Deal Extreme Night Lights - Batteries

Postby globe on Wed 28/Jul/10 10:19pm

Got a couple of the deal extreme P7 led lights a few months ago. real good deal, great light.

Now one of the battery packs seems to be failing and I am only getting about 45 - 60mins out of it. Anyone else had issues as this and managed to come up with a good resolution or build an alternative battery set up for them ?

Thanks in advance.
globe
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Deal Extreme Night Lights - Batteries

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 28/Jul/10 10:21pm

PM Keltravers

He sells the same thing
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby keltravers on Wed 28/Jul/10 10:24pm

I have warned people many times about this in various forums.
Remove the shrink wrap and check for water damage to the circuit board.
You can run between 6-14Volts through the driver
You can send it back to DX but they only warranty the battery one month.
We get calls and emails daily from people having the same issues as you with DX and other brand batteries.
Go to a bike shop and buy one of theirs. If it fails they will replace it.
keltravers
"Dodgy boats and dodgy lights"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby danose on Thu 29/Jul/10 9:17am

cheap batteries do randomly die - and water intrusion is also a common issue on those ( battery only has heatshrink on it, not propely sealed). I'd just order a replacement off DX, and when it arrive seal it properly
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby globe on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:10am

danose wrote:cheap batteries do randomly die - and water intrusion is also a common issue on those ( battery only has heatshrink on it, not propely sealed). I'd just order a replacement off DX, and when it arrive seal it properly

Interesting as I did take the time before I rode with them to stick some old tyre tube around them (as I saw on this or another forum) to help waterproof them. Must just be a dodgy battery. KNow if I can get replacements at somewhere like Jaycar.

What I was really hoping to do (but not having a clue about electronics etc) was to be able to replace them with some of those everyready rechargable batteries that I can just pop into a holder. Any idea if this would work ?
globe

Postby danose on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:23am

globe wrote:Interesting as I did take the time before I rode with them to stick some old tyre tube around them (as I saw on this or another forum) to help waterproof them. Must just be a dodgy battery. KNow if I can get replacements at somewhere like Jaycar.

you can actually get the 'proper' battery as a spare from DX

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32756

I'd recommend that since you know it'll match the charger and the light

What I was really hoping to do (but not having a clue about electronics etc) was to be able to replace them with some of those everyready rechargable batteries that I can just pop into a holder. Any idea if this would work ?

you could - trouble is getting the voltage high enough ( those lights use 2 18650 cells in series to get 7.4v out - nimh is only 1.2V per cell, so you'd need a 6 cell holder and even then you'd be about 0.2V short - and it's a good question is whether the driver will like being fed 9.6V off an 8 cell holder).

If you have a spare 6 cell AA holder you could try (and see what runtimes/brightness are like) - but personally give the cost of 6 nimh AAs vs the proper li-ion battery I'd just order the li-ion
danose

Postby keltravers on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:27am

Jaycar don't have anything of a similar capacity that will give you a good run time. The RC batteries may work but then you have to buy a charger etc and the cost will explode on you.

You can get Ni Cad recharge bats at Jaycar but once again they won't give you any run time and you need a charger.

You can run them on a lead acid but that's heavy.

The problem may not be water but the cheap chinese cells that DX use or the even cheaper circuit boards that are between the battery packs and the output lead. (we identified this very early on and changed the specs) This has been most of the problems with the DX batteries.

Good luck
keltravers
"Dodgy boats and dodgy lights"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby globe on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:34am

danose wrote:you can actually get the 'proper' battery as a spare from DX

Yeah I saw those last night but once bitten twice shy and all that....
globe

Postby danose on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:41am

keltravers wrote:You can get Ni Cad recharge bats at Jaycar but once again they won't give you any run time and you need a charger.

you still living in the 80s Kel :satan: I don't think anyone used nicad any more (memory issues, low power density, high self-discharge rates). Suggest lead/acid as an alternative is even funnier :D

nimh is a perfectly viable alternative to li-ion - lower power density and some self-discharge issues, but nowhere near as craptastic as nicad
danose

Postby Conners on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:50am

I've always wondered - why do we call them night lights? It's not like you'd use 'em during the day? :blink:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby danose on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:54am

Conners wrote:I've always wondered - why do we call them night lights? It's not like you'd use 'em during the day? :blink:

yep - surely 'riding lights' would make more sense - i.e. they're designed for riding to let you see stuff, as opposed to a typical blinklie which is a 'safety light' - lets people see you but doesn't really light up the terrain in any meaningful way

same reason we refer to them as 'driving lights' on cars
danose

Postby scatter on Thu 29/Jul/10 11:54am

Lights and light weenies suck!
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/Jul/10 12:10pm

Conners wrote:I've always wondered - why do we call them night lights? It's not like you'd use 'em during the day? :blink:

Maybe from the company name "night lightning", which (along with home made ones) was pretty much the lights everyone had back when riding at night became the big thing a few years back?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby danose on Thu 29/Jul/10 12:28pm

scatter wrote:Lights and light weenies suck!

:D :p I though slim would be returning to normality now that he's actually got it built? or is he eyeing up mk3 already...
danose

Postby Trail on Thu 29/Jul/10 12:37pm

happybaboon wrote:

Maybe from the company name "night lightning", which (along with home made ones) was pretty much the lights everyone had back when riding at night became the big thing a few years back?

I think Night Lightning actually took their name from the night lights that people were using...

I think the name for the lights probably came from it being call "night riding" and so the name is a shorted version of "lights for night riding on a mountain bike"
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts