Riding Around Oamaru?

Postby Nick_K on Sat 12/Mar/11 4:07pm

Yo. Down in Oamaru for the weekend to escape the quakes and would love to go for a skid. I chucked my bike in the car but forgot my copy of Kennetts. I vaguely remember there being some tracks around Waimate but otherwise have no idea whats around

Any info appreciated.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Riding Around Oamaru?

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Sat 12/Mar/11 4:15pm

go up the lookout point from the old part of town, then go exploring down the hills to the right. lookout point is off the top of tyne st from the old part of town.
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Sat 12/Mar/11 4:17pm

I've heard about tracks in the forest(s) above town - don't have any details soz, but explore and/or ask a local and you should come up with somit.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Nick_K on Sat 12/Mar/11 4:19pm

Cheers DickNaughty. Anything else in the region worth checking out for a bit of jeyboi action

Doesn't need to be in Oamaru itself.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 12/Mar/11 6:05pm

white horse ride out of waimate. pretty fun wee track. you'll enjoy it.

end of Point Bush Rd
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby lonewheel on Tue 15/Mar/11 11:37am

Go south to Herbet Forest. I used to do a lot of miles on the forestry tracks in there in the late 80's.
Also, some interesting views from off the gravel roads (can be boring riding unless you're enjoying the up hill challenge) in the back of Oamaru, onto the kakanui Range etc.

Oamaru back roads are the finest road cycling I've found in NZ. So many isolated and interesting sealed roads. I once cycled for 2 hours on sealed roads without seeing a single car in the 80's. Oamaru, George Town, Duntroon, then in over the back through Enfield - Weston...that loop is a lovely 80KM. Flat to start with rolling hills in the middle and a few bumps towards the end.
lonewheel
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Oamaru | Regions | South Canterbury - Latest Posts