Fractured Head Of Radius-arm

Postby D2 on Thu 24/Jun/10 12:14pm

Wondering if anyone out there has had this. Bone is displaced 3mm. Option of an operation.
Keen to know how recovery has gone with the operation.
D2
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Fractured Head Of Radius-arm

Postby bubbaa on Thu 24/Jun/10 1:11pm

at the risk of being old fashioned I'd suggest that your orthopaedic surgeon is going to give you better information than a bunch of people on the interweb who cannot see you or the xray and most importantly, have a (likely) experience of this injury of ONE case.
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby D2 on Thu 24/Jun/10 1:18pm

Thanks Bubbaa but I can assure you we are listening to him. If a bone displacement is 2mm or less they don't operate and if 4mm and above they do hence the situation we have off the displacement being in this grey zone of your own decision. Any operation comes with its own risks so hence my asking - and also needs to be carried out within the 1st 6 weeks.
Really would like to hear of someone who has had the operation or decided against it and their progress back to full recovery.
Thanks
D2

Postby bubbaa on Thu 24/Jun/10 1:25pm

In that case is it excision of the radial head or ORIF proposed? (going for ride back later)
bubbaa
"bite me"

Postby cruiser on Thu 24/Jun/10 2:33pm

no advice, just my experience:
I've had a more complex operation in the same area, with screws etc (if it's the ORIF option). In my case the only pitfall has been slight discomfort some months later when some of the surrounding muscles that were 'manipulated' during access to the injury are under a big load. *when I take a leak* HUR HUR

But Range Of Movement from the op is perfect. A guy I was rehabing with had the same injury as you, he recovered fine, displaced 5mm with him.

It takes patience and commitment to the rehab program to get the soft tissue back to its best.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby bikerjake on Thu 24/Jun/10 2:36pm

fractured my radial head and split my humerus, had an op as soon as i got to hospital and was racing competive DH 5months later, however i have permenatly lost about 20% flex in my elbow.

was in a full arm cast for 8 weeks and physio for 3months, but yeah tell your doc you are a MTB'er, and therefore whats the best treatment for you, because i re-injured my elbow in a mtb crash about a year later and it was another 3 months off the bike.
bikerjake
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Phippsy on Thu 24/Jun/10 4:32pm

Hey there bit fuzzzy on details but i broke my radius and fractured my ulna , radius was displaced not sure how far but they operated no screws just pushed it back in place.

Full arm cast for 12 weeks and then physio but i still often get pains in my arm

Dunno if this helps :p
Phippsy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby D2 on Thu 24/Jun/10 5:36pm

Thanks everyone so far. good to hear others experience. Bikerjake - had heard that arm would never be fully flexed if op done so good to hear that from you too.
The break is at the elbow end if that is confusing anyone not the wrist. Surgeon said a screw would be inserted.
D2

Postby bikerjake on Thu 24/Jun/10 6:55pm

yea the flexing issue hasnt really hindered me at all in day to day life, and i never noticed it while riding, only thing is during physio it makes the excersises SUPER painfull!

but i dont regret my decsion to go for the op as there is very little chance of re-injuring it as opposed to if it was just left to its own devices
bikerjake
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 24/Jun/10 7:54pm

Broke the head of my left radius at the elbow end, but minimal displacement, healed quick and clean, and I've had no resulting problems.

But a good surgeon is your best source of advice.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby bubbaa on Thu 24/Jun/10 10:05pm

D2 wrote:Thanks everyone so far. good to hear others experience. Bikerjake - had heard that arm would never be fully flexed if op done so good to hear that from you too.
The break is at the elbow end if that is confusing anyone not the wrist. Surgeon said a screw would be inserted.

very significantly different injury "split humerus" is the likely source of the ongoing problem.
so ORIF then.
if they are offering you the choice then there is, very likely no significant difference in functional outcome ie it probably doesn't matter.
I take it the surgeon knows about your recreational, sport and work requirements??
bubbaa
"bite me"

Postby cruiser on Thu 24/Jun/10 11:52pm

D2 wrote: Bikerjake - had heard that arm would never be fully flexed if op done so good to hear that from you too.

Don't accept the fate of an inferior result. They have to advise on the average and worse case scenarios, don't buy it.
They told me and 2 others with same injury arm wouldn't full extend (straighten), but 2 out of 3 have full function. alot depends on the break, but good attitude to rehab and pushing through helps hugely, along with a tidy surgeon.

I don't care what anyone says, I reckon the more important he feels the arm is to you, the more care he will take. Consider your own profession and how you approach some jobs. Docs are no different. make sure surgeon knows how valuable full function is in your life.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts