Question Re Spring Weight Calculators And What Spring U Got?

Postby mitch7 on Tue 8/Mar/11 9:27pm

Hi

I need a heavier spring for my DH Comp... and I've ditched the Swinger 6way and chucked in a DHX RC4...anyway
looking at a spring rate calculator(based on E2E,stroke and my weight) it says i need a 600lb spring...(came with a 500lb)

what i wondered was...have many/any of you used these calculators? and how successful has it been at picking the right spring for you??? :rolleyes:

Is the spring weight right for your set up ??? :) or did you have to get lighter (or heavier spring) ??? :angry:

A mate reckons its all about sag mainly>>>? my swinger had a 450 lb spring and seemed ok , i did have about 40% sag..although i did flog out a DU Bush, and i have heard that could be a sign of to light a spring....

ADVICE PLEASE ?
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Question Re Spring Weight Calculators And What Spring U Got?

Postby wuffy on Tue 8/Mar/11 9:32pm

I wouldn't use a calculator, it doesn't take into account frame shock rates and the likes, for instance, on a blindside I run a 500lbs spring getting 30% sag, whereas on an orange 223 a 400lbs spring was about 25% sag, it all depends what suits you and the frame.

I'd try and borrow springs/buy cheap ones to see which is perfect for you.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 8/Mar/11 9:37pm

Use a calculator then get that spring and then some +- 50 pounds from that, try them out and work from that. Its very personal preference. In reality springs are cheap compared to the cost of a dh bike, no point running something not right for the sake of ~50 clams imo.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby mitch7 on Tue 8/Mar/11 9:42pm

good advice guys...i am thinking of going lighter lb weight (than 600lbs)...
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby RussS on Wed 9/Mar/11 7:50am

Damn, I am shocked at the lack of decent advice from the vorbers here ....... everone knows you don't need no fancy calculator for suspension - just use the time honored Vorb method.

If your suspension is too soft - eat less pies ......... if your suspension is too hard - eat moar pies.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts