Bolt-on Quick Releases On Horizontal Dropouts

Postby lizarnator on Fri 29/Oct/10 8:50pm

Has anyone used bolt on quick-releases like this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26622
i am wondering as i have a rear hub that is quick release but my frame has horizontal dropouts, i want to know if the bolt on quick releases are strong enough to hold my wheel in place when i pull it back to tension the wheel. i ride dj, street, park and light DH so it needs to have a good hold.

Thanks
lizarnator
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Bolt-on Quick Releases On Horizontal Dropouts

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 29/Oct/10 9:29pm

I would be using a good quality shimano skewer and a set of chain tugs, rather than that particular skewer
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 29/Oct/10 9:33pm

pushbikerider wrote:I would be using a good quality shimano skewer and a set of chain tugs, rather than that particular skewer

:withstupid:

yep, chain tug and shimanau qr will do the trick
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Garth on Fri 29/Oct/10 9:39pm

These aren't technically quick releases. You still need to tighten them with an Allen key.
If you want a bolt on system just thread the inside of your axel with a M6 tap and put 6mm bolts in. I have some I can sell to you for peanuts if you like.
Garth
"My other bike is a..... singlespeed"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Nick_K on Fri 29/Oct/10 10:18pm

I've used those same skewers for a number of years on a ss with horizontal drops.

Never had a problem with slippage. Cheap and pretty light (around 40g from memory)
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Owen on Fri 29/Oct/10 11:02pm

Ive used the very same, it slipped all over the show (700 wheel, 45-16 ratio) and I eventually snapped it through over tightening in an attempt to stop it moving. Do what the others say, Shimano closed cam QR with tugs. Garth's trick sounds good too, Im going to try that next time Ive got some spare time around a tap and die.
Owen
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby lizarnator on Sat 30/Oct/10 8:50am

i will get some chain tugs then, Thanks a lot guys :)
lizarnator
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby irockhahaha on Wed 3/Nov/10 8:10am

Garth wrote:These aren't technically quick releases. You still need to tighten them with an Allen key.
If you want a bolt on system just thread the inside of your axel with a M6 tap and put 6mm bolts in. I have some I can sell to you for peanuts if you like.

+1 did it on my old dmr its strange how its the perfect size for it i ran m6x30mm just because i wasnt sure it hadles failed spins etc at the skate park
irockhahaha
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 3/Nov/10 11:35am

Garth wrote:These aren't technically quick releases. You still need to tighten them with an Allen key.

Do this, and as a bonus it should make the back of your bike stiffer, hu hur! :thumbsup:
And possibly lighter even. :cool:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby OneTrackMind on Sat 6/Nov/10 8:57pm

I have those skewers on a commuter to make the wheels just a tad harder to steal. You still have the same issue with the quick release axle compressing the wheel bearings if you really clamp it up hard.

I converted a 135mm spaced rear quick release wheel to 130mm bolt on a couple of weeks ago. If your hub is of the plain threaded axle type, with cones, spacers and lock nuts on it, then I'd suggest doing the conversion. With mine, I just took an old wheel and pulled the axle out and switch it into the new wheel. Now I've got a bolt on (where the axle pokes out each side of the drops and a nut goes on it) wheel that'll take 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes ... although I have an 8 speed cassette on there and use it as a single speed ... it's my junker commuter bike.

IMHO this would provide the best solution.

-Chris
OneTrackMind
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Mountain Biking | Singlespeed - Latest Posts