Day 1 Cycle Tour

Postby Making-A-Difference on Fri 1/Oct/10 6:01pm

Making A Difference was launched this morning at 6am.....thank you everyone who turned up! We have arrived in Timaru safe and sound. 154Km later.....staying at Timaru Top 10. A bit tired, but all I need is a good feed and bed. Averaged at about 26kph which was a pretty good speed for me. Great bike! More too come tomorrow....Sarah
Making-A-Difference
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Day 1 Cycle Tour On The Lookout For 4wds

Postby tankman on Fri 1/Oct/10 6:08pm

Did you see any 4WDs ? :eh:
tankman
"I can't do what I wanna do with you, you weren't even born in the 80's"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Day 1 Cycle Tour

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 1/Oct/10 8:38pm

ugh, congratulations on surviving the most boring and possibly some of the most inbred road in the country. i cannot think of a single piece of road i'd rather NOT ride. hope the rednecks werent too scary/mean/stupid/...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 1/Oct/10 8:42pm

Hey hey, the show is on the road !! Beautiful day to set off from Chch - nippy in the pre-dawn, but soon blue skies and sunshine. A few of us accompanied Sarah & Lizzie to the outskirts of Chch (some who hadn't seen the seat of a bicycle for a very long time - well done nurse Helen & Lizzie's mum Mary).
Sarah & Lizzie.JPG
Sarah (rider) & Lizzie (support driver) beside their van before heading off this morning on 3000+km / 53 day tour.
P1010054.JPG
The small but enthusiastic send off team just before the tour began at 6.30am this morning.

Follow Sarah & Lizzie's schedule and progress at http://makeadifference.co.nz/
They will be passing a town near you - give em a toot of encouragement :thumbsup:
Glad to hear you 2 in Timmers safe & sound.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Day 2 Of Cycle Tour

Postby Making-A-Difference on Sat 2/Oct/10 2:15pm

204Km laterl, we have arrived in Dunedin....Hills and all. We have been to Cadbury World as a treat. Now have 1 days rest! Yay.
Nothing new to report apart from a very sore bottom!
Making-A-Difference

Re: Day 2 Of Cycle Tour

Postby pedalingkiwi on Sat 2/Oct/10 5:08pm

Hey Sarah & lizzie - great progress - I know it is to schedule but big respect pedaling (and driving very slow !) to Dunners in 2 days :thumbsup:

Can I suggest you just use one thread forthe whole tour instread of a new one each day - that will give a more coherant narrative to your journey .... just click reply below the last post each time you want to post ....
Last edited by pedalingkiwi on Tue 5/Oct/10 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedalingkiwi

Re: Day 2 Of Cycle Tour

Postby Rik on Mon 4/Oct/10 11:08am

pedalingkiwi wrote:Can I suggest you just use one thread forthe whole tour instread of a new one each day - that will give a more coherant narrative to your journey .... just click reply below the last post each time you want to post ....

Magiced!
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Make-a-difference Cycle Tour

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 4/Oct/10 7:52pm

Thanks Rik :thumbsup: Rumour has it Sarah & Lizzie now in Invercargill, & Sarah, in her spare time, is falling off horses !!

Hope you 2 are OK - post us up sometime !! Don't be strangers :(
pedalingkiwi

Postby Iseneye on Tue 5/Oct/10 7:57am

Good effort! Is it wrong that I laughed at the jaded dude in the red hoodie holding the good luck sign?
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 5/Oct/10 8:18pm

Iseneye wrote:Is it wrong that I laughed at the jaded dude in the red hoodie holding the good luck sign?

probably - being a teenager he isn't used to being outa bed before dawn but he fronted to support his peers :thumbsup:

In the absence of first hand reports this is the latest update ;
"Sarah fell off a horse on Monday, (I did ask her why she was riding a horse and not a bike). She was airlifted up to Dunedin hospital via helicopter. She was discharged that afternoon with a sore back and said she was concussed. Lizzie drove back up from Invercargill to Dunedin and as I write they are driving back to Invercargill. Their plan is for Sarah to take three days to rest. Lizzie will do some biking and they will drive to the next place in order to keep on schedule. They both sound quite high in spirits"

So there you go - proof that horses are more dangerous than bikes :p
pedalingkiwi

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 6/Oct/10 2:59pm

from Sarah on the tour ;
"Lizzie and I are nearly a week into the ride....and we have are having a great time.

It's official - in Owaka on the way to Invercargill we stopped for a two hour horse trek....but my horse bolted on me and threw me off. It got me concussion, a very sore back, 2 ambulances and a westpac helicopter.

I'm having a few days rest....we are now in Queenstown. Having a great time....rest day today and then on our way to Haast to meet Mike King.

The scenery is so fantastic! Every corner is a postcard.

I hope to see some of you on the journey to either ride with me or give us some support.

Anyway....time to go and we will get back to you in a couple of days.

Sarah & Lizzie :-)"

To make contact and pedal for a while with Sarah on her pedally tour check out the website;
http://makeadifference.co.nz/ :thumbsup:
pedalingkiwi

Postby Making-A-Difference on Sun 10/Oct/10 2:02pm

And now......I am all rest up ready to continue.....no more horses! Ride from Franz Josef to Greymouth tomorrow morning early start.
Making-A-Difference

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts