The Dual Motutapu-rangitoto Traverse

Postby ufo on Mon 16/Aug/10 5:13pm

Saturday 26 March 2011 will see the annual Dual Motutapu–Rangitoto event take place for the third time on the islands which form part of the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park established in 2000.

The format will be similar to last years but in addition to the distances of a 30km or 50km mountain bike or a 21km or 42km run for the first time in the event’s three year history there will also be a new 10km run/walk option.

Entries open on 30 August 2010 - be quick, numbers are limited and this event will sell out!

Details can be found on www.thedual.co.nz
ufo
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Re: The Dual Motutapu-rangitoto Traverse

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 16/Nov/10 4:10pm

Has anyone done the 50km mountain bike option?

My partner is doing the marathon, and she wants me to to the mountain bike option. I don't really want to spend $136 to do an event that I would be bored and disappointed with

Looking at the web site, it doesn't really show how technical the terrain is. It course looks like it's largely made up of boring farmland and gravel roads, not really riding conditions to get me excited.

What is the approx. break down % of the types of terrain listed below.

50km mountain bike
The 50km mountain bike starts and finishes at sea level at Home Bay, Motutapu. The 50km mountain bike is a single loop course event, and includes contrasting sections on the following terrain; gravel road, single track (forest & volcanic / lava sections), and wide flowing grass track and trails. The total ascent (ie. vertical metres gained) over the course is 1334 metres.

Course terrain breakdown;

* Gravel road
* Single track (forest & volcanic / lava)
* Grass track & trail
* 30km mountain bike

Also I'm assuming my 3" XC bike would be more suited than my 6"AM.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby blackadder63 on Tue 16/Nov/10 6:07pm

Yes, you are right....a lot of paddocks and gravel road, there is nothing technical apart from the climb to the summit on skittery volcanic stones, and the descent is very fast and a bit sketchy in places. I did it the first year, really enjoyed riding somewhere I wouldnt usually get to ride. I wouldnt do it every year, might go again in 2011 as it is a pretty unique event. The scenery is superb (worth going for that alone at least once), and its a pretty cool way to spend a Saturday with other like minded folks having a great time in the sun. Its not a cheap event, but you get the ferry trip both ways and its a fundraiser for the trust.
blackadder63
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby ratrod on Tue 16/Nov/10 7:13pm

Did the first one. Farm land was last and lame. Good for a visit but there are far better places for a pedal.
ratrod
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Wed 17/Nov/10 8:04am

Hmm, may be I just ride it for the experience, views and terrain that is on opening to mtb's on special events.
kiwi_zg

Postby 1mad-dog on Wed 17/Nov/10 2:49pm

Yes, I hear that it's a challenge from an energy sapping ride over farmland perspective more so than an overly technical ride. I believe even the run up Rangitoto isn't as tough as could be expected (and hill climbing isn't my favourite aspect of cycling)

But, I'm a local that has never set foot on either Rangitoto or Motutapu, so am keen to try this event out
1mad-dog
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby trancemaster on Wed 17/Nov/10 4:20pm

I passed on the 1st year was a bit sceptical, camped over and did the 50k this year and was really impressed (10th/ 250) ; ok its not "singletrack" but good all round terrain; suited to xc hardtail but soft not amiss. recommended. dont know why totalsport charges the same price for 42T race on public access trails though ...
trancemaster

Postby blackadder63 on Wed 17/Nov/10 6:19pm

....because they are a business with staff to pay (they do it well :thumbsup: ) and we all know Aucklanders would rather turn up and pay some one else to organise a ride than get stuck in and help out running an event :angry:
blackadder63
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby trancemaster on Wed 17/Nov/10 8:40pm

Wow that is a lame retort. Ferry boats and one off access I am happy to pay for. Uh the 42 is open free year round ?!
trancemaster

Postby trancemaster on Thu 18/Nov/10 8:15am

42t race $135 +$24 shuttle. bloody heck. the local operators should have run that event al lot cheaper
trancemaster

Postby mudguard on Thu 18/Nov/10 8:31am

trancemaster wrote:42t race $135 +$24 shuttle. bloody heck. the local operators should have run that event al lot cheaper

I think the key word in here is "should". If no one else is doing it, then someone can charge what they want.

I'd like to ride on Motatapu, maybe convinve the missus to, (Or steal her bike for it). I'm not so sure about riding my 16kg bike on grass.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Whoops on Thu 18/Nov/10 8:51am

FWIW, I'm far from a fan of XC rides, but I'll be doing this event when it rolls around.

Sure the track isn't going to be Rotorua-goodness, but it's a unique event, and something different to do on a bike.

For those of you moaning about the costs... just don't go. Simple.
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby graham on Thu 18/Nov/10 12:42pm

I did this event last year.

Really good atmosphere, and somewhat of an adventure for a city dwelling aucklander.
The tracks not technical, Gravel road "colville" sort of stuff, but the novelty of riding on a relatively untouched island more than makes up for it.

As for the price, The way i looked at it, it was a bit more than the average race, but involves a bit more logistics on the organisers side. If you live in Auckland, you dont have to drive anywhere which saves on time and money.

Overall, awesome day out right in the CBD's backyard. Im definately doing it agian
graham
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby kiwi_zg on Thu 18/Nov/10 1:00pm

Whoops wrote:FWIW, I'm far from a fan of XC rides, but I'll be doing this event when it rolls around.

Sure the track isn't going to be Rotorua-goodness, but it's a unique event, and something different to do on a bike.

For those of you moaning about the costs... just don't go. Simple.

For some of us who don't live in the great super city (sarcasm) there is the added cost getting to Auckland, accommodation, rental car, so for some is a bit more than $136.
I'd rather spend the $$ riding Rotovegas, but occasionally I have to make some compromises with the Missus.
kiwi_zg

Postby Whoops on Thu 18/Nov/10 1:18pm

Boo hoo.
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Auckland Region | Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Running | Trail Running | Upper North Island - Latest Posts