Fox 36, Coil Vs Air...

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:32pm

So looking at upgrading my 32's to 36's for more burly terrain. But don't know which would be a better buy? They'd be for AM riding. So up as well as down. On a DMR Ex[alt]

I know the airs will be lighter, but i've heard from people who have ridden both that the coils are much better, small bump sensitivity, overall plushness, and the amount of travel you actually use. Anyone got any experience with them? Any advice would be good.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Fox 36, Coil Vs Air...

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:35pm

dmr ex[alt] is pretty far from all mountain dude. moar hardtail dh. get a trailstar or a transam
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:37pm

and go coil
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby phantasim on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:38pm

I've got a 36 van r.. so plush and simple to set up :love:
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby VERT on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:40pm

I have heard the coil is better too. That said i love my 09 Talas 36 R, they are very plush though i do run 60psi in them
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby P.I.M.P on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:42pm

Coil FTW :thumbsup:
P.I.M.P
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:44pm

shmoodiver wrote:dmr ex[alt] is pretty far from all mountain dude. moar hardtail dh. get a trailstar or a transam

Well its a cheap frame for what it is, and it means I can spend more on the build. 300 off of CRC, for a 16" frame. 7lbs frame weight roughly so it's not an XC rig, but i'm not exactly smooth on the hardtails when I point down. And I want something I can thrash down. How does your trailstar handle with the 44s? They're 120 right? DMR suggests 120-130mm forks, but with my plate in my arm I really need the extra travel up front, otherwise I get bad pain for a few days after. Even just bottle lake with 100mm at the front gets sore after a lap.
wuffy

Postby NickCW on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:45pm

COIL 4 LYF!!11!

My Van R brings me nothing but joy
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:57pm

I've got the '09 Talas 36 with FIT cartridge, and I way prefer it over coil.

Now coil feels too wallowy to me. IMO fox air gives a better platform, and small bump compliance is way better than my old Lyrik coils. I found I had to bump up the rebound on the Talas a little to get next to no stiction.
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 12:58pm

Oh, and how much are you selling the 32's for :D
speeding_ant

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:00pm

wuffy wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:dmr ex[alt] is pretty far from all mountain dude. moar hardtail dh. get a trailstar or a transam

Well its a cheap frame for what it is, and it means I can spend more on the build. 300 off of CRC, for a 16" frame. 7lbs frame weight roughly so it's not an XC rig, but i'm not exactly smooth on the hardtails when I point down. And I want something I can thrash down. How does your trailstar handle with the 44s? They're 120 right? DMR suggests 120-130mm forks, but with my plate in my arm I really need the extra travel up front, otherwise I get bad pain for a few days after. Even just bottle lake with 100mm at the front gets sore after a lap.

the biggest issue with the exalt is it only has a short seat tube so for seated riding you're gonna have a whole shitload of post sticking out and if you're like me it will bend. i've got an 18" trailstar and i still have a lot of post out... the only post i haven't bent so far has been a thomson. also they are rather slack for a hardtail, which will be great for downies but suck big time for upsies. i'm running 44 rc3 Ti's which have totally blown me away by their performance, 140mm of travel and fantastic damping, they sit low in their travel yet don't dive and are fantasticaly progressive, the last 40mm of trave they ramp up and make the fork feel bottomless. i was sceptical at first coming from a lyrik but they're almost as stiff and track HEAPS better.

140 on a hardtail is heaps bro either 32's with a qr15 or marzo's
shmoodiver

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:03pm

shmoodiver wrote:
wuffy wrote:

the biggest issue with the exalt is it only has a short seat tube so for seated riding you're gonna have a whole shitload of post sticking out and if you're like me it will bend. i've got an 18" trailstar and i still have a lot of post out... the only post i haven't bent so far has been a thomson. also they are rather slack for a hardtail, which will be great for downies but suck big time for upsies. i'm running 44 rc3 Ti's which have totally blown me away by their performance, 140mm of travel and fantastic damping, they sit low in their travel yet don't dive and are fantasticaly progressive, the last 40mm of trave they ramp up and make the fork feel bottomless. i was sceptical at first coming from a lyrik but they're almost as stiff and track HEAPS better.

140 on a hardtail is heaps bro either 32's with a qr15 or marzo's

Shmoo's right. I had 160mm lyriks on my trailstar and it was unwieldy :o I always had them set to 145mm, that was the sweet spot for me.
speeding_ant

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:07pm

speeding_ant wrote:Oh, and how much are you selling the 32's for :D

Will have to try a rig with 140's first to see if the geo is comfortable first before I decide what to do. They're 07 Float RLCs.

Yeah i've had a trailstar with Argyles on it before at 100mm.

Shmoo, have you had any troubles with the swapouts? Or anyone else that has a trailstar for that matter? I've only ever had sliding ones with a generic hanger that clips between the dropout and axle nut. They new ones are changeable. I'd be running 2x9 so would need vert dropouts.
Last edited by wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
wuffy

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:10pm

are they qr15?
shmoodiver

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:12pm

Nope 9mm QR.
wuffy

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts