Which Centre should get the Cycling Centre of Excellence?

Auckland
27%
Palmerston north
28%
Waikato/Bay of Plenty
23%
I don't care
23%

Total voters : 71

Cycling Centre Of Excellence

Postby thekiwi on Thu 10/Mar/11 3:58pm

Form the list of 7 (Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Taupo, Hawke's Bay, Wanganui, Palmerston North and Christchurch) SPARC have reduced it to shortlist of 3 - Auckland, Palmerston North and Waikato/Bay of Plenty

http://www.voxy.co.nz/sport/three-bids- ... ce/5/85150
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Cycling Centre Of Excellence

Postby Joel on Thu 10/Mar/11 4:27pm

i would wager a trim flat white that Auckland will get it, due to population proximity.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby OneKC on Thu 10/Mar/11 4:34pm

I wouldn't give it to Palmy. Too many muppets here who do not give a flying rat's fuck about cyclists. We have a council that designs poor road layouts, construction companies that place traffic warning signs in cyclists lanes, drivers who are too lazy or blind to see or look for cyclists and a numb arse population of vodka cruiser/bourbon cola swilling red necks.

They only want the potential of the dollar it might bring.

Why bring quality cyclists here to get mown over when training on the road?
OneKC
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Maxine on Thu 10/Mar/11 5:07pm

OneKC wrote:I wouldn't give it to Palmy. Too many muppets here who do not give a flying rat's fuck about cyclists.

What a stupid no-brains statement. Sparc obviously thought it had a great deal of merit or it wouldn't have made the short list.
Maxine
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Thu 10/Mar/11 5:10pm

Joel wrote:i would wager a trim flat white that Auckland will get it, due to population proximity.

sounds like a good excuse to get together for a coffee! I'm in :D
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 10/Mar/11 5:24pm

Maxine wrote:
OneKC wrote:I wouldn't give it to Palmy. Too many muppets here who do not give a flying rat's fuck about cyclists.

What a stupid no-brains statement. Sparc obviously thought it had a great deal of merit or it wouldn't have made the short list.

They already are $1 million up with the donation too :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 10/Mar/11 5:38pm

Set up costs are only about 10% of a sport facility - ~90% of costs are running the place (QUOTED, 2007), so that's not the issue at all.

Commercial stability will be what it boils down to and resources. North shore has a pretty impressive Millenium institute facility in the pipeline with connections to AUT and NZAS, would be easier to tap into network with resources. A shit arse place for MTB/ DH, but I reckon it's all about the 'Gold' olympic sports at moment.

Palmy and Waikato/ BOP have one huge advantage: they're not in Auckland :D and better all round access for different disciplines.

One thing in common is the Sport-focused universities...somewhere for the cyclists to study while not training along with other things?
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 10/Mar/11 5:42pm

Taupo or 'Tawpaw' as TV3 presenters say.

Close to everything up north and it looks purdy :love:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby RussS on Thu 10/Mar/11 6:04pm

I have a good idea where it may end up - just have to see if the goss is on the money.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Thu 10/Mar/11 6:38pm

cruiser wrote:Palmy and Waikato/ BOP have one huge advantage: they're not in Auckland :D and better all round access for different disciplines.

I thought Hamilton was an outer suburb of Akl?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby mikeyb on Thu 10/Mar/11 8:08pm

I'd prefer commuting in Palmy over Auckland any day, never saw the bike paths in Aucks being swept of glass etc, and drivers in general are far more considerate down here, fingers crossed for the Centre of Excellence ending up in Palmy so I can go mtb'ing on my lunch break :)
mikeyb
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 10/Mar/11 8:15pm

POLE2SWAYSPARCDECISIONPLZTHXBAY
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 10/Mar/11 8:16pm

OneKC wrote:I wouldn't give it to Palmy. Too many muppets here who do not give a flying rat's fuck about cyclists. We have a council that designs poor road layouts, construction companies that place traffic warning signs in cyclists lanes, drivers who are too lazy or blind to see or look for cyclists and a numb arse population of vodka cruiser/bourbon cola swilling red necks.

They only want the potential of the dollar it might bring.

Why bring quality cyclists here to get mown over when training on the road?

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:
Palmy roads are abysmal. The council doesn't bother to clean them, and doesn't even bother to respond when you contact them with regards to dangerous roadworks. The treatment I have recieved in Palmy from other road users is far, far worse than in Wellington. Again, council doesn't really seem interested in doing anything about it.

It should (MUST) go to a centre that takes its existing cycling population seriously, Palmy just doesn't. I'm sad (and confused) to see HB miss out. I rode around Hastings/Napier/Havelock a lot in the last couple of weeks - the streets were nigh on spotless, great cycling lanes with big signs saying "THIS SPACE IS FOR CYCLISTS, FUCK OFF OTHERS" (or something to that effect), and didn't experience any problems with drivers at all.

To give some credit where it is due, the cycling facilities at Massey are great. Heaps of good bike racks, plenty under cover, and even secure bike storage available. Good bike lanes up there too, and safe (and CLEAN) bike lanes all the way to Fitzherbert. Once they get there, cycle lanes turn to bullshit.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Thu 10/Mar/11 8:19pm

It's a Centre of EXCELLENCE, not a Centre of Moaning Commuters. ;)
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 10/Mar/11 8:29pm

Olo, why don't you tell everyone the story of the time that you were a top cyclist and you brought your fancy bicycle up Palmy ways? :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts