Phones And Driving?

Postby Trail on Tue 15/Mar/11 6:14pm

So I had a bit of a squeeze and some emergency braking that I had to do on my commute home today. Both times (2 separate cars) the driver was talking into a hand held phone...

So have drivers now forgotten that it is against the law, or is this just happening in Chch where there is an "emergency situation" and lots of traffic which means that some arrogant people think they have the right to talk on their handheld phones while driving again?? One guys was in a red car that was sign written with SFWU and looked as if he could not work out why I was giving him the evil eye as I passed him.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Phones And Driving?

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 15/Mar/11 6:32pm

One of those somewhat pointless laws that is probably rarely enforced - though in Chch with the relatively high numbers of Police on the road the odds of getting stung have gone up a bit - and behaviour won't change until everyone at the pub / bar / cafe / dinner party / BBQ starts talking about having been busted and stung a hefty fine. Only when peeples get the feeling they stand a good chance of being busted will they change their behaviour.

Oh - an afterthought - how do you know they are arrogant ?? :p
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 15/Mar/11 6:37pm

Yeah I've had more close calls from idiot drivers in the last 3 weeks than I have in the previous 6+ months :hmmm:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Tue 15/Mar/11 6:41pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:Oh - an afterthought - how do you know they are arrogant ?? :p

They figure that they are more important than the law as they have to answer that phone call, and they believe they have the ability to drive safely while talking on the phone.

ar·ro·gant/ˈarəgənt/
Adjective: Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities
Trail

Postby Trail on Tue 15/Mar/11 6:47pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:One of those somewhat pointless laws

By the way, what makes you think the law is pointless? I thought the whole reason they put the law in place is that it was shown that drivers talking on cell phones were more likely to cause accidents?? Why are there currently ads on the TV about not talking to people on the phone in the car if the law is pointless?
Trail

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 15/Mar/11 7:21pm

A few years ago a guy drove through a crossing as I was going on to it :hmmm: I caught up with him as he was stopped at the lights and gave the roof of his car a flat handed slap.

It was very loud :thumbsup:

What was also loud is the expletive he issued as he still had his cellphone up to his ear.
I felt for the recipient :(
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 15/Mar/11 8:00pm

Trail wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:One of those somewhat pointless laws

By the way, what makes you think the law is pointless? I thought the whole reason they put the law in place is that it was shown that drivers talking on cell phones were more likely to cause accidents?? Why are there currently ads on the TV about not talking to people on the phone in the car if the law is pointless?

poor choice of words on my part - yes there is reason to the law (driving whilst using a hand held cell ph - most especially in my view txting - is dangerous) but I believe it is a bit of a waste of time making laws that either don't get enforced rigorously, and/or are so toothless that otherwise predominantly law-abiding peeple have the perception that it's worth the risk to flout the particular law.

I don't agree with the behaviour, or the apparent arrogance, and you have my sympathy at being carved up by the s.o.b's - just trying to understand (or speculate) as to why it occurs ...
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Tue 15/Mar/11 8:02pm

I'm amazed at how often I see it happening in Wellington. So, not just Chch...
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Tue 15/Mar/11 8:39pm

Saw an item the other day say Chch motorists shouldn't think police were too busy doing busy stuff to enforce traffic laws

They had noticed increase in speeding, failure to stop @ red lights / stop signs and cell phone use while driving.

Article said people shouldn't think police were taking a relaxed attitude and that they were going to starting frying some arse.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Tue 15/Mar/11 9:25pm

Pretty common in Palmy too.
I saw a guy wobbling down the highway on his MTB today texting with cars coming by at 100 :blink:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 15/Mar/11 9:33pm

Colin wrote:Saw an item the other day say Chch motorists shouldn't think police were too busy doing busy stuff to enforce traffic laws

They had noticed increase in speeding, failure to stop @ red lights / stop signs and cell phone use while driving.

Article said people shouldn't think police were taking a relaxed attitude and that they were going to starting frying some arse.

Red light running is well absurd at he moment. Tonight I was roughly beside a car when a light a fair distance away went orange so I just started to coast down, they accelerated hard and entered the intersection when it was already red :eh: . No traffic around nice long bit of road (blenheim road going south by maptio street for the chch people)
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby xcwander on Wed 16/Mar/11 4:05pm

Well its being enforced in Auckland having walked past a very heated discussion between a motorist and an office at lunch time.

And being on the phone while at stopped at a red light, is not an excuse it seams....
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby R+P+K on Wed 16/Mar/11 5:38pm

Simple fact is that a portion of drivers are just arrogant people who have a disdain for rules they think apply to other people.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Wed 16/Mar/11 5:58pm

Yup, there will always be a portion of drivers that think they are above the law, it just seems to have been happening more to me more recently. Could just be that there are more cars on the roads that are open in Chch and so I am seeing more of the idiots through the sheer numbers of cars...

Got squeezed by a txter tonight, he was all over the road as if he had been drinking!!! :hmmm:
Trail

Postby hpg on Wed 16/Mar/11 7:24pm

The driving in Christchurch has become quite feral but I would like to think it is settling down a bit. For a time there we all had this NATIONAL EMERGENCY to attend to. Cell phone use while driving became mandatory, especially if wearing hi vis. I have told our guys to be carefull out there, obey the road rules and don't do dumb ass stuff. I am commuting on my MTB rather then the roadie. Feels a bit more robust.
hpg
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts