Which Wheels To Keep Or Sell? - Mavic Or Dtswiss

Postby froutts on Fri 16/Jul/10 8:51pm

OK, please vote and tell me what you think.

New (2nd hand 2008) bike has (specialized) DT Swiss 420sl wheelset, and I am selling a bike with older Mavic crossmax ssc wheels.
Would you keep the dt swiss or keep the mavics?

Thanks, really appreciate your opinion, as I don't want to sell the bike with mavics and then regret it, or vice versa.

FWIW > both ride fine, Mavic are running tubeless, but the DT swiss could also be converted. Both are light, but I don't know what you more experienced serious mtb'ers would go for.
froutts
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Which Wheelsto Keep? - Mavic Or Dtswiss

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 16/Jul/10 8:53pm

dt swiss will have nicer hubses and freewheels and shiz
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Which Wheelsto Keep? - Mavic Or Dtswiss

Postby disoriented on Fri 16/Jul/10 8:55pm

I would keep the dt swiss wheels as the free hub on the mavics is pooess
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Which Wheels To Keep Or Sell? - Mavic Or Dtswiss

Postby Spokes on Fri 16/Jul/10 8:57pm

DT.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby jeyboi on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:02pm

Depends.

What rear hub on the DT wheels? They made some wheelsets with the 420SL rims and a speccy stout front hub and a Shimano 525 rear (AKA a ratcheting boat anchor). If they're DT branded they could still be fairly average - the DT370 hubs that came out on Giants a couple of years back are actually designed for cycle touring, not MTB (so they didn't always last too well).
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby froutts on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:09pm

Hi, one of the hubs is a sout and other is a dt swiss,
froutts

Postby wachtourak on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:10pm

Keep the Mavics IMO, tubeless is awesome and proper UST tubeless is better than some converted bollocks
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby jeyboi on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:15pm

froutts wrote:Hi, one of the hubs is a stout and other is a dt swiss,

it's prolly a 340 in that case (I love interweb guessing games). The mavics will be a bit lighter and UST, so if they're in good nick I'd keep the Mavic over the DTs.
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby froutts on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:19pm

Thanks all, Are the dt swiss hubs really so not good that the crossmax although a few years older would be better?
froutts

Postby Nick_K on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:29pm

DT 370s aren't up to the usual quality of DT. They only have a 2 prawl freehub not the excellant ratchet system of the better DT hubs.

If the mavic are in good cond they would probably be my choice. (Actually I'd sell both pairs and use the $$ towards one good pair of hoops)
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 16/Jul/10 9:31pm

Nick_K wrote:DT 370s aren't up to the usual quality of DT. They only have a 2 prawl freehub not the excellant ratchet system of the better DT hubs.

If the mavic are in good cond they would probably be my choice. (Actually I'd sell both pairs and use the $$ towards one good pair of hoops)

:withstupid:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Lynaire on Wed 21/Jul/10 5:58pm

If it was me I would sell the Mavics ... just because after a certain period of time the bladed spokes are really hard to retension, leading to lots of exciting chink chink noises when you ride! And they get a bit soft too, which is ok for day to day stuff but not so awesome for the racy stuff =) I've just had the same choice! Although not the DT Swiss sadly ...
Lynaire
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby froutts on Wed 21/Jul/10 6:55pm

Thanks all for the help. I have kept the dt swiss, I will be upgrading the rear hub at some point, but they ride nice and as last post says they are newer so hopefully good for longer than the mavics, which are also really lovely wheelset.
froutts

Adventure Racing | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport - Latest Posts