Powerbands... Do they actually work?

Yes
3
4%
No
36
52%
for some people
5
7%
I like cake
25
36%
 
Total voters : 69

Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 1/Feb/11 10:56am

:eh:
kona.stinky.
User avatar
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby scatter on Tue 1/Feb/11 11:07am

LOL!
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby nzmatto on Tue 1/Feb/11 11:27am

Powerband = that sweet spot on a 2-stroke bike where sudden max acceleration is given nearly throwing you off the back of the bike right? Bloody great feeling - used to have to hang on for grim death on one of my old toys.
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby phunk on Tue 1/Feb/11 11:44am

The old placebo effect eh.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby MTBChick on Tue 1/Feb/11 11:49am

The pink ones make you go faster, the white ones make you be able to do mad hucks and the yellow ones just make you look like dick.However, the blue ones, they are the ones that make you more balanced.
MTBChick
User avatar
"Learning from the big kids"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 1/Feb/11 12:12pm

"The three-millimetre-thick silicone bands with two hologram discs - which the distributors claim are ''embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field'' - sell for $59.95 and a pendant version for $90.

Power Balance Australia has sold millions of dollars' worth of the bands since the company, based in Port Melbourne, was set up in August last year.

Mr O'Dowd, a carpenter by trade, denies the wristbands are a scam :rolleyes: , saying they come with a 30-day money-back guarantee."

More JUNK produced to clutter the environment :angry:

There is some interesting reading about them…ok it’s not interesting. They find that they’re just a silicon strap with a hologram picture stuck on it :rolleyes:

It sad how many pro cyclists have them on though. Look at recent shots of riders and you’ll see them. I have an ad. for Ciocc bikes and all but one of the 6 guys have them on.
I wonder how that team will go this year :eh:
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby jerms669 on Tue 1/Feb/11 12:26pm

There isnt any science to back these up and it is clear that any anecdotal improvements are placebo. But it does offer a way to a tap into the all powerful placebo effect, a large component of athletic performance/balance can be mental anyway so if you believe the band gives you an edge you maybe it will?
jerms669
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby danose on Tue 1/Feb/11 12:51pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Power Balance Australia has sold millions of dollars' worth of the bands since the company, based in Port Melbourne, was set up in August last year.


wonder how well they're doing new they've been ordered to refund customers because of their fraudulent claims

http://www.3news.co.nz/Australian-autho ... fault.aspx
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 1/Feb/11 12:52pm

nzmatto wrote:Powerband = that sweet spot on a 2-stroke bike where sudden max acceleration is given nearly throwing you off the back of the bike right? Bloody great feeling - used to have to hang on for grim death on one of my old toys.


TZ250 FTW
kiwi_zg
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby Ginger_Monstrosity on Tue 1/Feb/11 12:56pm

Woops, I read the question for the pole as: powerbands- stupid or not stupid; I answered yes- they are stupid. Disregard that vote please. It's ok, I have an excuse- I'm recovering from concussion...
Ginger_Monstrosity
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby tombomb600 on Tue 1/Feb/11 1:08pm

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/powerbalance.htm

The best part is they are available wholesale from the Chinese manufacturer for $1.17 and sell for $60(!!) each. I wish I had though of this scam.
tombomb600
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby Nick_K on Tue 1/Feb/11 1:14pm

danose wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Power Balance Australia has sold millions of dollars' worth of the bands since the company, based in Port Melbourne, was set up in August last year.


wonder how well they're doing new they've been ordered to refund customers because of their fraudulent claims

http://www.3news.co.nz/Australian-autho ... fault.aspx


They should make the makers of placebo pants do the same.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby nagem on Tue 1/Feb/11 1:43pm

Nick_K wrote:
danose wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Power Balance Australia has sold millions of dollars' worth of the bands since the company, based in Port Melbourne, was set up in August last year.


wonder how well they're doing new they've been ordered to refund customers because of their fraudulent claims

http://www.3news.co.nz/Australian-autho ... fault.aspx


They should make the makers of placebo pants do the same.

You just crossed the line. *stares*

Placebo pants are extremely effective.
nagem
User avatar
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Powerbands? Stoopid Or Not Stoopid?

Postby OliverBendix on Tue 1/Feb/11 1:51pm

At least placebo pants keep your legs warm and your arse covered.
OliverBendix
User avatar
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Asia | Canada | Cycling | Gardening | Mountain Biking | North America | Regions | Road Cycling | Saskatchewan | Sifting | South Korea - Latest Posts

Who is online

41 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Scotty and 36 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop

cron