Graffiti... Art Or A Nuisance?

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 8:49pm

So... I was watching TV one this morning, and they had a Canadian police officer interviewed about graffiti and how a basically all "graffiti artists" end up committing more serious offences, such as domestic abuse etc. and I wondered if I was the only one who was offended by what She said? I don't really appreciate it when people make sweeping generalizations, and then go and inform tens of thousand of people of their opinions. She was clearly uninformed as She did not recognize that there is a difference between graffiti and tagging.
Tagging is in short putting insignia on any such place legal, or illegal.
Graffiti in short is something that has Existed before 30,000 BCE, and is technically art, but the canvas can be anywhere.
I think that She is wrong in what she said, and what she said was a sweeping generalization, and extremely biased as She obviously has not been informed about the artistic side of Graffiti. She also said "There has only been two people who have done graffiti have had their work classed as art" this part is also I found very offensive as she is clearly denying the many Graffiti artists who have been recognized as very talented artists worldwide, take for example: "Banksy" a British graffiti artist, has had more than 20 artworks placed in prestigious museums including Gallery 49, (here is his website http://www.banksy.co.uk).
In conclusion, I think that more people need to know the difference between graffiti, and tagging, and that in my opinion it is art, and if you need some photo's to show what Graffiti is, here are some examples

Have your say! do you think graffiti is art? or not art? give some reasons as well,
graffiti.jpg
Graffiti (this is art)
Bansky_one_nation_under_cctv.jpg
Last edited by kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Graffiti... Art Or A Nuisance?

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Jun/10 8:50pm

Maybe she meant Banksy and some other dude? :eh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 8:54pm

Oli wrote:Maybe she meant Banksy and some other dude? :eh:

Sorry I missed some words out in that quote, she said in the "last fifty years there has only been two", but I have done the research, and there has been hundreds of Graffiti artists who have had artworks in prestigious museums.
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:02pm

I think your definitions need some work. Sure graffiti can be art, but usually it isn't. Tagging is just a form of graffiti, not something entirely different. And I think a walk around any city in the world would show how little of it has any artistic merit at all. Just today my niece's school was covered in graffiti - the "artists" may think it's pretty cool but the kids sure don't.
Oli

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:02pm

more examples of graffiti
banksy graffiti.jpg
banksy-graffiti-street-art-soldier-beth.jpg
a painting in Gaza
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:07pm

Oli wrote:I think your definitions need some work. Sure graffiti can be art, but usually it isn't. Tagging is just a form of graffiti, not something entirely different. And I think a walk around any city in the world would show how little of it has any artistic merit at all. Just today my niece's school was covered in graffiti - the "artists" may think it's pretty cool but the kids sure don't.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&de ... d=0CB4QkAE

Art "the products of human creativity"

Fair enough, (I would like to point out though I am not a graffiti artist, I have no artistic talent... but I do enjoy different forms of art
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby happybaboon on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:09pm

Hard to distinguish. What Banksy does is art, possibly as it's done to provoke thought and to stir other peoples emotions. Or possibly as it takes time, planning and effort. Or possibly part of both. Or possibly part of both of those things and also more stuff.

The "This is my name. I have written it dozens and dozens of times all over the city using those fat tipped solvent markers. I am a giant douchenozzle" tagging isn't art as it's done solely for self-promotion/to claim territory/because they're douchenozzles.

Then there's the inbetween stuff - the guys who pretty much write their name, but do it all styley like. I say that what they do is pretty much harmless and sometimes even looks pretty cool when it's done on out of the way places like the walls beside railway lines, but it's just plain graffiti when it's done on someones property that they're using (like the front wall of their business). But generally those "artistic" taggers steer clear of the places people are actually using and just draw on the underside of bridges and shit, which I'm pretty much alright with.

Summary: Dickwad little taggers with those pens = they can eat a shit. Everyone else = pretty much OK with me.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:12pm

happybaboon wrote:Hard to distinguish. What Banksy does is art, possibly as it's done to provoke thought and to stir other peoples emotions. Or possibly as it takes time, planning and effort. Or possibly part of both. Or possibly part of both of those things and also more stuff.

The "This is my name. I have written it dozens and dozens of times all over the city using those fat tipped solvent markers. I am a giant douchenozzle" tagging isn't art as it's done solely for self-promotion/to claim territory/because they're douchenozzles.

Then there's the inbetween stuff - the guys who pretty much write their name, but do it all styley like. I say that what they do is pretty much harmless and sometimes even looks pretty cool when it's done on out of the way places like the walls beside railway lines, but it's just plain graffiti when it's done on someones property that they're using (like the front wall of their business). But generally those "artistic" taggers steer clear of the places people are actually using and just draw on the underside of bridges and shit, which I'm pretty much alright with.

Summary: Dickwad little taggers with those pens = they can eat a shit. Everyone else = pretty much OK with me.

I completely agree with you.
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby wachtourak on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:14pm

Banksy's stuff tends to be cool but I still disagree with painting some shit on someone elses property without consent

Taggers are fucknuckles and need to be stabbed
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:15pm

wachtourak wrote:Banksy's stuff tends to be cool but I still disagree with painting some shit on someone elses property without consent

absolutely, I forgot to mention, that it is not okay if it is not done on your own property, or in a place were it does not negatively affect anyone
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby wuffy on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:16pm

In Chch, behind the popular skate park, there are train tracks, along these tracks are big concrete walls. They got all the good taggers to do their best work on it, and now it looks amazing. Instead of some big grey wall, theres art. And its excellent art as well. I'm sure people would much rather look at that more than a bland grey wall.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:17pm

wachtourak wrote:Banksy's stuff tends to be cool but I still disagree with painting some shit on someone elses property without consent

Yeah but he normally does his stuff on big buildings and public-owned stuff... Which in my mind is way more OK than tagging someone's garage door or whatever. Also Banksy is so well known now that I reckon a good bit of his work on your property would be worth a bit of coin :thumbsup:
happybaboon

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:19pm

wuffy wrote:In Chch, behind the popular skate park, there are train tracks, along these tracks are big concrete walls. They got all the good taggers to do their best work on it, and now it looks amazing. Instead of some big grey wall, theres art. And its excellent art as well. I'm sure people would much rather look at that more than a bland grey wall.
I agree.
Oli

Postby happybaboon on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:19pm

Oli... art or a nuisance?
happybaboon

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:21pm

happybaboon wrote:Oli... art or a nuisance?

I think he agree's with the idea a colorful wall is much more pleasant to look at than a bland grey wall
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts