Rate My Brakes. Juict 5's

Postby froutts on Fri 9/Jul/10 4:55pm

Tell me what you think.

I have used many brakes, my favourite so far have been xtr. I have just got a bike which has juicy 5's on, wondered what y'all thought of 'em. Should i be thinking of taking the plunge and upgrading to xtr or somethng better?
My riding is general xc with occasional steeper rougher bits. I am heavy and not as athletic as I once was, so good stopping on the long downhills is vital!

Thanks for your help, I can't really afford to spend too much more, but i need to have confidence in my brakes.
froutts
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Rate My Brakes. Juict 5's

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 9/Jul/10 4:58pm

see what they run like, juicy 5's are moar powerfull than xtr's but if it was power you're looking for get some elixers.
lotsa peeps on this forum will bag juicy brakes but i've never had a problem with them
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 9/Jul/10 5:01pm

shmoodiver wrote:see what they run like, juicy 5's are moar powerfull than xtr's but if it was power you're looking for get some elixers.
lotsa peeps on this forum will bag juicy brakes but i've never had a problem with them

:withstupid:

Elixirs ftw. Taperbore technology makes up for the 2 extra pots saint has. I'm running carbon ones on my DH bike and have some standar "Elixir R" ones for my other fr/am rig. They're awesome! I've had Juicy 3's and 7's and I rate the Elixir Rs higher than both.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby r-y-d-a on Fri 9/Jul/10 5:01pm

juicy brakes are unreliable from my experience.
i owned a set of xts for about 2 years they didnt need any maintenance
now i have got a bike which came with basically new brakes (juicy 7s) and they crapped out on my first race..even though they were feeling mean and were working amazingly before hand.
i'd say xt's they're the complete package.
r-y-d-a
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby blackadder63 on Fri 9/Jul/10 7:27pm

Ive got 3 bikes with discs... hayes on a Scott, juicey 5's on a Scott and shimano on a Merida...Im no light weight at 95-100kgs. Never had any problems with any of them reliability wise but have found a big difference in pads and performance. Some bed in quickly from new, some dont. After changing pads on any of the disc brakes I find they work best after giving them a decent bedding in by running them pretty hard on a long road down hill...acouple of stops from 60km hr with my weight behind it gets them pretty hot and they seem to work primo then on. :)
blackadder63
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby froutts on Fri 9/Jul/10 7:38pm

Thanks for your good advice all, will see how they go but if I am not 100% i'll be back here asking "what brakes should i get?" cheers!!
froutts
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 9/Jul/10 7:42pm

easy answer is xc-modulation-set and forget = xt
all mountain-power-modulation = elixers
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby ringo on Fri 9/Jul/10 8:07pm

I found Juicy 5s finicky - when working they are cool. good feel and power. The thing that eventually drove me nuts was having to constantly adjust them to stop them from rubbing, and changing pads is a pain in the arse compared to Shimano. Went for Shimano Deore M595s instead and haven't looked back (although I'm still running Juicy 5s on the rear of the bike until they start annoying me)
ringo
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby VERT on Fri 9/Jul/10 8:12pm

never really like Juicy 5's but loved Juicy 7's and Elixirs in any flavors rock my world
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby FSR_Man on Tue 13/Jul/10 10:46pm

most people that dont like juicys dont get them bled properly. had juicys for 2 years and they were sick! awsome brakes!. elixirs then came out! they are even better. Had elixir Rs with carbon levers on my last bike which were very impressive! now running CRs. both are awsome brakes! highly recomended.

i do like shimano brakes, and they dont need to be bled as often which is always good. However with the extra power of the elixirs they are well worth it! go for the Elixir Rs or CRs if u get annoyed if the levers dont pull in to the same point.
FSR_Man
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Zoom on Tue 13/Jul/10 11:03pm

Another vote for Elixirs - got Elixir 5's and CR's they are both great. Awesome stopping power :)
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Adventure Racing | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport - Latest Posts