Dx Lights

Postby grahamt on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:15pm

Got a friend with a dx light that is discharging the battery suddenly after about 30 minutes. It goes fine then stops without warning. The problem seems to be with the light, as the battery is fine when used with my light, and the same thing happened when he tried my battery last night. I suspect that something in the light may be shorting. Some time back someone posted some pictures of some internal tidying they had done to their dx light, on one of the several night lighting threads.

Ive trawled and searched through several threads, and other than the ongoing dx vs night lites debates, not found it - anyone remember where it was?
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Dx Lights

Postby Slim on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:34pm

if you google magicshine light problems, there is oodles of threads on them. They are all the same beast.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:39pm

I'd suspect the protection circuit inside the battery, its probably isolated one pair of the cells, cutting that capacity, and voltage sag would perhaps account for the remaining drop in performance. a ghetto fix would be to bypass the protection circuit, you would have to be super vigilant when charging though ( a better charger than the wall wart would be a good start ) and to stop using the battery as soon as the indicator light on the lighthead goes red ( presuming its working properly)
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby grahamt on Thu 2/Sep/10 12:50pm

slidecontrol wrote:I'd suspect the protection circuit inside the battery, its probably isolated one pair of the cells, cutting that capacity, and voltage sag would perhaps account for the remaining drop in performance. a ghetto fix would be to bypass the protection circuit, you would have to be super vigilant when charging though ( a better charger than the wall wart would be a good start ) and to stop using the battery as soon as the indicator light on the lighthead goes red ( presuming its working properly)

I think its definitely the light and not the battery - last night his failed after about 30 min so I gave him my good spare battery which works fine with my light and the same thing happened after about 30min. No warning, and the LED didn't change colour as it is meant to.
grahamt

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 2/Sep/10 1:07pm

ahh, my bad, ( reading fail ) while the light is going, does it handle a few good shocks or cut out? when the light goes out, does the status led go out as well?
slidecontrol

Postby grahamt on Thu 2/Sep/10 1:54pm

goes out suddenly - and completely discharges battery
grahamt

Postby ultraslowrider on Thu 2/Sep/10 2:16pm

Hang tight for 'KelTravers' to pitch in with an excellent and helpful message pointing you [inderectly] towards his own lights...

EDIT: keltravers has sent a series of PM's to me stating in no uncertain terms that he is not a con man.
Believe what you want
Last edited by ultraslowrider on Fri 3/Sep/10 8:10am, edited 1 time in total.
ultraslowrider
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 2/Sep/10 2:17pm

might be time to crack the lighthead open and look for any loose wires or damaged components. the battery probably won;t like being completely discharged that fast either
slidecontrol

Postby grahamt on Thu 2/Sep/10 2:29pm

ultraslowrider wrote:Hang tight for 'KelTravers' to pitch in with an excellent and helpful message pointing you [inderectly] towards his own lights... P.S. don't buy lights off him, he's a con man.

No worries there - me and my riding mates have about ten sets between us and this is the only one that has had any issues after 2 years.
grahamt

Postby grahamt on Thu 2/Sep/10 2:30pm

slidecontrol wrote:might be time to crack the lighthead open and look for any loose wires or damaged components. the battery probably won;t like being completely discharged that fast either

Yea - thats why I started the thread - I remember someone posting pictures on a previous thread of some minor changes they had made to improve theirs, but can't find them.
grahamt

Postby RussS on Thu 2/Sep/10 3:02pm

RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby grahamt on Thu 2/Sep/10 3:12pm

RussS wrote:Pretty sure it is in this thread

http://www.vorb.org.nz/building-night-lights-t55312.html

Thanks very muchly - found what I was looking for on Page 58 :thumbsup:
grahamt

Postby keltravers on Thu 2/Sep/10 8:31pm

You can pm or email me and I can inform you how to repair it or to identify what is wrong
keltravers
"Dodgy boats and dodgy lights"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby ultraslowrider on Thu 2/Sep/10 9:25pm

ultraslowrider wrote:Hang tight for 'KelTravers' to pitch in with an excellent and helpful message pointing you [inderectly] towards his own lights... P.S. don't buy lights off him, he's a con man.

keltravers wrote:You can pm or email me and I can inform you how to repair it or to identify what is wrong

What was that I was saying?
ultraslowrider
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby bubbaa on Thu 2/Sep/10 9:32pm

:lol:
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts