Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby sifter on Wed 24/Nov/10 10:24pm

Te Tāwhio O Whanganui, literally "a tour of the Whanganui", is a four day cycle tour around the Whanganui River catchment, and is unsupported in the spirit of the Kiwi Brevet. The event starts at Moutua Gardens in Whanganui at midday on Saturday 5 February, 2011. Unlike the Kiwi Brevet, this event has compulsory overnight stops, and these are: Raetihi, Whangamomona and Patea. All participants return to Moutua Gardens on Tuesday 8 February.

Parts of the course will be compulsory, and will aim to showcase some of the best riding the region has to offer. Other sections will involve route choice, offering road or off-road options. The minimum length route will be approximately 520km. Detailed maps will be provided online for compulsory sections (see below), and suggested extensions to the loop will be made in due course. Riders will be off major roads where possible.

Day 1: Whanganui to Raetihi, via Pipiriki, 104km, including some gravel road =} google map

Day 2: Raetihi to Whangamomona, via Taumarunui. 164km via SH4 and SH43. Multiple off-road or gravel options, including Fisher's Track or the 42nd Traverse en route to Taumarunui =} google map

Day 3: Whangamomona to Patea, via Eltham. 123km via SH43 to Stratford. Off-road option to ride The Bridge to Somewhere track =} google map

Day 4: Patea to Whanganui. Some sections of SH3 will be out of bounds. Approximately 130km, including a fine gravel road detour to finish. Draft map =} here

All maps are provisional at this stage.

All riders should be self sufficient, and should plan to be at the overnight stop by sunset. There will be no support provided, and there is no entry fee. Participants can expect to share each day's riding and evenings with like-minded folk.

All participants will be encouraged to share their experience with words and/or photographs after the event. A blog will be set up for this purpose.

Please email expressions of interest to siftyjohn@gmail.com, or PM sifter. Additional information about the event will be posted in this thread and distributed via email over the coming months.
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby WayneG on Wed 24/Nov/10 10:45pm

Man I was so looking forward to this but can't do it, I'm doing the Masters Games MTB on that weekend and am than going away for a weeks holiday on the Wednesday. It sounds like a great event and the areas that I know would make for a great ride. Did you think about heading from Raetihi to Ohakune and than using the old coach road?
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Wed 24/Nov/10 11:06pm

WayneG wrote:Man I was so looking forward to this but can't do it, I'm doing the Masters Games MTB on that weekend and am than going away for a weeks holiday on the Wednesday. It sounds like a great event and the areas that I know would make for a great ride. Did you think about heading from Raetihi to Ohakune and than using the old coach road?

Sorry the date doesn't suit you.

I'd love to get across to the bottom of Fisher's Track, but there are private land issues in there. In some ways I'm keen not to be too prescriptive, so that people can sort out a route that suits them.
sifter

Postby znomit on Wed 24/Nov/10 11:10pm

A gypsy tour! :thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby BillB on Thu 25/Nov/10 1:20pm

Looks great, John.

Though I'm not sure why you think it will take 4 days, given the times that are allocated to each leg on the Google Maps links.

:crazy:
BillB
"To finish last, first you have to finish!"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby jimmi on Thu 25/Nov/10 1:56pm

Great idea sifter! As Wayne mentioned, a nice detour would be from Raetihi head towards Ohakune, turnoff at the lakes and do Ratamarie Rd to Rangautau, then Ohakune to Horopito via the Old Coach Road. I suspect you havent included this as it would make day two a pretty long day, and the trail is more suited to MTB, although I can highly recommend the above ride.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby sifter on Thu 25/Nov/10 3:04pm

jimmi wrote:Great idea sifter! As Wayne mentioned, a nice detour would be from Raetihi head towards Ohakune, turnoff at the lakes and do Ratamarie Rd to Rangautau, then Ohakune to Horopito via the Old Coach Road. I suspect you havent included this as it would make day two a pretty long day, and the trail is more suited to MTB, although I can highly recommend the above ride.

Cheers jimmi.

I hope that people will take the opportunity to choose a course that suits them distance and terrain-wise. Your suggestion sounds like a good one.

Day 2 will be a long one, especially if someone works out how to do Fishers and 42 Traverse in the "morning"! Should make for some great tall-tales around the campfire that night!
sifter

Postby Simonk on Wed 1/Dec/10 8:02pm

I went for a ride from Taumaranui to Maungaparua landing in the weekend, covering some of the same roads as the Tawhio. It was so quiet! In SH43 we counted 10 cars go passed over 20km - and this was middle of the day. And the scenery was sweet, too. I reckon we'll be in for a sweet ride in Feb
Simonk

Postby numbum on Fri 3/Dec/10 3:16pm

tempted for sure! just gotta find a creative way to get the Monday and Tuesday off. Great work on mapping out the route btw.

Pat
numbum
"work to ride"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby jacks0n0 on Fri 17/Dec/10 3:21pm

I can't participate as it is a few weeks before I get back in the country. I have previously ridden all but the state highway 3 section and I can attest to the fantistic scenery, quite different from anywhere else in NZ and very spectacular in it's own way.

Sifter and SimonK, if you've not already, check out the loop going up the Turakina valley from SH3 to SH49 then back again down the Whangaehu valley. There is good potential to add extra distance by doing a loop over the Rangiteiki river on the way up as well.
jacks0n0
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Wed 5/Jan/11 9:51am

Folks - I hope your preparation's going well! Remember you can tune your route to your own preferences, taking into account surface and distance. It will be fun to see where we've all been when we regroup in the evenings. Given that Whangamomona is in the middle of nowhere (pretty much literally), it looks like we'll have access to a grocery service and won't need to haul two half days' food from Taumarunui. I'll post more details on that in mid-Jan, once I've ironed out the process with the hotel. Please don't contact them yourselves just yet!
sifter

Postby jimmi on Wed 5/Jan/11 12:21pm

I hope someone is keen / mad enough to try the following route from Raetihi to Whangamomona.........Raetihi - Ruatiti - Mangapurua - Whakahoro - Te Maire then cut across to Whangamomona.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Wed 5/Jan/11 2:35pm

jimmi wrote:I hope someone is keen / mad enough to try the following route from Raetihi to Whangamomona.........Raetihi - Ruatiti - Mangapurua - Whakahoro - Te Maire then cut across to Whangamomona.

Not me.
Would be nice to get up Turoa that morning, but with the trip over from Palmy day one is 230km so things might be a little tender on day two.
znomit

Postby Simonk on Wed 5/Jan/11 10:03pm

jimmi wrote:I hope someone is keen / mad enough to try the following route from Raetihi to Whangamomona.........Raetihi - Ruatiti - Mangapurua - Whakahoro - Te Maire then cut across to Whangamomona.

That's crazy talk...this Feb, at least. The track up to Whakahoro should be in great condition by March. The bit north from Whakahoro has excellent potential - hopefully it'll be a rideable option in time for the second Tawhio in 2013. If access through upper Ruatiti could be sorted, I'd be keen to go that way and pop out at Owhango.

Whichever way, this is going to be fun!
Simonk

Postby znomit on Wed 19/Jan/11 10:30pm

Just a couple of detours for me I think.
Screen shot 2011-01-10 at 5.59.14 PM.png
znomit

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Events | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts