The Cracked Carbon Thread

Postby Karlkarlton on Sun 4/Jul/10 9:46pm

Recently cracked my carbon hardtail, it just gave up. Not impacted or anything. I know people who have cracked Specialized hardtails (three people), a Merida hardtail, Avanti hardtails (two people), and a Specialized full sus. All carbon.

What have you cracked? Is there any manufacturer that seems to make stronger/ more durable carbon frames?
Karlkarlton
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: The Cracked Carbon Thread

Postby Spokes on Sun 4/Jul/10 9:48pm

Karlkarlton wrote:Recently cracked my carbon hardtail, it just gave up.

JRA :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby wuffy on Sun 4/Jul/10 9:52pm

If I could have any carbon bike it'd be an Ibis Tranny or Mojo HD. Those Trannys are bombproof.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby XCrazy on Sun 4/Jul/10 9:56pm

I think trek has some massive warranty on their frames so they may not be bombproof but if it does break under "normal use" you should be sorted out.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby MTBChick on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:00pm

The way Bergamont designs its tubing looks pretty durable..
MTBChick
"Learning from the big kids"

Postby banga on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:13pm

XCrazy wrote:I think trek has some massive warranty on their frames so they may not be bombproof but if it does break under "normal use" you should be sorted out.

yip, a mate of mine is onto Trek number 7 or 8. Hardtails first and upgraded to fuels and has had a few of those now too. He's not an "average" rider though.
banga
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby RussS on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:18pm

Cracked my Trance Advanced too. Bloody warranty is taking ages - almost feel like getting the lawyer to start some shit stirring if it doesn't get sorted soon. Having a beer a few weeks ago and I told him about how Giant doesn't have any medium frames available anywhere in the world and that I am waiting for the 2011 models to be constructed - he was not impressed and reckons under our consumer guaruntee act I should either get a full replacement or a full refund. There is apparently wording to the effect of 'timely resolution'.

Have had a few people talking about how brittle carbon frames are, but that is total bullshit. According to a friend that does F1 and aerospace carbon fibre construction - a properly constructed carbon fibre frame should be as durable as any other material and he reckons most frame failures are due to piss poor design and/or bad fabrication. He has broken a few alloy frames too and putting them through an x-ray machine found several areas that were starting to crack due to poor design features.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:31pm

RussS wrote:Cracked my Trance Advanced too. Bloody warranty is taking ages - almost feel like getting the lawyer to start some shit stirring if it doesn't get sorted soon. Having a beer a few weeks ago and I told him about how Giant doesn't have any medium frames available anywhere in the world and that I am waiting for the 2011 models to be constructed - he was not impressed and reckons under our consumer guaruntee act I should either get a full replacement or a full refund. There is apparently wording to the effect of 'timely resolution'.

Have had a few people talking about how brittle carbon frames are, but that is total bullshit. According to a friend that does F1 and aerospace carbon fibre construction - a properly constructed carbon fibre frame should be as durable as any other material and he reckons most frame failures are due to piss poor design and/or bad fabrication. He has broken a few alloy frames too and putting them through an x-ray machine found several areas that were starting to crack due to poor design features.

So if they dont have any frames and are waiting for some to be made, what do you expect them to do? Build one just for you?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby Paul_Bags on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:39pm

Spokes wrote:
RussS wrote:Cracked my Trance Advanced too. Bloody warranty is taking ages - almost feel like getting the lawyer to start some shit stirring if it doesn't get sorted soon. Having a beer a few weeks ago and I told him about how Giant doesn't have any medium frames available anywhere in the world and that I am waiting for the 2011 models to be constructed - he was not impressed and reckons under our consumer guaruntee act I should either get a full replacement or a full refund. There is apparently wording to the effect of 'timely resolution'.

So if they dont have any frames and are waiting for some to be made, what do you expect them to do? Build one just for you?

Or give him a full refund like it says in his post HTH :)
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Jono on Sun 4/Jul/10 11:06pm

Karlkarlton wrote:Recently cracked my carbon hardtail, it just gave up. Not impacted or anything. I know people who have cracked Specialized hardtails (three people), a Merida hardtail, Avanti hardtails (two people), and a Specialized full sus. All carbon.

What have you cracked? Is there any manufacturer that seems to make stronger/ more durable carbon frames?

I cracked my litespeed titanium frame several years back (fixed under warranty). A friend cracked 2 litespeed road frames too. Cracking is not a carbon-specific trait.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Owen on Sun 4/Jul/10 11:09pm

Spokes wrote:
Karlkarlton wrote:Recently cracked my carbon hardtail, it just gave up.

JRA :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stranger things have happened. Not every one is out to take their LBS to the cleaners.
Owen
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby FSR_Man on Sun 4/Jul/10 11:56pm

quit winging about carbon. it is an amazing material to use, it rides way nicer and can make much lighter frames.
FSR_Man
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby its that guy on Mon 5/Jul/10 12:48am

Carbon is the bizzzzz nussssssss... :hmmm:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 5/Jul/10 1:26am

its that guy wrote:Carbon is the bizzzzz nussssssss... :hmmm:

bizzzzzzzzzzz = vuvuzela