What Did You Buy From Wigglecrc This Week?

Postby JAY DUB on Thu 28/Oct/10 6:42pm

Hey has anyone imported stuff from wiggle? Are wheels around the $1200 mark likely to attract import GST or duties or whatever they do?
JAY DUB
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Re: Wiggle - Import Tax

Postby Pies on Thu 28/Oct/10 6:44pm

Yes, I understnad that if the tax payable is more than $50 then they will collect it. But you could get lucky and slip through. When GST was 12.5% the limit was around $400 before you got taxed.
Pies
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby JAY DUB on Thu 28/Oct/10 6:58pm

Bugger, that sux. Anyone know how likely you can slip though?
JAY DUB
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby jeyboi on Thu 28/Oct/10 7:05pm

22.6% likelihood.
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby musta on Thu 28/Oct/10 7:08pm

Say they are 'used'
2nd hand items technically would have no market value.
musta
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 28/Oct/10 7:10pm

just accept that you will be paying gst on the purchase
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 28/Oct/10 7:16pm

musta wrote:Say they are 'used'
2nd hand items technically would have no market value.

Wrong! 2nd hand items attract the same GST and duty as applicable to new items. Only exception would be household items imported as an immigrants effects.
You pay for them they have a value.
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby musta on Thu 28/Oct/10 7:29pm

O ok, that's what I've heard people do to avoid it.

Maybe it doesn't work then.
musta
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Thu 28/Oct/10 7:55pm

Several times I have seen the grim results of people trying to slip one past customs - you may possibly get away with it, but they are a looooong way from being idiots and if they do catch you they can fine you and/or confiscate your goods on top of demanding you pay what you owe in the first place. That would make the puny savings you might have made turn into a real expensive set of wheels...

Don't do it. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 28/Oct/10 8:03pm

Generally for overseas shipping an invoice copy is attached as a packing slip on outside of box. It details nature of goods and value. Wiggle aren't going to be in the business of fiddling that.

But....if you have fambly or friends in UK, there is a better chance that if they send it with the nature of the goods put as 'gift'.

This has worked for me, but you do need to factor GST in case of a deeper look by customs.

And, sometimes they just slip through unnoticed. I bought in a $900 box from overseas and it turned up no comments.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby razza on Thu 28/Oct/10 8:37pm

From my experience importing brand new car parts I found that things coming in via Fedex, UPS, DHL would automatically incur duty/GST.

For anything that I ever had come in via NZPost I never once got caught by Customs.
razza
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby JimmyM on Thu 28/Oct/10 8:38pm

I have brought in 2 orders from UK online stores lately, one just prior to GST increase was an $565 order that incurred GST and Import Levy and Biosecurity fees which all items do now of $110.
Second order was $450 worth and did not incur anything even though it was eligible according to the customs site.
I was prepared to pay GST for both items but the new fees they tack on are more than I was expecting ~ $40!
JimmyM
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 28/Oct/10 8:51pm

razza wrote:From my experience importing brand new car parts I found that things coming in via Fedex, UPS, DHL would automatically incur duty/GST.

For anything that I ever had come in via NZPost I never once got caught by Customs.

yep I agree. the DHL's of the world make money from processing the clearance. Possible NZPost culture is one of "can't be bothered with the admin hassle and/ or clutter"
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:04pm

cruiser wrote: Wiggle aren't going to be in the business of fiddling that.

I've ordered a few small things with a value of up to $200 and not had to pay anything.
I've only had one big item which I did have to pay for. A mountain bike which cost $1500 from wiggle. All the extras came to about $200. On the Wiggle invoice it said that the item purchased was bicycle tools. The box did contain a multitool for putting the bike together. I was wandering if the reason they put bicycle tools on the invoice is that it tools may have less tax/fees to pay than bikes do. Never looked into it any further to see if that was actually the case.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:11pm

Yep, done it for $1200 and had to go to customs & pay GST but that was it.
Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts