regardless of length, but her fitness is not too bad.

Any insights to the difficulties and comparative tracks for W2K and Whirinaki? Any other recommendations.

Cheers y'all.
Pete
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Easy Taupo Riding Advice Needed.

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Fri 8/Apr/11 1:54pm

From memory*, W2K was pretty comfortable... no nasty long ups or downs. There's an 'optional extra' piece that you might want to leave out, though. Not sure what it's like when wet, though, if that's likely to worry Kate?

Have you considered a cruise around the lower tracks at Craters?

*my memory is not the greatest!! :blush:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 8/Apr/11 1:57pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:Have you considered a cruise around the lower tracks at Craters?

I hadn't, mainly because my memory is that while they are flat, there were a few rough bits and bumps in it (like tree roots and a few 'steps")
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby mudguard on Fri 8/Apr/11 3:23pm

Craters is pretty good, not that technical. My ex loved the downhill actually, it's pretty mellow, you can go as fast or as slow as you want with plenty of space to pull over and relax.
mudguard
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Fri 8/Apr/11 3:44pm

way_downsouth wrote:
Scaredy_Cat wrote:Have you considered a cruise around the lower tracks at Craters?

I hadn't, mainly because my memory is that while they are flat, there were a few rough bits and bumps in it (like tree roots and a few 'steps")

Which local trails is Kate happy riding? As mudguard says, there is a quite mellow loop... I think it's Tourist Trap, Tank-stand, Roller Coaster.
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby NickCW on Fri 8/Apr/11 3:45pm

W2K is pretty mellow, done it a few times with my partner and she loves it.
Nice and flowy, nothing hair raising, some sections are a whole lotta fun at speed. The views over the lake to ruapehu etc are pretty spectacular, as is the bush surrounding.
I found it memorable, rad bombs into the lake afterwards is a bonus too
NickCW
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Fri 8/Apr/11 3:47pm

way_downsouth wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you meant by this statement ie it will to boring cos its flat or the roots and steps will be to hard ?

Spa park to Huka falls....is quite big for the first section IMHO in both climbing and desending

have a look at this video at 5-7mins and 8:50- 10:15mins

http://www.biketaupo.org.nz/content/view/549/144/
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 8/Apr/11 3:52pm

I rode the tourist trap a few years ago and remember it having quite a few tree roots/steps that were plenty of fun for me, but I don't think Kate did.

Locally, Kate is comfortably with the Hutt River Trail and I think she would get most of the way up Koru now. I doubt she would like Lazy Fern.

She is going okay around The Dipper in Rotorua (and enjoys it). At Naseby she was loving the water races, enjoyed most of the (old) 12 hour course, with the exception of getting to Hoffman's dam (the lake), and a couple of the descents. Sher also enjoyed the Bikini trail at Naseby (runs from the water race, to a road near the pub - with a little forward at the bottom).
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby ryda on Fri 8/Apr/11 4:00pm

Huka falls to the aratiatia(sp) dam would be ok mostly but prolly wouldn't do from spa park down

IMHO tourist trap is prolly your best bet,
maybe add in the bottom of Corkscrew I think it is called, the bit on the other side of the carpark to tourist trap but it is a bit rougher than tourist trap
you could do a lap or 2 of the DNT course
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Colin on Fri 8/Apr/11 4:07pm

I rate W2K.

Wide and flowy. Seems to be the sort of track anyone can have fun on. Just keep adding speed until you've reached or exceeded your comfort / fun level.

Nice day and you can have a dip in the lake after.

I feel it is more suitable than Whirinaki. Although I think that would be a grand choice too.
Colin
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 8/Apr/11 5:59pm

W2K is sounding like the go.

From my memory (and it was a few years ago), I don't know that she will like Tourist trap. From Taupo through to Aratiatia was like the 12 hour course, until Huka Falls, then it was a 4wd track. But maybe I am forgetting the good stuff, or was riding in the wrong spot!
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby kona.stinky. on Fri 8/Apr/11 6:08pm

Didn't read the don't like downhill part...
Last edited by kona.stinky. on Fri 8/Apr/11 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 8/Apr/11 7:11pm

kona.stinky. wrote:Maybe
Tank Stand > Ge grinder > Buzzard > Young Buzzard > Incline > Coaster ?

NO!, read what the original poster is after
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby XCrazy on Fri 8/Apr/11 7:27pm

I would vote for W2K.

I think it will be technically easier ride than Spa Park and more enjoyable for all.There is quite a lot of climbing in it but its all at a nice gradient from memory. I don't think there is any tricky bits but sometimes you forget whats easy for you can be hard for others. Bonus with W2K is it scales really nicely with speed, you can absolutely pin it if you wish and have fun but its just as easy to dawdle along.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby jacks0n0 on Fri 8/Apr/11 7:31pm

I've done W2K with a complete beginner (i.e. never been on a mountain bike before), and a fairly timid one at that, and they really enjoyed it. They did find it a bit long going all the way there and back as we were out for about 5 hours at beginner group speed. Perhaps the best solution would be for you both to ride to Kinloch, then for Kate to sit in a cafe while you blast back to the car and drive round to pick her up.
jacks0n0
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Taupo | Taupo Region - Latest Posts