Car Advise Please....

Postby Spokes on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:32pm

My beloved Commodore got wiped out last weekend by a boi racer.

So im looking for new wheels. Ive looked at Primeras etc and they seem ok.

But ive seen a few Mitsi Diamante's going for not many dollars for low ks. As i like big cars these appear to be a good option. But why are they so cheap? Are they shit with hidden problems?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Car Advise Please....

Postby Zoom on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:37pm

I had a brand new 2001 Diamante that I drove for 3 years and did 120,000km in. 3.5l, heaps of power, front wheel drive though, the only issue was the electric window electrical system broke, otherwise it ran well. The fit out was basic however that is MItsi for you
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby dented on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:38pm

Why are they cheap? Its hard to explain that without coming across like a racist, which Im not.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby rmare on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:40pm

Our Primera did 350,000km and we sold it still going well. Very reliable, did a clutch and thats about it other then routine maint.
rmare
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Zoom on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:40pm

dented wrote:Why are they cheap? Its hard to explain that without coming across like a racist, which Im not.

Cos they are Jap not Aus - is that racist? People not want over powered Jap cars?
Zoom

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:42pm

they are one of the fastest devaluing cars around... new they was 70k a few years under the belt and they could be had for 6k even!
mitsy are thirsty and their factory parts are a rip
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby herbman on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:42pm

they are a car starting with M

nice to drive but $$$ when they break, and as with cars that start with M its not a matter if they break but when
herbman
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:44pm

herbman wrote:they are a car starting with M

nice to drive but $$$ when they break, and as with cars that start with M its nopt a matter if they break but when

That's the diesel car anecdote too...
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:44pm

get a nissan
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Zoom on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:46pm

herbman wrote:they are a car starting with M

nice to drive but $$$ when they break, and as with cars that start with M its not a matter if they break but when

1/2 the price of Aus = lots of reapirs :)

Checkout the cambelt replacement cost
Zoom

Postby dented on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:47pm

Zoom wrote:
dented wrote:Why are they cheap? Its hard to explain that without coming across like a racist, which Im not.

Cos they are Jap not Aus - is that racist? People not want over powered Jap cars?

No, thats not it.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Spokes on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:48pm

shmoodiver wrote:get a nissan

Well have looked at a few primeras and a UK GT one that was nice. Few dings but that does not bother me for a cheap car.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Zoom on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:49pm

dented wrote:
Zoom wrote:

No, thats not it.

Or, they are just not cool. I enjoyed but won't have bought it myself.
Zoom

Postby blackadder63 on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:50pm

Mitsubishi Diamante: Weak points: Auto trans can play up and can be expensive to fix. Other than that...make sure the cambelt/waterpump/tensioners and idlers have been done every 100kms, and the coolant and auto trans fluid are in good condition. They do get a bit of a bad wrap as the repairs can be expensive, but if you want a large roomy car thats fairly economical you would probably be ok so long as the kms arent too high. Get your local workshop to check it out.... :)
blackadder63
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 11/Nov/10 8:50pm

dented wrote:
Zoom wrote:

No, thats not it.

:lol:

i got it :D
shmoodiver

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts