Waterproof Running Jacket

Postby kezza2112 on Tue 8/Feb/11 8:56am

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof running jacket?

I have a basic marmot one which I bought for $250 for Kepler while back but although its seam sealed and meant to be waterproof, it doesn't withstand being in the rain for a few hours :(

I take it Gortex is the way, but are there any good light weight ones that will bundle up into your backpack?

Is the Storm trooper any goodfrom Ground effect?

Cheers
kezza2112
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Re: Waterproof Running Jacket

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 8/Feb/11 12:33pm

ya sure its water from outside not sweat from inside??

fully waterproof and fully breathable are mutually exclusive IMO
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby jo on Tue 8/Feb/11 12:42pm

Sugoi has a marvelous one. http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/Products/R ... ite-Jacket
Not quite along the lines you're thinking tho.
For any high energy output activity. I wouldnt wear it mtbing because the fabric isnt robust enough for tears, but mintas for running and road cycling.
I bought mine from Burkes. :thumbsup:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby danose on Tue 8/Feb/11 12:48pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:fully waterproof and fully breathable are mutually exclusive IMO

:withstupid:

I've got a range of nice wp/breathable jackets - but for running I don't use any of them, just a new way to broil myself. As long as it's wind resistant I'm happy (wet but happy)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby kezza2112 on Tue 8/Feb/11 4:25pm

It probably is from sweating. So , I guess the point of having a waterproof jacket is silly really cos I'm still gonna get pretty wet. Best bet would be to wear quality merino underneath along with a good windbreaker (water resistant/proof)??

I'm just running some tracks in Fiordland and want to be prepared. Could be on tracks for up to ten hrs.
kezza2112
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby scatter on Tue 8/Feb/11 4:34pm

kezza2112 wrote:Best bet would be to wear quality merino underneath along with a good windbreaker??

Agreed.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 8/Feb/11 5:17pm

You'll only need the windbreaker if you're running on the tops... though always a good idea to take something bright and light
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 8/Feb/11 5:56pm

kezza2112 wrote:
I'm just running some tracks in Fiordland and want to be prepared. Could be on tracks for up to ten hrs.

in that case i'd go for the mucho merino as you say, but I would also take a so called good waterproof/breathable.
it can be a litle moist in those fjords!
with hood i reckon
great uncle bulgaria

Postby danose on Wed 9/Feb/11 7:34am

scatter wrote:
kezza2112 wrote:Best bet would be to wear quality merino underneath along with a good windbreaker??

Agreed.

blerk - either you people don't sweat much or don't mind running in a heavy water logged merino!!
danose

Postby scatter on Wed 9/Feb/11 8:04am

Not everyone is a human sweat fountain like you JD! :D
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 9/Feb/11 9:37am

danose wrote:
scatter wrote:

Agreed.

blerk - either you people don't sweat much or don't mind running in a heavy water logged merino!!

I sweat vast amounts but would rather rather run in soggy merino than anything else - in fjordland anyway. (although i do have a nostalgic love of stinking poly-pro :blink: )
great uncle bulgaria

Postby danose on Wed 9/Feb/11 10:27am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I sweat vast amounts but would rather rather run in soggy merino than anything else - in fjordland anyway. (although i do have a nostalgic love of stinking poly-pro :blink: )

there's heaps of better wicking insulation than polypro (or merino) nowdays. HH lifo etc etc etc

one mountaineering trip in icebreaker was enough to convince me it doesn't work for me - heavy/stretched out of shape/chafed - but like scatter says I'm like the dude on those antiperspirant ads :D
danose

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 11/Feb/11 5:18pm

kezza2112 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good waterproof running jacket?

I have a basic marmot one which I bought for $250 for Kepler while back but although its seam sealed and meant to be waterproof, it doesn't withstand being in the rain for a few hours :(

I take it Gortex is the way, but are there any good light weight ones that will bundle up into your backpack?

Is the Storm trooper any goodfrom Ground effect?

Cheers

You will struggle to get a waterproof jacket because most of the water comes from the inside....

your best bet is to strip right down carry one in ur bag and put it on when you stop

packlite is the best..
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby jeyboi on Fri 11/Feb/11 6:25pm

Mickyfinn wrote:packlite is the best..

At what?
jeyboi

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 11/Feb/11 9:39pm

its lightweight gortex.......... so ur not carry heavy kit around it still don't stop u sweating though!
Mickyfinn

Adventure Racing | Multisport - Latest Posts