Mt Grey Access...

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Jan/11 9:58am

Is it possible to drive directly to Lake Janet from the Loburn side, or do you have to approach it from Cramptons Bush Rd (the Amberly side)???
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Mt Grey Access...

Postby Trail on Thu 13/Jan/11 10:04am

As far as I know all the forestry gates on the Loburn side are locked. The main access from Amberley to Lake Janet and the DOC walks like Red Beech track appears to always be open.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Jan/11 10:08am

figured you might be the man to tell me. yeah, looking at WAMS and the topos there's only really forestry roads going in on the Loburn side...

hopefully Chris and me will mission Grey tonight!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby neels on Thu 13/Jan/11 10:10am

AFAIK the only normally open access to Mt Grey is by Cramptons Bush Rd from Amberly, there is also a gate there which is locked when the fire risk gets too high, you can call to find out if it's open or not.

Info here http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... ng-tracks/
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby tony_11 on Thu 13/Jan/11 11:35am

You can't access Mt Grey from the Loburn side unless you have a permit. The forrestry owners do have security people in there checking as there have been issues lately. The Forest owners and North Canterbury Cycling have an agreement and Ncci issue permits to members. They are pretty strict with access especially at this time of year when the fire risk is pretty high.. They issue NCCI areas where they are able to ride and out of bounds areas on a weekly basis.
tony_11
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Jan/11 12:22pm

cheers, no worries, will drive round through Sefton and Balcairn and hit up Douglas and Campton Bush Rds... dont wanna cause any trouble :paranoid:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby serkat on Thu 22/Nov/12 2:32pm

swtchbckr wrote:cheers, no worries, will drive round through Sefton and Balcairn and hit up Douglas and Campton Bush Rds... dont wanna cause any trouble :paranoid:

Hey if you and a few mates want a look in the forest (legally), us permit holders can take you in as guests. :-)
serkat
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 22/Nov/12 9:04pm

cool. We usually just ride in the DOC bits, that zig zag Mt Grey track from top to bottom is uber fun. But would be interesting in the forest. Your crew built any/much singletrack or is it all forestry trails?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby serkat on Thu 22/Nov/12 10:36pm

There's 150+k's of roads in there so theres always somewhere different to ride. We can taylor rides to suit the groups abilities, such as avoiding the steeper sections (or zooming in on them!) The only piece of single track is through the bush near where the short up and back Ashley Forest rally sprint is held, its really just a spectator accessway but hey - its fun too! We can (and do) go in there at night as well. It's a fantastic training ground, I've been going in there for years :)
serkat
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | North Canterbury | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts