Big Day Out 2011

Postby Hayward on Fri 8/Oct/10 9:15am

Big Day Out 2011 - who's going? Should be a good one for the rock loving punters out there.

Thoughts on the lineup? And the price? :crazy:
Hayward
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Big Day Out 2011

Postby Conners on Fri 8/Oct/10 9:30am

Hayward wrote:And the price? :crazy:

What's wrong with $150?
Given that tickets to AC/DC were $160, Metallica $153.50, U2 $100 for GA, I think that $150 for a full day with some pretty heavy hitters on the international scene is a bargain.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wolffman1 on Fri 8/Oct/10 9:54am

Not for me. They line up looks pretty weak this year and it doesn't seem like they put that much work into the line up. It'll still sell out though.
John butler trio are worth checking out if people go. I saw them a couple years ago and the guy is a phenomenal guitarist, which doesn't come cross so well in his studio stuff. He would be the pick of it for me.
Edward sharp and magnetic zeros would be good to, they are meant to be great live. They used to have about 30 people on stage and would pick up waifs and strays to play in their band for a set.
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Fri 8/Oct/10 9:55am

Conners wrote:

What's wrong with $150?
Given that tickets to AC/DC were $160, Metallica $153.50, U2 $100 for GA, I think that $150 for a full day with some pretty heavy hitters on the international scene is a bargain.

oh yup!
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 8/Oct/10 10:15am

RAMMSTEIN!!!!!!!!

but dealing witn a bunch of hipster douchebags, major crowds and yoof en masse? Nah.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 8/Oct/10 11:11am

Yeah I'm going. Never seen Tool live before. Will be sick!
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Barks on Fri 8/Oct/10 11:21am

I've just shelled out over $100 to go see Megadeth and GWAR at No Sleep Till Auckland, I don't think $150 to see Tool, Deftones and Rammstein is too bad at all..... if you like listening to those bands, if you can't stand them it's probably a waste of money, so meh, if you like, you pay. Simple as that. (I'll be going :satan: )
Barks
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Fri 8/Oct/10 11:42am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:RAMMSTEIN!!!!!!!!

but dealing witn a bunch of hipster douchebags, major crowds and yoof en masse? Nah.

Love them, one of the most fun gigs I've been to before but TBH 3rd band and not so much else I wanna see (wolfmother too) not bothering from chch.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Fri 8/Oct/10 11:58am

speeding_ant wrote:Yeah I'm going. Never seen Tool live before. Will be sick!

BDO is just the wrong venue to see tool though.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 8/Oct/10 12:16pm

I've you've ever seen any Rammstein DVD's (Vokerball particularly) they have a fantastic stage show, which given the BDO constrictions they are unlikely to have here. Plus a shortened set. Plus the aforementioned hipster douchebags, yoof = no from me as well.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Hayward on Fri 8/Oct/10 12:40pm

Conners wrote:

What's wrong with $150?

More because its gone up by about 20 bucks from last year if my memory serves me correctly. Plus with booking fee its more like 160. But yeah, pretty good talent overall IMO.

Looking forward to seeing some of the less prominent acts like Grinderman and Black Keys. Tool will be good (they were last time) but I agree BDO probably isn't the best format for them. I wonder if we'll get passenger live with Deftones.
Hayward
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 8/Oct/10 12:50pm

the only place to see the Black Keys is a dirty sweaty rock and roll club. They were awesome last time (touring Attack & Release)
Henry Dorset Case

Postby philstar on Fri 8/Oct/10 12:56pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:I've you've ever seen any Rammstein DVD's (Vokerball particularly) they have a fantastic stage show, which given the BDO constrictions they are unlikely to have here. Plus a shortened set. Plus the aforementioned hipster douchebags, yoof = no from me as well.

they were a fantastic show when I saw them last time they came to BDO, prety much the same as the live video of them I've seen ( though they may have shortened it a bit).
I was close enough to feal the heat from the flame thrower when it was fired over the crowed. :thumbsup:
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 8/Oct/10 1:13pm

Yerp, nothing enticing me to BDO this year...I must be getting old n crusty.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 8/Oct/10 6:46pm

Tool and Deftones should do some sideshows, I want to see those bands but don't want to stand around in the sun with a bunch of cockmunchers liquored up on Export Gold all day for the priveledge.

Plus the rest of the lineup is epic cockmunching shit
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Music | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper North Island - Latest Posts